Hire Fleet Changes 2023

Broads01

7 hours ago, bucket said:

On Blue Mist we slide the curtains forward and tuck them into a strap/loop (one on each side) before opening the roof. It prevents them from getting trapped between the roof and the canopy and keeps them dry if the roof is wet.

How is Blue Mist doing these days? I think we were all a bit horrified when she did the submarine impression during lockdown, presumably the insurance allowed for some work to the front cabin?

Hello Oldgregg

I only joined the syndicate last February but I am aware that the insurance covered the cost of the repairs.

And thanks for asking, she is absolutely lovely, to look at and to drive. I think the 38 Pearl is such an elegant looking boat. I am very proud of her.

She has been updated over the last few years, new engine, bow thruster, shore power, electric loos and upholstry....very comfortable.

The first of our 5 weeks this year starts April 6th so we are onboard over easter, staying on the northern rivers. Feel free to pop round and have a look if you are there when I am!?

20220702_114733.jpg

• Like 6

I do love a Pearl 38, they are indeed a very elegant boat and Fineway were cracking boatbuilders.

It would be fair to say I'm a bit wary of syndicates (been there, done that) though Blue Mist has always looked a bit more 'loved' and the fact she's not used over the winter is a plus point too.

They didn't do one, bizzarely. Never really understood why.

When the AF42 got updated into the MK2 (Brinks Symphony etc), they stopped producing the 38ft version as presumably the Pearl replaced it. So you had the choice of a Pearl 38 or an 'updated' 42.

There was a 35ft version of the Pearl, but never a longer one. Not sure why really as I think it would have sold well.

5 hours ago, bucket said:

Hello Oldgregg

I only joined the syndicate last February but I am aware that the insurance covered the cost of the repairs.

And thanks for asking, she is absolutely lovely, to look at and to drive. I think the 38 Pearl is such an elegant looking boat. I am very proud of her.

She has been updated over the last few years, new engine, bow thruster, shore power, electric loos and upholstry....very comfortable.

The first of our 5 weeks this year starts April 6th so we are onboard over easter, staying on the northern rivers. Feel free to pop round and have a look if you are there when I am!?

20220702_114733.jpg

We cross over a bit with our week on Thunder so if I see you I will come say hello 😃

I reckon 8 (sensible) owners is the perfect number 😃

• Like 1

Well I look forward to saying hello.

Oldgregg's view is perfectly valid, our opinions are influenced by our experience......and syndicate ownership wouldn't suit everyone, but it does suit me.

Mindful though that this thread is meant to be about new hire boats.........so I will shut up for now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not so much a hire fleet change but a hire base change, Richardsons are opening a cafe. It's to be called "Marina Cafe" so not the most original name in the world but a welcome return of cafe facilities. I remember the old one which was about where the booking office now is but I don't know the exact location of the new one.

https://www.facebook.com/77077608012/posts/pfbid02wgM7ZepsGTdQe9KGGnYJ2Hcboo92aNUb9Yu3S6NtPiro28ikdCxJic6tTEHvfQrvl/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I did float the idea of having a small bar there in the past seeing as how there was frequently quite a lot of hire boats overnighting at Richardson's due to the lack of available moorings in this part of the system. 

What prompted me was it was a beautiful sunny day and many were just chilling on their boats. 

Just a few chairs and tables plus a fridge and some sun shades would do it. And if there is a cafe in place already there is somewhere to go if the weather turns inclement.

Management were not adverse to this idea.

• Like 4

On 23/02/2023 at 05:39, MauriceMynah said:

Once again I tried using Facebook but once again I was unable to do what I wanted.

Does anyone have any more information about the "Richardson's cafe" ?

It does look like it is in the room next to reception which if I remember correctly is were it used to be.

• Like 1

This will be the first year in a while that we haven’t hired in March, other than Covid cancellations. And whilst we’re quite picky about which boat we take we’re going to hold off booking for later in the year until much nearer the time. There do seem to be last minute discounts where you would not have found them some years ago. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

This will be the first year in a while that we haven’t hired in March, other than Covid cancellations. And whilst we’re quite picky about which boat we take we’re going to hold off booking for later in the year until much nearer the time. There do seem to be last minute discounts where you would not have found them some years ago. 

And there you have what is a self fulfilling prophecy,  discounts because of low booking levels followed by low booking levels because of people waiting for late discounts, a very slippery slope introduced by a couple of businesses affecting the industry as a whole.

Fred

• Like 1

Agreed. Many years ago we booked holidays well ahead to get the accommodation and dates that we wanted. Families potentially still have to do that. But now that there’s usually just the two of us and only myself still working, we can be much more flexible. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It looks like both Pacific Breeze and Pacific Imperial are on their last season of hire. Both have no online availability for 2024. The traditional aft cockpit cruiser is becoming an endangered species.

Brinks Prelude 3 has been launched. 

• Like 1