How Busy Can It Get?

MauriceMynah

MM the answer is simple, attend the meet in salhouse in May, place the cardboard box strategically in view, announce loudly that you are going to have a go at fitting it this weekend, and offer free drinks to anyone who wishes to assist (by doing the work while you pass the spanners and drinks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Last year I found myself at Beccles yacht station and, as instructed, had dropped the mudweight off the bow. 

My attempts at retrieving said weight could best be described as pathetic.  I couldn't shift it. I had to wait till an octogenarian lady in a wheelchair came past. I asked for her assistance and sure enough the sweet lady went to the bow and retrieved the bloody thing for me.

This reminded me of when I was at Womak and suffered a similar humiliation for the same reason.

Next time, just make sure you tie a piece of rope to said mud weight before you drop it off the bow, with the other end of the rope attached to the boat

That way, to retrieve it just pull in the rope and the weight should still be on the end  

No octogenarian required

You're welcome :default_beerchug:

• Haha 2

Thanks Mr FF. The issue of breaking the suction is one I am aware of, but still left the problem of clearing the gunwhale. The only solution for me was to have the mudweight hanging from the bollards until I was at a side-on mooring where I could deal with it from the bank.

However, I digress. The next stage of this saga was that I realised I was going to need a chain counter as I won't be able to see where abouts the weight is from my position at the helm.

I now know I must have ancestors from oop norf, as when I started investigating "chain counters" my immediate reaction was "HOW MUCH?"

Well another bullet bitten but I know there will be more knock-on costs, like "how much will a stainless steel mudweight cost?".

5 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

No good Gren, I can't see the bow from the helm, with the lid up and it's quite a strong chance that mid broad mooring could be used in the rain.

Maybe a miniature Bombay sapphire attached just before the mud weight. We know you would smell that if it broke :default_biggrin:. Please take no offence. 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

Let's just take a step back for a moment!

If this thing is still in its cardboard box I presume you can still return it?

Have you considered a manual anchor winch, which can do the same job for a mud weight?  Your problem is that you cannot lift the weight on your own.  So why not simply go up to the foredeck, crank a handle and wind it up?  I know for a fact that VETUS make manual winches and there may be several others on the market.  They are easy to use.

This means no extra high tension wiring, no extra batteries, no charge splitting, and all the rest of it.

The actual installation into the foredeck of your boat would not need any more Fibreglass and wood reinforcement, than if you installed an electric motor version.

Let's keep it simple!

• Like 5

Now, I'm not going to derail other threads with this but some comments have been made that have had me thinking.

It is far from unusual for me to make comments that, at the time, strike me as amusing. Sometimes on reflection, I might think better of it, but I let the comment stay, even if an apology is necessary, and one may well follow.

However, never, EVER, have I made such a jest with venom in mind. Nor do I believe has anyone else on this forum. 

If anyone reads any jest or comment on this forum and believes it to be intentionally cruel or in any other way unkind,  then it is my opinion that that reader needs to consider their place in society.

Are they trying to get brownie points by taking a "holyier than thou" attitude? Or have they just succumbed to the madness of political correctness?

If someone thinks that a third party might be offended by some comment or joke, then it is they who are displaying an arrogance a step too far. I for example, would defy anybody to know what I would find offensive or hurtful.

I apologise for the rant, but this is far from the first time I have witnessed fine people having to backtrack on comments they have made because someone has highlighted the possibility that another might not like it.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

MM, Sunbird had a stainless mudweight on a chain. It was never on deck, just left hanging on the chain. We did have a stainless plate fitted, so when raising the weight "blind", a reassuring klunk told us we'd reached apogee! Previously, a horseshoe fender was used.  Why do you need it on deck?

Plate.jpg

horseshoe.jpg

16 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

then it is my opinion that that reader needs to consider their place in society.

Really? I mean REALLY? That is your opinion and I'm glad it is no more than just your opinion!

But you have to accept that everybody is entitled to their opinion whether you happen to agree with their opinion or not. Without opinions there would be no forum. Sometimes voicing ones opinions makes others think a little more closely at their own actions, or may even alter opinions, but they still remain just opinions, no more, no less.

It is purely my own opinion that it is insensitive to be making jokes at the expense of businesses that have now been closed for three nights, and at the expense of the 230 families who have now been displaced from their homes for 3 days. I never suggested that any comments were made with venom but I do think it is insensitive, however well done for whipping up the forum indignation with your hyperbole.

Call it the madness of political correctness and mock if you want. I call it empathy for those going through an unfortunate situation. All I was suggesting on that thread is there is a time and place for making jokes.

Anyway John, I have considered my position in society (whatever the hell that was supposed to mean) and I'm going nowhere. To show you there's no hard feelings I would buy you a pint down The Rumbold Arms, only I can't because it has been closed for the last three days. :default_beerchug:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Could I perhaps suggest, without any wish to provoke dispute, that giving your opinion on a forum, is not the same as trying to tell other members to shut up.

My own posts on this subject have all been simply to make comparison with the situation now, and the 1940s when the bomb was dropped in the first place.

Not even John Cleese can blame anyone for the discovery of an old German bomb.  At least today, the incident is being dealt with in the best and most professional manner with no risk to anyone's life apart from the Army.

Can't we be happy about that?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

that giving your opinion on a forum, is not the same as trying to tell other members to shut up.

I couldn't agree more, but who told other members to shut up, because I didn't, so I don't know why you're mentioning that. I gave an opinion that now is neither the time or place to be making jokes about the ongoing situation, I never at any point told anyone to shut up!!!!!!! I also said perhaps the time for jokes is after the bomb has been safely disposed off, again a suggestion, which is different to telling someone to shut up.

Just in case anyone missed my request on the unexploded bomb thread,

"Please draw a line now and move back to the original subject, this will avoid the need to lock the thread for a cooling off period".

Moving the discussion to another thread does not alter that request.

We have had a number of opinions, please lets avoid it decending into an argument.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4