Electricity Cards

Ray

27 minutes ago, andyg said:

I am bringing a few up next week I had left over, I was wondering if they had a shelf life..

The cards tend to last as long as the metering technology does. Previously the cards were paper that you inserted into the meter, then they changed all the meters a few years back and the plastic cards have been used ever since. As long as these meters continued to be used the cards should work, but as it is only putting a £1 credit on the meter, as the unit prices get changed it will not last as long. Previously when they changed the meter technology they took the old cards back and exchanged them for the new ones.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Taken from the BA website, although I'm sure I saw somewhere that it was being reviewed sooner than May 2023. At 4.4 units to the £1 that is very cheap. With the October price cap increase you won't even get 2 units to the £1 at home.

"The electricity units in each £1 card for the period April 2022 to March 2023 is currently 4.4. This figure is reviewed each year (next review approx. May 2023) and reflects the current rate from our electrical supplier."

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Meantime said:

I'm sure I saw somewhere that it was being reviewed sooner than May 2023. At 4.4 units to the £1 that is very cheap. With the October price cap increase you won't even get 2 units to the £1

The price cap only applies to domestic customers. Commercial customers which include the BA, pubs, shops etc are subject to the open market which are generally much higher than the price cap. However, like domestic customers the new prices only kick in when your current contract ends. It all depends how many years the BA fixed its contract for. Your suggestion that the prices may be reviewed before May 2023 suggests their contract may expire before then. My guess is that they will have to make a standard card £5 otherwise you won't get enough units on the post to make it useful. I was going to say it will lead to more engine running on moorings to charge batteries, but I'm not sure burning diesel would be any cheaper...

1 hour ago, RS2021 said:

The price cap only applies to domestic customers. Commercial customers which include the BA, pubs, shops etc are subject to the open market which are generally much higher than the price cap. However, like domestic customers the new prices only kick in when your current contract ends. It all depends how many years the BA fixed its contract for. Your suggestion that the prices may be reviewed before May 2023 suggests their contract may expire before then. My guess is that they will have to make a standard card £5 otherwise you won't get enough units on the post to make it useful. I was going to say it will lead to more engine running on moorings to charge batteries, but I'm not sure burning diesel would be any cheaper...

The price of diesel has dropped slightly in the last couple of weeks but any yard selling will have to hold off passing on any reduction if they refilled their tank before the  price dropped or take a loss.