How Busy Can It Get?

MauriceMynah

My pet hate, (which is by way of a warning) is, on receiving a comunication it starts as follows:-

"I share your concerns"

We have found it normally means...."I intend to do (or vote) the opposite" or do nothing

One person here abouts is commonly known as First Name   "I share your concerns" Last Name.

Note how after 75 years I have started using First & Last in place of Christian & Surname.

• Like 2

So, I had a consultant at the hospital where I was being treated who was a very nice, gentle Irishman, lovely accent but after every sentence he would finish with "Do you follow me" it drove me crazy in the end which will explain a lot :default_biggrin:

Dear Floydraser, I believe it's going to be a nice weekend innit. So, I hope you manage to get afloat

Bye. bye, bye, bye, bye, bye, bye, bye :default_biggrin:

Grace x

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

My pet hate, (which is by way of a warning) is, on receiving a comunication it starts as follows:-

"I share your concerns"

We have found it normally means...."I intend to do (or vote) the opposite" or do nothing

One person here abouts is commonly known as First Name   "I share your concerns" Last Name.

Note how after 75 years I have started using First & Last in place of Christian & Surname.

I know what you're saying... :default_coat:

• Like 1

Engineers trying to be trendy would replace "what do you think?" at the end of a sentence with "if that makes sense?"

Your instead of you're.

The Grand Master of all comedy, and punctuation:

Bye Gracie, bye, bye, bye, bye, bye, Laters!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, floydraser said:

"So, have some Madeira M'dear!"

I've got a small cask of it 'ere.

And once it's been opened, you know, it won't keep,

So do drink it up, it will help you to sleep . . . . . 

:default_party0010:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

I know what you're saying..

Incorrect.

The term is "I hear what you're saying" used as a polite and superior dismissive.

Do they know what you are saying?  Almost certainly not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisB said:

I haven't and I don't intend to!

The hanging participle is something I am also fed up with. *

In Norfolk dialect, the sentences are always "sing song" and go up in pitch at the end - as in :

Ha' ya' farrer got a dickey, boy?

Yes, an' he want a fule ter ride him, are ya coming?

Norfolk people never drop their aitches.   :default_smiley-angelic002:

* That is a hanging participle.  :default_coat:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There's an extremely funny meme about the importance of grammar, but it's also filthy and I daren't post it here, even on the jokes thread.

One branch of my family came from the Walsingham area. There's a sign on the way into the village from Fakenham which always used to drive me up the wall. I think it's probably elite level grammar pedantry on my part, so it made my day to discover someone else was obviously even more annoyed and had corrected the issue. I suspect it might have been the ghost of my great, great grandfather who's buried just up the road :default_biggrin:

IMG_0119 (1).jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Sooo, recently had a meeting with a very knowledgeable and helpful rep from a holiday let company.

Finished virtually every sentence with ‘see what I’m saying’

After an hour of this I was ready to explode!

Good job it was a fruitful meeting.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

Why are BBC news and weather presenters unable to pronounce twenty,

There's a certain weather presenter on BBC Look East who always pronounces "strong" as "shtrong". Drives me bonkers. 

• Like 2

Graham and I did some evening classes the couple of years leading up to lockdown. We had a very knowledgeable teacher, very inspiring on his topic, but he inserted the word ‘basically’ in almost every other sentence. Imagine my horror when, the other day, I started a conversation with Graham with the word ‘basically’. Watch out…these things are catching!

When we were teenagers, almost everyone in Holyhead said ‘You know’ in every other sentence. Drove me mad. 

So, I'm not gonna lie to you, I hear what your saying, if I've heard you correctly! I've been blue sky thinking it and could we use another word instead to start a sentence.

Basically, anything but so. We could add to the forum T+Cs that since tweny tweny four it has been unacceptable to start a sentence with so, do you see what I'm saying like!

So, basically, if I'm right, and I heard what your saying, that's probably the most forumites upset by one post! :default_hiding:

• Haha 8
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Meantime said:

We could add to the forum T+Cs that since tweny tweny four it has been unacceptable to start a sentence with so, do you see what I'm saying like!

So, let's run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes it.  Then, assuming on-target client take-up, we can go forward with a ball-park figure.

I used to work for the Yuppies as well!  What is more, I had to translate their gabble into French, for my bemused colleagues in meetings.  Sorry - "workshops".

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

What is more, I had to translate their gabble into French, for my bemused colleagues in meetings.

They do make dreadful fools of themselves, actually.

I was the only English manager in a French company which, of course, conducted all of its business in French.  Until we were sold out to a UK tour operator! They decided to hold a manager's meeting to introduce themselves and outline their plans for the future.  Unfortunately, over the next 5 years I never met one of them who spoke a word of French.

So there we were, all the base managers and their secretary/receptionists, plus the management team from our head office, about 40 in total.  Some "spiv" from London got to his feet, "all done up like a dawg's dinner" and proceeded to give a "bullet point presentation", assisted by an overhead projector.

The first slide came up, with the title on top : MISSION STATEMENT.

All eyes in the room turned to me, to find out what on Earth this meant.  After a couple of minutes of discussion between ourselves, while the spiv from "Human Resources" just stood there, we decided that this expression just didn't exist in French and did not translate.  To say that the rest of his presentation went off like a damp squib, is an understatement!

What really annoyed me was that there we were, the management of what was, at that time, the best hire fleet in Europe, and my friends were so often obliged to sit there all day in these meetings, whilst not understanding more then a handful of the words spoken to them.  When I think of all the boats I could have painted or the engines I could have serviced, while wasting my time on all these "team building" winter conferences . . . .

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

I know what you are saying however I dont understand why at no point in the five years you didnt say something to the management.

I did!

Indeed I did!

The reason I had to suffer them for a further 5 years was because it took that long for them to find the slightest excuse to get rid of me.

I, and my friends and colleagues who had grown up in the hire boat business, had to watch while this shower of "marchands de tapis"  * set about systematically destroying all that we had built, over the years.  I was just one of the "old school" of senior managers who were eased out because we knew more about running a boatyard than they would ever know.

They even managed to kill off the three most prestigious brand names ; Crown Blue Line, Connoisseur and Emerald Star, that they had bought at an exorbitant price, in favour of the ridiculous nick-name "Le Boat".

And look at them now : I went past one of their big bases on the Midi last Tuesday and they had easily less than half the fleet out on hire. 

* A common expression in French which refers to a North African carpet salesman.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Gracie said:

So, I had a consultant at the hospital where I was being treated who was a very nice, gentle Irishman, lovely accent but after every sentence he would finish with "Do you follow me" it drove me crazy in the end which will explain a lot

Well, they think we're idiots! My medical person stops at the of every sentence to say 'is that OK?'. I must try 'No, I don't follow you'.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Now, this matter has arisen on a different thread and I don't want to derail that thread especially as my motive seems to have been misunderstood. 

It regards the NBF, and it's owner Richard.

I heard he was unwell and that his forum appears to be down. I did not have any direct problem with Richard, it was some unpleasantness from the forum moderators, aimed at me personally that stopped me posting there.

It is with that in mind that I ask  genuinely, how is Richard? And what state is the forum.

• Like 4