How Busy Can It Get?

MauriceMynah

24 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I have noticed over recent years that it is no longer sufficient to say that a record has been broken. Now it seems that any new record is an "all time record", sometimes a "new all time record"

Does it not occur to those calling it thus, that they sound really stupid?

Much the same as when folk say ‘it’s 6AM in the morning.’  For some reason I thought the suffix of AM or PM defined whether it was before or after noon.

• Like 1

I have a tech problem, and be gentle with me, I don’t understand the question I'm going to ask let alone the answer I'm likely to get.

I have a "mifi" box. It is about 1/2 inch thick, 4" long and 2" wide. One central button and three lights. It has a "Three" sim card in it. It has sufficed for some years now. 

I need a mifi box that can hard wire things into it (Blu Ray player) and I would like an external aerial to improve reception. 

Any ideas please.

It sounds like you currently have a rechargeable portable MiFi device, probably made by the likes of Huawei (I have a similar one I take on holiday with me)

What you want is a "fixed" mains powered 4G or 5G home router (ie it has a mobile network data SIM card) such as this:

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/strong-1200-uk-wifi-4g-router-ac-1200-dualband-10249229.html

This is just an example, I have no idea how good it is, and am not specifically recommending it or Currys either, just giving you the idea of what you are looking for

Most small electronic units these days come with a transformer built into the plug and output low dc volts so if you get to look at one check the mains adaptors out put volts and amps (usually on the adaptor itself) if you find one with a 5v output it makes it easy to run it off a usb socket, just have to make your own lead up, if 12v be wary of running direct from the boats system as voltage can vary quite a lot when charging and surge as things like water pumps kick in which may damage the unit, dc to dc converters are cheap to use inline.

5 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I need a mifi box that can hard wire things into it (Blu Ray player) and I would like an external aerial to improve reception. 

What exactly are you trying to achieve and why, if you don't mind me asking. Reason being, there are other potential solutions  

6 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

In case you(or anyone reading this) weren't aware some of the Huawei MiFi units have sockets to connect an external antenna to them, under a little cover next to the charge socket(see pic). 

20230910_184041.jpg

• Like 1