How Busy Can It Get?

MauriceMynah

Can I just say, I love discovering new music and reading about Luca Sestak I bunged this it into Spotfy (yeah I've not bought or listened to a CD since 2010) and found the album in question - what a great artist!  I can see myself listening to this with a glass of Rum watching the sun go down next time I am on Barton Broad..

• Love 1

4 hours ago, WherryNice said:

In case you(or anyone reading this) weren't aware some of the Huawei MiFi units have sockets to connect an external antenna to them, under a little cover next to the charge socket(see pic). 

That's really useful to know

Athough I'm pretty sure that mine doesn't have that, but will check 

However, MMs issue is as much around having a hardwired ethernet connection as the external aerial 

From the datasheet for the unit deebee29 linked to the power supply is 9v at 0.85A, that's fairly easy to supply a clean stable power source from your boats 12v system, a simple LM7809 with a couple of capacitors would do it, parts cost a couple of quid at most and would be happy with input voltages anywhere between 11-28V if memory serves me right, probably pick up a ready to go packaged unit for less than a tenner.

I'm tempted myself with something like that mounted in my radome up on the arch as the radar is defunct and I took the guts out to make it lighter, would give me more reliable wifi  on the phone and tablet with the extra height.

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

as the radar is defunct and I took the guts out to make it lighter,

I remember years ago when I was based at Marchwood, on Southampton Water, there was a chandler's on the River Hamble where you could buy the fibreglass casing for a Decca 101 radar.  You could then have this mounted on the mast of your yacht, so that all other members of the yacht club would think you had radar fitted.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I have a blu Ray player that can link to the Internet. Its default value is hard wired. To change that to wireless,  it needs to be linked to the Internet. My mifi cannot be wired to the disc player so I need a mifi that has hard wire avaliable... if that makes sense 

So it is just a one-time connection you need, to switch it to WiFi ?

Could you not 'borrow' a connection from someone just to do the reconfiguration ?

Alternatively you could use this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WR802N-Portable-Wireless-Micro-USB-Port/dp/B00TQEX8BO?th=1

One of it's functions allows it to act as a "repeater" to an existing wireless network, and then onward connect to a networked device using an RJ45 hardwired connection

I've had one one for a while, that I used to take on holiday to boost the WiFi signal in hotel rooms, self catered flats etc. Now phone data and hotspots are much easier and cheaper I don't use it much.

3 hours ago, Smoggy said:

From the datasheet for the unit deebee29 linked to the power supply is 9v at 0.85A, that's fairly easy to supply a clean stable power source from your boats 12v system, a simple LM7809 with a couple of capacitors would do it, parts cost a couple of quid at most and would be happy with input voltages anywhere between 11-28V if memory serves me right, probably pick up a ready to go packaged unit for less than a tenner.

I'm tempted myself with something like that mounted in my radome up on the arch as the radar is defunct and I took the guts out to make it lighter, would give me more reliable wifi  on the phone and tablet with the extra height.

Whilst an LM7809 would work, they are not particularly efficient as they drop the voltage as heat.

You would be better to use a ready-made step-down "buck converter" like this:

Readymade version, fixed 12V in / 9V out - https://www.amazon.co.uk/JZK-power-converter-module-display/dp/B087CKCFSP

or otherwise one you can incorporate into a project build like this:

PCB version, up to 28V in / up to 20V out - https://www.amazon.co.uk/DollaTek-MP1584EN-Step-Down-Adjustable-Converter/dp/B07DJ5HZ7G/

9 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I have a blu Ray player that can link to the Internet. Its default value is hard wired. To change that to wireless,  it needs to be linked to the Internet. My mifi cannot be wired to the disc player so I need a mifi that has hard wire avaliable... if that makes sense 

6 hours ago, grendel said:

I have the Huawei  unit with the antenna sockets, did you know if you plug it into a laptop it supplies a connection without using WiFi  whilst also charging.

So could the mifi be plugged into the BluRay player via a USB connection and give it an internet connection? (assuming it has usb of course)

2 hours ago, WherryNice said:

So could the mifi be plugged into the BluRay player via a USB connection and give it an internet connection? (assuming it has usb of course)

That's what I don't know, I know it connects the laptop, but does the blueray player have the capability to network via usb?

12 minutes ago, grendel said:

That's what I don't know, I know it connects the laptop, but does the blueray player have the capability to network via usb?

The laptop operating system will "see" and detect the MiFi as a USB network device, and install a suitable driver from it's library.

A DVD/Bluray player is unlikely to have the same functionality and driver library. Having said that, it may effectively be a Linux computer, and may be able to detect and load a driver, but unlikely.

• 2 weeks later...

Well now, it's lunch time and I'm enjoying a lunch time libation. ( please note Griff, lunch time, not dinner time)  While letting the ice do its job to my pinkers I was wondering about another thread I've been posting on and found myself in a quandary. 

If Oftoss, the government body responsible for other government bodies acting sensibly,  fines the BA two million pounds for raising the tolls above the rate of inflation, where can the BA get that money from?

Just wondered!

• Like 1

Its like when the water or energy companies get fines - they get all their money from us, so the money to pay the fine comes from ... us

Or when government department get fined for stuff - non compliance, incompetence etc, we the taxpayers pay 

Or when they scr3w up and it costs £m's to correct stuff - it is us, the taxpayer, that pays

Of course it is - they don't have their own money, and heaven forbid the individuals that do the scr3wing up pay themselves or forfeit any bonuses.

Oh no, they just get promoted and paid even more of our money  

• Like 4

On the right track there, I was just thinking the same thing this morning when reading that Highways may have to remove the concrete which was poured under a bridge as a structural fix over a disused railway at Congham. Lose lose situation for the tax pot unless insurance will indemnify for the planning breach... in which case the premiums will probably go up in which case....

Nice bridge design though, one of six apparently, expect the concrete will be reused as a consolidation.

• Like 1

Well well, the pinkers has been stirring up the grey matter again.

OK so I purchase a fine piece of delicate high precision measuring equipment.  I then proceed to mount it on a bulkhead and start hitting it just to see if it's giving an accurate reading.

What piece of equipment? I hear you ask. A barometer, I reply. 

Oh well that's OK then. We all hit our barometers don't we.

Why do we tap barometers? Doing so actually tells us nothing.  I hear people say that doing so tells us if the atmospheric pressure is rising or falling.

Oh no it doesn't,  it merely tells us if the pressure is higher or lower than the last time we thrashed it to within an inch of its life.

Example.  Last time we came in and gave it a black eye it settled at 1000 mb. Now we strike it again and it reads 999 mb. Is the pressure falling? Not necessarily.  Had we smashed it an hour before,  it would have fallen to 998 mb but since then the pressure started rising. So why do we do it?

• 2 weeks later...

A fairly sensible post here from me for once.

Firstly I ask a favour from Griff. When you are on your "lads week out, would you be so kind as to look at the bridge clearance height on the symphony's and tell me what they say. I'm interested given that they are sister ships to Nyx.

Second, There is a product available in Tesco's called "Nature's finest Tropical fruits" that comes in a rather useful plastic pot. There are other fruits available in these pots and I get through quite a lot.

This has resulted in my now having more useful pots than I have uses for. Would anybody out there like some? I have about 20 going spare. See pic below.20231004_114216.thumb.jpg.431b0e3b7a8abfc8f3a5a9e1659bce00.jpg