Roadworks 2023

SwanR

Well it didn't take long to start this one off. There are apparently temporary lights down by the little roundabout where Roys garage sits. According to the One Network site it is Cadent who have a permit and it could last from today until 08/02. Traffic looked heavy in the area according to Facebook reports and Google maps.

• Thanks 1

Took me about 15 minutes from the layby outside Wroxham to get past the lights at 18:15 this evening.  Traffic from the Hoveton direction was very light.

Someone was also setting up lights as you enter Hoveton from the other side so could be more issues tomorrow.  Luckily I'm working from home!

• Thanks 1

I wonder if that is the pavement works along Stalham Road before you get to St Peter's church. There's a section outside the houses there where the tarmac looks in very poor condition and I know that's due to be done around now.

When these pavement works in Hoveton have been completed perhaps the local residents should be told that they are allowed to drive over the pavement to access their driveways, but not along it to access the road or to park on it. That should save council tax payers a lot of money in the future.

• Like 1

I read the other day that parking on footpaths is to become a no no in the Highway Code.

Personally I always thought it was a no no but where I live there is someone who thinks that the footpath is their private car park !!! and it's on the corner of a junction !!!!

Would love to see the reaction if a bobby came along and did their job properly.

Jeff

• Like 2

Unless you live in London, there is currently no explicit law that bans it, and different civil and criminal laws cover pavement parking in different parts of the country.

Depending on the width of the pavement, it can be considered rather antisocial behaviour. It can cause inconvenience or even danger to pedestrians, especially parents with pushchairs, the blind or wheelchair users, sometimes forcing them to move into the road to get past. The Police can charge you with ‘unnecessary obstruction of the highway’ because this offence covers all parts of the street.

If you park in Greater London, then there is a specific rule in the Highway Code that states “You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London”. Any Highway Code rule that uses the terms MUST or MUST NOT is a law, rather than guidance. The exception is where a traffic regulation order (TRO) has been established, which can set rules about parking times and restrictions, with clearly painted bays that straddle the road and pavement.

• Like 1

HOW did they manage to get approval to have lights both ends of Hoveton / Wroxham and close the turn off to cut past the Hall for the Colt road at the same time  .......... Coming from Stalham you have to get held by at least one set of lights or take a huge diversion. Took daughter 25 mins added top her commute yesterday to get to work

11 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

Depending on the width of the pavement, it can be considered rather antisocial behaviour. It can cause inconvenience or even danger to pedestrians, especially parents with pushchairs, the blind or wheelchair users, sometimes forcing them to move into the road to get past. The Police can charge you with ‘unnecessary obstruction of the highway’ because this offence covers all parts of the street.

Absolutely. But where I live parking on the pavement actually helps the community: our houses were built around 1972 when oil was supposed to be running out and all families were going to have just a mini. Parking on the pavement means we can have visitors. It's a bit of a grey area which relies on consideration of others.

• Like 1

what I hate is when you get a road closed sign at xyz, now great if you know where that is, but if you dont and want a point halfway along the road, how do you know which end to choose, typical example the road from Canterbury to Herne bay is about 6 miles long signs at each end road closed at xyz hill, my daughter lives off the road about 4 miles from the canterbury end, so I have to drive the road to find the closure 3 miles from canterbury, then turn round and follow the 12 mile diversion route to get to the other end, now an additional 6 miles isnt really an issue for car drivers, but what about cyclists, thats a lot of extra miles under pedal power. (and half of the diversion was dual carriageway)

4 hours ago, grendel said:

what I hate is when you get a road closed sign at xyz, now great if you know where that is, but if you dont and want a point halfway along the road, how do you know which end to choose, typical example the road from Canterbury to Herne bay is about 6 miles long signs at each end road closed at xyz hill, my daughter lives off the road about 4 miles from the canterbury end, so I have to drive the road to find the closure 3 miles from canterbury, then turn round and follow the 12 mile diversion route to get to the other end, now an additional 6 miles isnt really an issue for car drivers, but what about cyclists, thats a lot of extra miles under pedal power. (and half of the diversion was dual carriageway)

When I came across this problem as a service engineer I would call the customer for advice.

I've been mulling over the Hoveton pavement improvements whilst stuck in the lights. All of the pavements in Hoveton have a small grass verge between road and path. This area should too, as the bits that have a phone pole and road sign on still do. The rest have been destroyed by people using it as a road.

Now MY council tax is being used to provide a free upgrade to the frontage of these properties, for self inflicted damage....

Could have re-turfed it and shoved a few bollards in far quicker and cheaper....

As there are two diversions in place for the Hoveton works, depending on where you are going, whoever is responsible for putting out the signs must be hoping people know where they want to end up. Ok for locals but not for strangers to the area, could cause some interesting problems at the mini roundabouts.

• Like 1

I was so incredulous that I actually crossed the road to take the photo. If I was trying to follow a diversion with no clue as to which way to go it would be pot luck. I was amazed the signs had been put out like that. 

I think there’s a closure of Norwich Road for one day on 23rd Jan on the Wroxham side of the bridge. The official diversion route I have seen is the NDR, the A47 to Acle area and then up and around. I’m so glad that most of the time I don’t need to be out travelling. 

35 minutes ago, SwanR said:

How about this for confusion. Spotted it on a walk yesterday. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ef571d38296aed1627ebd73e49f08290.jpeg

There was something similar in Watton a few weeks before Christmas.  The A1075 was completely closed in Shipdham from Monday to Friday.  The signed diversion was on the B1108, then onto the A1065 to Swaffham.  However there was a local diversion in place at the same time due to gas pipe works on the Saham Road, which was closed and a diversion on the Swaffham Road into Saham Toney.  It resulted in much confusion, due to the proliferation of contradictory temporary signage that had been thoughtlessly erected.

Ridiculous! 😡

• Like 1

currently there are roadworks between my hous and my daughters, she lives 8 miles from me, but the diversion takes me 20 miles to get  to her, considering that is a main A road that is a busy route, thats a lot of cars doing a lot of extra miles, and they have just extended the road closure from 8 days to 12

• Like 1

Dont talk to us about Cadent,   they moved in up here with us and stayed for about a month and a half.   At one time the road in front of us looked like the 100 meter hurdles.       We are still waiting for our drive to be put back as it was.   The Cadent gas guys are marvellous and very efficient it is all of the contractors that come along afterwards to fill in all of the holes that have been dug.   It takes a long time but it is for our safety.

Gas men 2.jpg

• Like 1