How Busy Can It Get?

MauriceMynah

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Also tomorrow or at least soon, I shall cycle round Richardson's yard a few times to get my confidence and balance back. 

Just stay away from the edge if you’re going to be toppling over. You’ll have to cycle round and round the reception building, that’s far enough away from the water!

Good on you for giving it a go, hats off to your new venture. The ‘jelly’ feeling and legs not working is lack of oxygen in the muscles. You could always wear an oxygen mask, or just cycle along with your mouth open, breathing deeply and being sure not to swallow any flies. 

You’ll be surprised just how quickly your fitness improves with regular outings. And yes, helmet is a good idea. 

I must admit that I hate cycling.  It’s so uncomfortable. But an electric bike might tempt even me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm a fairly serious cyclist, but mostly off road cross-country riding, rather than a MAMIL roadie.

Two things I've learnt:

1. Buy a pair of decent cycling undershorts if riding any distance
  2. Allow a decent rest period between rides

You're likely to gain fitness far more quickly in the first instance doing a decent length ride, then allowing 5-7 days for recovery rather than trying to ride constantly. Your muscles need time to recover and rebuild.

• Thanks 1

Take care MM last summer Old Parge did a bike up for someone so I had to have a go,only did 1 mile round trip and couldn't believe how stiff my legs were after riding up a big hill. Only just made it home. 

It will be great exercise when you build up I am thinking of trying to get one but I'm still at the good idea stage. A step through for me would be best as I've not had me leg over for a while. 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

I think we all need to keep our gobs shut, for fear of being banned :default_icon_redface:

Oh yes! :default_biggrin:

Be careful with any cheap leccy conversion stuff MM as a lot of folk have been engulfed in fireballs, I know nowt about swytch so may be fine, the stuff off ebay and the like is best avoided or charged well away from the boat.

Now MM I see where you made your mistake, I use an electric bike so pedal gently while the motor does the hard work, this means I get fit slowly, and gradually as I progress start lowering the pedal assist level (generally I cycle out on assist level 4 and back on assist level 3, meaning I warm up on the easier level then have the harder work as I am heading the right direction - home.

I have heard of swytch, they seem fairly reputable and can cater for the size of a replacement wheel to match what is on your bike (they have even fitted one in a penny farthing (though I doubt your bike is that old.)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well well well. It's just gone 18:00 and there's still a little light in the sky.  I've heard my first boom of a bittern for this year, yes even at Richardson's  Stalham they may be heard, this for me is the first real sign of spring. The second sign is a sudden and overwhelming desire to clean my boat.

Please let me make it perfectly clear,  the desire for me to clean my boat, and my actually doing so are two very different things, one being a sign of spring, the other being a modern miracle. 

I notice a new schoolboy member has joined us. Well Charlie, if you ever consider a waterside employment and you fancy boat-cleaning as a starter, please do let me know, though you may think climbing up chimneys could be preferable. 

However, I digress. Spring is on its way, and I find my mind wandering, as most gentleman's minds do, towards engine maintenance and boat cleaning. You never know, one spring I might actually do it. 

• Like 10
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

The second sign is a sudden and overwhelming desire to clean my boat

When you took your bike-related tumble, did you bang your head? Can't imagine what else could explain these weird thoughts you're experiencing. Be careful out there. No, not you MM, everyone else whilst you're pedalling about. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Regulo said:

When you took your bike-related tumble, did you bang your head?

When my other half did that I knew it was a serious whack when waiting for an ambulance she kept saying she loved me (after regaining consciousness), clearly delusional.....

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

No update on the cycling malarkey bike is still in the car.

Well, Spring has sprung.  Cruised from Stalham to Sutton with the canopy slid back. Now I'm sat in the staithe, tank full of water, tank full of diesel and third tank pumped out.

Here I sit drinking ... SHANDY... albeit ginger beer shandy and working out this last winter's fuel bill. Grand total including gas,  leccy and diesel has worked out at £375 for November to March inclusive. 

£100 more than last years but I can live with that! 

Now, where did I stow that boat cleaning stuff.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

No update on the cycling malarkey bike is still in the car.

Well, Spring has sprung.  Cruised from Stalham to Sutton with the canopy slid back. Now I'm sat in the staithe, tank full of water, tank full of diesel and third tank pumped out.

Here I sit drinking ... SHANDY... albeit ginger beer shandy and working out this last winter's fuel bill. Grand total including gas,  leccy and diesel has worked out at £375 for November to March inclusive. 

£100 more than last years but I can live with that! 

Now, where did I stow that boat cleaning stuff.

I have been running a dehumidifier and a small oil storage heater over the winter  And my bill from December to March was £300 ish so I got off lightly. 

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Here I sit drinking ... SHANDY... albeit ginger beer shandy

Presuming you mean beer and ginger beer, totally yum!

If lemonade has been anywhere near it, then rather you than me. 

• Like 1

It has to be the right sort of lemonade, Hooch or Two Dogs. Otherwise I’d push the boat out and blend with Crabbies ginger beer perhaps?

Whatever your tipple today felt like the start of things to come, must have been lovely out on the river.

Enjoy!

Putting on my finest Victor Meldrew voice , I find myself shouting at my television set, screaming "I don't believe it".

According to Anglia news, we are heading for a water shortage.

Why on earth hasn't the BA, done something to stop all that rain water rushing out to sea.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

14 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Putting on my finest Victor Meldrew voice , I find myself shouting at my television set, screaming "I don't believe it".

According to Anglia news, we are heading for a water shortage.

Why on earth hasn't the BA, done something to stop all that rain water rushing out to sea.

On this point they have done loads to achieve your wish, ensuring that as much water as possible has stayed in the system and not gone out to sea.

Why have YOU been so remiss as to not gather it all up, when it was so conveniently kept and stored on land for you to do so.