The Lion At Somerton.

Chelsea14Ian

It's a worry isn't it. We seem to be losing our good old British Pub and their heritage at an alarming rate only to be turned into some sort of residence or other

They are not just a place to drink but are very much part of our cities, towns and villages. It's such a shame x

• Like 3

I am sorry - we only have ourselves to blame!

Who amongst you lot go down the pub for a drink on a regular basis - I would suggest most of you are happy to buy cans or bottles in supermarkets and quaff it in front of Netflix!

Although some of you eat in pubs, I guess not often. Same old same old - use it or lose it!!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, marshman said:

Who amongst you lot go down the pub for a drink on a regular basis

When I'm on the boat every lunchtime and every evening you'll find us in a pub somewhere. Apart from the vary occasional BBQ all evening meals are also in the pub.

However The Lion at Somerton is one place I don't get to very often, mainly because of that bloody bridge that your quite keen to see remain as it is because it keeps the hordes away from the Upper Thurne. I guess you cannot have it both ways!!!

The last time I got to The Lion was over the New Year's holiday about four years ago when we were staying in the National Trust barns next to The Nelsons Head at Horsey.

• Like 3

:default_badday:  My son and his partner run our local village pub (nearly five years now) and when covid struck all their

workforce were put on furlow.  However, when it was time to re-open the pub the manager refused to come back to work and has not worked anywhere since and he was at least 15 years before retirement age!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Meantime said:

When I'm on the boat every lunchtime and every evening you'll find us in a pub somewhere. Apart from the vary occasional BBQ all evening meals are also in the pub.

However The Lion at Somerton is one place I don't get to very often, mainly because of that bloody bridge that your quite keen to see remain as it is because it keeps the hordes away from the Upper Thurne. I guess you cannot have it both ways!!!

The last time I got to The Lion was over the New Year's holiday about four years ago when we were staying in the National Trust barns next to The Nelsons Head at Horsey.

Well said MT.

Last time I was in the Lion was 2007 . The last time I got under that blooming bridge 

• Like 1

When on the Broads we will use a pub every day for drinks, food, breakfast etc. At home I go on a regular basis too (not every day) a night out with the girls, lunch with Mum and taking my Dad to watch a footie match and a couple of pints. I like to think I do my bit but not quite enough I imagine

With the cost of everything rising it's cheaper to have a glass or two at home watching the footie but we do try to visit the pubs in our local area as much as we can.

I've been visiting pubs with my parents since I was little and love the atmosphere, open fires and friendliness that comes with most of them.

I do hope things will get better eventually and some of our Inns and pubs will survive

:default_beerchug: x

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Meantime said:

When I'm on the boat every lunchtime and every evening you'll find us in a pub somewhere.

We are the same, and at home friday/saturday/sunday are pub days, we have some cans in the house but they are out of date as we just don't drink at home (except rum after the pub).

We are doing our bit to keep them going, as for anything above that bridge-no chance.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

We are the same, and at home friday/saturday/sunday are pub days,

If I'm not in Norfolk then pretty much every evening I meet my brother in our local for a couple of Guinness's a tradition that has now gone on for far longer than I care to remember.

The other pub that concerns me up that way is The Nelsons Head. This New Year there was four of us staying in Oulton Broad, but we took a run out one day to see the seals at Horsey and off course it would have been rude not to pop in for a few. Sadly that day I was driving, so was Des, designated driver, but the others made up for my shortfall. :default_drinks:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FlyingFortress said:

Well said MT.

Last time I was in the Lion was 2007 . The last time I got under that blooming bridge

In fact I'd go as far as to say whenever you see my boat, if I'm not around you generally manage to find us :default_laugh: Can't think how!! :default_rofl:

My boat libations are most certainly in ADDITION to those I have in pubs as many can testify. 

I have long felt that the main problem facing pubs is that the owners are all chasing the same people. This has been the case for many years.

These days it seems, a pub has to serve "craft" beers with citrus after tastes, be painted grey and white, have tall tables and serve gastro gunk.

Fine, but they are all doing the same. It would be nice if some of the landlords thought for themselves.

I have been told that a pub can't survive on wet sales alone. WRONG. A few can, and do

No pub now serves the old "A half roasted chicken" and many of the other old "pub grub" dishes have disappeared. 

When landlords wake up and start tapping into the other customer bases available, then they will start making a living again.

There is a pub I am aware of that is changing from a more traditional business to a more modern "up market" version.  He has told me that he knows his regulars will go ape, but he must move with the times. Really? And we wonder why pubs are closing!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

The folks running The Lion, Somerton have made heroic efforts. They are lovely people who took it over just before covid, they delivered takeaways during the lockdowns to keep afloat and I've rarely seen a couple work so hard and so well together... it really is a great shame to see them call it a day. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Meantime - You just answered for me!

When afloat I / We use the pubs a LOT, especially during the Lads week, there would probably be a munity of sorts if my Navplan missed out a daily opportunity for a DTS or an evening with a pub close by somewhere

Here at home I use my Local (Harvey Arms - Finningley village) every Sunday evening (Unless I'm away from home)  Don't use them midweek as currently not retired so I'm normally driving before 0730 every morning

I like Pubs, especially the more traditional ones and they need to be dog friendly.  I don't like the chrome and glass hooray Henry, cordon bluer (Should be cordoned off imho) establishments similar to the Woods End? at Brammerton - I used to use it when it was a proper pub with a bar but no more

Griff

• Like 2

Bring back the "proper pubs" that do straight forward drinks like mild and bitter and also "proper" pub grub like chicken in the basket.

The problem is that they would not be able to charge extortionate prices for good honest food and drinks.

A pint of mild never did appeal with an umbrella stuck in the top of it!!!!!!!

Jeff

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ray said:

But actually, yes there is clearly demand for good basic pubs

I’d second that. Too many are just mini restaurants now. Seems very odd having to ‘book a table’ when you want to go to the pub. 
And I do really wish mild was still more available. A nice pint of mixed used to be one of my favourites. 

• Like 1

Hi kpnut,

I can remember going in a club/pub in Cottingham and really enjoying the mild.

It wasn't until I had been going in for about six weeks that I found out why the mild was so tasty.

The landlord had a habit of adding the odd gallon of Guinness to the mild tank (before the days of all beers being in kegs)

Happy days

Jeff

• Love 1

2 hours ago, jeffbroadslover said:

The landlord had a habit of adding the odd gallon of Guinness to the mild tank (before the days of all beers being in kegs)

Happy days

Jeff

The ' beer back funnel' used to be often seen hanging on the cellar wall, the ones I've seen always had a very narrow spout so as not to disturb the bottom of the barrel. All the slops would go into the mild barrel at closing and be settled by opening time the next day. 

• Like 1