How Busy Can It Get?

MauriceMynah

Forum is still down and has been for some time now, I've no idea about Richard as I have never met him as far as I know.

As with all forums the wrong mods can cause a lot of problems, luckily we get away easy here. (insert brown nose emoji here)

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Now, this matter has arisen on a different thread and I don't want to derail that thread especially as my motive seems to have been misunderstood. 

It regards the NBF, and it's owner Richard.

I heard he was unwell and that his forum appears to be down. I did not have any direct problem with Richard, it was some unpleasantness from the forum moderators, aimed at me personally that stopped me posting there.

It is with that in mind that I ask  genuinely, how is Richard? And what state is the forum.

The forum is still down and I've no idea if it will be coming back. It's been down some time now. A friend was asking me about Richard only last week, which reminded me that the next time I'm in Oulton Broad I'll take a walk past his boat and check in on him.

If you take a look at the Facebook page for On a Roll there are some contact details, although I don't know if they are still current.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spray said:

We were in Oulton Broad at the weekend and I can confirm that Richard's boat is no longer there and I do not think it was there for most of last year either.

No, he moved moorings some time ago.

• Like 1

I don't remember Richard ever posting on this forum that he moored at OBYS. It might have been common knowledge amongst those that know him and then posted about the last time they stopped and had a chat with him and where they were when it happened etc, and bit by bit it became common knowledge, but was it with his permission? or blessing? 

This is a friendly forum and that leads many to believe they are having a chat with friends down the pub and letting slip far too much personal information. I liken it more to people having a chat in the Big Brother household with about two or three thousand people watching in from home.

It annoys at least one forum member that I occasionally change my forum name or picture. That is part of my privacy and my personal choice and i have my own reasons for doing so. Those who know me know who I am and I make no secret of it.

• Like 2

Yes, it is like talking to friends in the pub. In fact MT, or whatever your name is :default_biggrin: you probably know more about me than my friends down the pub.

I also would just like to add that I like your ever changing Avatar even though I keep reading Mophead :facepalm:and yes, this is a friendly forum, long may it continue too. 

Grace :default_icon_kiss:

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Well now, here we go again. It is libation time again on Bataux Mynah, which has brought to light a number of issues. The first one was,  in which thread of mine should I post this, "how busy" or "A ponder". I decided on this one, as you can see.

Secondly, and rather more importantly a matter of detectors. 

I have nine now, and I have decided that if they all go off at once I shall abandon ship and run away to Basingstoke. 

Of these nine detectors four are smoke and five are CO, and I think one of them is chirruping to inform me its' battery needs changing. Either that or one of my techie pads wants to tell me something. I don't know which. 

I have looked at all the detectors and none of them is displaying anything. No flashing lights, nothing.

I have looked to see it there is a previously unknown detector, but have found none. It is also possible that the errant unit is on one of my neighbours boats, but more likely it's not going to be a detector, it'll be something else entirely. 

As at worst it's only one unit informing me of impending doom, leaving Basingstoke safe from my company... for the time being.

Why Basingstoke? I hear you ask. Well it's further away from my boat than Horning, and many years ago I heard/read/made up, a poem about the place and the idea stuck.

If you find yourself in Basingstoke,  and you haven't any money,

Other people start to laugh, but you won't think it's funny. 

So you head for Barclays Bank, and the hole that's in the wall,

But the bloody things been vandalised and gives no dosh at all.

And that's when you start to kick yourself for being so damned fool rash, 

For going all the way to Basingstoke without your ruddy cash.

Hmm, a libation too many perhaps.

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

My dear chap. It is obvious to me that you have been well and truly stitched up. 

It would seem that people have taken advantage of your kind and friendly demeanour. 

However fear not I am here for you. Rent a newt (A newt is a salamander in the subfamily Pleurodelinae. The terrestrial juvenile phase is called an eft. Hence the word used by conservationists You can eft orf!)

Failing that the bat. At this moment in time the great show stopper is the Barbastelle Bat. This bat is enjoying good PR at this moment in time, stopping roads, dual carriage ways and hundreds of homes being built. Despite the fact that it only comes out at night and nobody that I know has ever seen one. But it has a good following, hence the term he/she is "batty"

This digression is of little comfort to you but it does help with regard to your progress in "going forward" (I read that in a management book on how to win friends and influence people) 

I am expanding my portfolio from Rent a Newt. Hire a Bat. Which has proved very successful.

What you need my dear friend is my exciting new venture.

CANARY CARE.  On your boat, in a aesthetically pleasing cage a wonderful yellow canary. A song in the morning, a little chirp when the lights go out. Day after day. Something to come home too, a friend, a companion. Much loved. And you do not have to walk the wretched thing!

As an extra bonus you can do away with all your silly alarms, batteries, and so forth.

The Canary, your canary, will provide a safe and secure environment. If you awake in the morning and your canary has fallen off its perch and is on its back with its little legs in the air it will have done its job. You will have been saved and aware of  obnoxious fumes.

Sadly we do not hire Canaries because of the high mortality rate. But they are a sound investment . Please PM for latest prices but they do not come cheep.

• Haha 4

We had a message from my father in law’s neighbour. They rushed over as all the fire alarms in his house were going off. He had burnt some toast. He was talking about disabling the alarms, as they are going off frequently, but I’m hoping they are the type where that’s not possible.

It’s more serious than it may seem, as his memory issues mean that he puts food on to cook and then forgets about it. Last time we visited I found a couple of overcooked items in his oven, but behind those were four or five items that had been reduced to charcoal. We reported that to the social worker and he had a visit from a fire protection officer, hence the extra alarms that have been fitted.

It’s just very worrying. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Thank you all for your contributions, time for an update.

The "chirrup" is not from an alarm (or a canary) but I still have no idea from whence it comes. The frequency of the noise is highly variable and if anything seems to be linked with wind strength and direction. 

Basingstoke seems safe from me though Eastbourne might still be in the firing line. Sadly I know of no poetry regarding Eastbourne so it's standing as a sanctuary destination is a touch questionable. 

Apart from a constipated mallard  I can think of no waterside beastie that could be responsible for the noise, but I will redouble my efforts to establish the source. (Or sauce if it's a duck.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’m sure a ditty on Eastbourne is not beyond your wit Mr M. Could be easier than Bournemouth anyway, though Poole could be more fruitful poetically.

Margate and Ramsgate sound a bit pedestrian. Somehow Morecambe and Scarborough (Scarborough Fair did quite well) sound a bit better, though in harsh reality probably more chilly and rainy.

Minehead? Nope. 

:default_hiding:

• Haha 1

It's 03:00 and I can't sleep.  I have tossed and turned for the last 4 or 5 hours (well, turned anyway) with no sleep on the horizon. 

I did wonder if a small libation might help,  but I really don't want to start  getting up in the middle of the night for booze, trouble lies in that route, besides,  I don't actually want a drink!!! Yes, you read that correctly.

Now, what to do,,, what to do. If the fishing season was running,  I'd lie here and think about having a go. I could lie here and think about cleaning Nyx, but fantasising is not my strong area, well not about boat cleaning anyway.

I tried just lying in the dark with my eyes closed,  but I just got hot. So I took my leg from under the duvet,  and it got cold. Somehow I don't seem able to switch off, which is odd. Normally I spend most of the day trying to switch on. 

I would have said "trying to turn myself on", but the risk of that being taken the wrong way was far too great. 

There must be a way, there's got to be a way. 

I know, I'll lie here and write a whole load of twaddle.  Nah that's no good, my posts are twaddle anyway.

Do you know... writing this has really woken me up. Sod it. I'm going to pour myself a small libation.  Good night.

• Like 4

Cheers 🥃

I'm in the same boat, well not literally otherwise you'd have noticed. My trusted method which I'm about to employ is to find something like a "very interesting" podcast/radio program and follow it carefully. This method is so successful that over many years I have learnt absolutely nothing.

Goodnight 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'm reminded of Marvin's lullaby from the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy. 

Now the world has gone to bed,
Darkness won't engulf my head,
because I can see by infra-red, Oh how I hate the night.

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I try to count electric sheep,
Sweet dream wishes you can keep, Oh how I hate the night.

• Like 2

MM, You are not alone, I too am awake, however I now plan to hit the hot tub for an hour of relaxation there without having to think, then it will be time to get dried and start work for the day.

the trick is to concentrate on something so boring and dull that you will fall asleep.

• Like 1

one trick I use is playing music very quietly in the background, then as i lay down i can barely hear it, so concentrate on trying to make out the words- leading me to drop straight off, my current background music is status quo.

• Like 2

An owl has started hooting at the nights end, whilst a pigeon has started cooing, welcoming in the first few rays of dawn.

I'm rather hoping that the owl will eat the pigeon,  thus shutting the pair of them up.

I never did have that libation,  and now it's too late... or too early,  not sure which. 

I might try that music trick Grendel,  sadly most of my music has no lyrics.  

The birds have stopped trying to out sing each other, possibly because it's started to rain.

• Like 2