How Busy Can It Get?

MauriceMynah

13 hours ago, marshman said:

I bet no hire yards fit them!!!!!! 

Which must be why I have never seen or heard of them!

Like Fred, I can't comment as I don't know them but I would just say that the BSS is an installation safety standard but not a building or manufacturing standard.

There is a big difference.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's 03:50 and I'm lying in bed worrying about things. First worry was that I couldn't remember the name of the chap who's dog salivated when a bell rang. All I could think of was Pavlova, then all I could think of was a dog in a ballerina's outfit. The night was not going well. 

No good, I had to Google it. It was Pavlov, but now I couldn't shake the image of a ballet dancing, salivating dog out of my mind, and now I'm wide awake. 

My other worry playing on my mind was... err ... oh how the he'll am I supposed to remember what I was worrying about when all I can think of is this damned dog doing the "dying swan" routine? 

• Haha 8

7 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

how the he'll am I supposed to remember what I was worrying about when all I can think of is this damned dog doing the "dying swan" routine? 

just remember that the swan was dying because it hadnt been fed a merangue based dessert when the bell rang, (this creates all sorts of complications in the theatres when the last call before curtain up bell is sounded.)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 23/10/2023 at 12:20, MauriceMynah said:

Right. I have ordered the £150 unit. It comes as the heater alone. I don't know if the fuel pump comes with it or not, but pipes, silencer etc do not. I shall be using the existing fittings. If the heater kills me... well we live and learn, and I'll never buy another one.

Time for an update MM?

• Like 2

Just now, OldBerkshireBoy said:

What, kept MM all cosy and warm.

Err, no. I was referring to this that you quoted from MM in one of your recent posts…

5 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

If the heater kills me... well we live and learn, and I'll never buy another one.

• Like 1

Right, heaters. 

It has long been a belief of mine that although some Chinese imports are cheap and shoddy,  others are cheap from being sold without quality checking with a resulting high proportion of failures being sold to customers.  I'm pleased to report that the heaters come under that second category. 

When my heater arrived, several people (experienced with heaters) had a look at it some actually commenting positively on the build quality. The device was installed. After about four uses,  it failed. This was not, by me, unexpected.

I purchased a second unit so total price so far £300. Using parts from the second unit my fitter found it to be the thermostat that had failed. 

I have purchased some CO alarms to place near the unit and where I sleep.  This I was going to do anyway so am not including in the running total costs.

So thus far I have the heater installed (but not used as I'm still parrot sitting) and an almost full set of spares.

The next steps are that I shall purchase a replacement thermostat. If my heater keeps blowing them, I shall install the spare heater. The build quality is such that I'm prepared to continue down this route for a while.

I'm using the Eberspatcher exhaust equipment, which fits this unit so I'm content with that. Thus far I've been unable to find anything that justifies the price of the Eberspatcher equipment. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about CO alarms, of which I have two. 

These alarms have LCD displays, I believe showing parts per million of carbon monoxide. Both units are displaying  "0".

Now, I realise that this is a good thing, but if either showed a varying very low figure, I would at least know the display was working. So my questions are, 

How many parts per million represents a safe background count, and where can I get some CO to test the units. This Chinese heater seems to be useless at providing any.