How Busy Can It Get?

MauriceMynah

I agree Meantime. All that is different is their being moored so close. It seems to have reawoken my annoyance, however I can see no positive outcome from renewing the confrontation. I've done the washing up and cooled down a tad.

If only they knew that it was two particularly greasy plates that saved them from embarrassment.  That and your wise counsel 

Sorry Happy, not to be.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Sit down, carry out a quality control check on your libation department, and chill.

It was a year ago and they probably don't remember it anyway.

Failing that go and wee on their lines..... (while no one's looking)

You are naughty...and what if he was caught in the act??????

• Haha 1

Hi folks just to clarify the dirty mouths left to touch babies faces are the HUMAN ones not dogs or cats. Cats almost universally carry leptospirosis and deposit routinely in other peoples flower beds, which if contracted when pregnant, by planting bulbs for instance, may give rise to encephalic babies ( born sans functioning brain). The last reported case of toxoplasmosis from doggie poop from the available literature, was 1984, there are hundreds of leptospirosis cases every year. 

IMO all cats should poop in their own gardens or in a cat litter tray, not in my flower beds. 

Derailed again …lol 

35 minutes ago, Malanka said:

Hi folks just to clarify the dirty mouths left to touch babies faces are the HUMAN ones not dogs or cats. Cats almost universally carry leptospirosis and deposit routinely in other peoples flower beds, which if contracted when pregnant, by planting bulbs for instance, may give rise to encephalic babies ( born sans functioning brain). The last reported case of toxoplasmosis from doggie poop from the available literature, was 1984, there are hundreds of leptospirosis cases every year. 

IMO all cats should poop in their own gardens or in a cat litter tray, not in my flower beds. 

Derailed again …lol 

Firstly, I guessed you were talking of the human mouth.

More importantly, whether I was "born sans working brain" is debatable.  I have my own views but I could be wrong. 

Finally,  if all cats poo in your flowerbed, it must be enormous. 

Rats pee is the most common source of leptospirosis, when I worked on the local power station construction we all got given cards to hand to doctors about it as the weather turned and rats started sheltering in the cable ducts more as they all had water in the bottom.

My bad got carried away hitting send. It’s toxoplasmosis cats deposit in the flower beds. Funny I even had a conversation about that topic last week. 

Lots of surfers get lepto. 

There are human vaccines for lepto but they’re not fantastic. Recombinant Nucleic Acid vaccines are coming ( better ones). 

• Thanks 1

In fairness ZimbilV, the realistic options when handling ropes would be marigolds or wetwipes. In all the near 60 years of my boating I've never come across anyone using either. Nor have I heard of anyone catching anything nasty from their ropes. 

No, the problem is merely that the concept of handling peed on ropes is unpleasant, and dog owners should not permit their dogs to do it.

• Like 2

Right, new subject to scratch our various places over.

Yesterday I was informed that when you leave a mooring, you must go at least 450 yards away from it before you can moor again. I can't remember how many yards it was but not far off 1/4 of a mile. I was told that this was a bylaw.

Is this true?

This had me wondering... who makes the bylaws and to whom are they accountable if the bylaw is ridiculous or unenforceable. 

We have the situation at Sutton staithe where there are two moorings ( Sutton Staithe 1 and Sutton staithe 2 ) and my guess is that the far end of one is about that far from the far end of the other.

Anyway, I digress.  I wondered how I was to know about this bylaw, and what others there might be that I could fall foul of. 

I can imagine someone saying

" You can't moor there on a Thursday unless you strip naked, dance a jig and recite a poem by Keats "

( Don't worry folks,  I don't know any Keats )

It seems to me that anyone can say anything, and if they say it's a bylaw,  they are likely to get away with it. 

Finally, whose bylaw?  Are the bylaws the same in Coltishall as they are in Stokesby?  Parish Council,  Town Council  or County Council or of course, our magnificent BA. ?

This is byelaw 61 of the Broads Authority Navigation Byelaws 1995. A section or the whole of byelaw 61 is often quoted on the BA 24 hour mooring boards located at the mooring.

Incidentally as I have alluded to on more than one occasion recently, the 24hr mooring period does not exist per se within the BA byelaws. The byelaw refers you to the notice given at the mooring, so in theory the BA could introduce 2hr moorings, or even 48hr moorings. I could see for instance the moorings at Hoveton nearest the pub being useful as 24hr moorings are they are currently, but the viaduct moorings further along which are less used could be 48hr moorings. In the case of Sutton, why not make those by the green 4hr during the day to encourage people to move along and let other people make use of the water / electric, with the other mooring being 24hr? 

Use of Moorings for Specific Periods 61

(1) This Byelaw applies where, by a notice displayed at or near
any place, the Authority has prohibited mooring for more than
a limited period or has restricted the number of times a vessel
may use that place for mooring in a limited period.
(2) The master of a vessel shall not cause or permit the vessel
to be moored in a place in contravention of any prohibition or
restriction contained in a notice referred to in paragraph (1).
(3) A ‘place’ in this Byelaw includes, in relation to any
restriction on the number of times a vessel may be moored in a
place in a limited period, any other place within 500 metres
(550 yards) thereof which is also subject to a notice displayed
under the Byelaw.

Edited to add:

Ignorance of the navigation byelaws is no defense in exactly the same way that ignorance of the rules of the road is no defense in a court of law. I would suggest that a private boat owner has slightly less excuse than the average hirer when it comes to the rules of the river!

• Thanks 1

So, For example, if a hirer/ syndicate owner decides to have their last 24hrs at say Sutton staithe leaves and the next hirer/owner then goes to the same place for their first 24hrs the same day, the boat could be percived to have been there for over 48hrs, would that be breaking the bylaw rules?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, petersjoy said:

So, For example, if a hirer/ syndicate owner decides to have their last 24hrs at say Sutton staithe leaves and the next hirer/owner then goes to the same place for their first 24hrs the same day, the boat could be percived to have been there for over 48hrs, would that be breaking the bylaw rules?

There is a number of examples where that bylaw would be deemed ridiculous.  If a boat from the moorings on Percy's Island moored at Horning staithe it would be in contravention of that rule to return to its home mooring. Any Richardson's hire craft could not spend its last night at Stalham staithe etc.etc.

This is why I asked one of the questions. 

I know this makes me sound like a nit-picker but if one is making a bylaw, surely such anomalies should be taken into account.

If "ignorance is no defence " is to be put forwards, surely "the bylaw is not workable" should equally hold water.