Ranworth Update

CambridgeCabby

Interesting that the BA have called in the police over some low tack stickers on public signs.

When I had a false penalty notice stuck on a perspex side window, that took hours to remove and caused permanent damage, the most I got from BA was a half hearted sorry, we will speak to the ranger.

It is a good job I am not as sensitive as their CEO.

Karma is a wonderful thing and I have zero sympathy.

• Like 14

54 minutes ago, marshman said:

Are the Thames and the Gt Ouse just as expensive? Or more so?

Google says: 

Thames: £23.67 per m2 for 2023 (Note that had a 4% rise this year) Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/river-thames-boat-registration-charges/river-thames-boat-registration-and-other-charges-1-january-2023-to-31-december-2023

Broads: £17.02 per m2 for 2023.

Is a bit like apple and pears though (The Thames has locks and lock keepers for instance and I suspect the Thames has more free moorings to maintain).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

Looking at this post I wonder if Broads Authority has got Lawyers dealing with this problem at the Toll Payers' expense? Ifso they  should. Pay it them selfs

From where and what money?

National Park Grant, DEFRA handout or from The Navigation budget? Personally as this is a Navigation Issue I think it should come from The Navigation Budget. And it will 😫

Until this issue is resolved (sacked, or made to retire, choose any option) it will cost us Toll Payers.

The question is , Is it worth it ?

My opinion

Yes 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FlyingFortress said:

From where and what money?

National Park Grant, DEFRA handout or from The Navigation budget? Personally as this is a Navigation Issue I think it should come from The Navigation Budget. And it will 😫

Until this issue is resolved (sacked, or made to retire, choose any option) it will cost us Toll Payers.

The question is , Is it worth it ?

My opinion

Yes 

As long as we don't end up with someone even worse.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ExSurveyor said:

Interesting that the BA have called in the police over some low tack stickers on public signs.

Yes it is, and to me this indicates he is rattled. Would have been better for him to keep quiet. By doing this he's made it more newsworthy and drawn attention to the fact that someone is having a go at him.

Of course it could also be something to do with the "Pinnie Brigade" as we used to refer to them; secret handshakes, daggers at the breast and all that. Although after his last do with the police he may well have overstayed his welcome at the lodge too. Let's hope so.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

The Thames has always been far more expensive for many reasons including all the surrounding areas and facilities, it has also lost most of its hire yards over the years.

Fred

But can you see The Broads going the same way ?

The price of riverside property through the roof so more and more nice riverside flats?

Just like Norwich?

3 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

When I had a false penalty notice stuck on a perspex side window, that took hours to remove and caused permanent damage, the most I got from BA was a half hearted sorry, we will speak to the ranger.

It is a good job I am not as sensitive as their CEO.

Karma is a wonderful thing and I have zero sympathy.

Ridiculous the police are wasting time on this. There must be 100s of more serious crimes that get zero investigation. People putting stickers on boards indeed. This BA chairman must be a very thin skinned individual. 

11 hours ago, marshman said:

Are the Thames and the Gt Ouse just as expensive? Or more so?

I haven't been on the Thames for 3 years, although I ran a hire fleet there in the late 80s.  Strangely, there are not many public moorings, although it has a tow path.  This is partly because of the loss of almost all the boatyards (where have we heard that before) and the best place to moor is usually at the locks, where there is usually a quay further back from the waiting area, where you can stop overnight.  Pubs, such as the Swan at Pangbourne, also have moorings which are free, if you are customers of the pub.  It is run by the EA who, I must say, do it rather well.  You will often find self service pumpout machines at a lock as well.  I wonder when the BA will wake up to the fact that this is a service they should also be providing on the Broads, instead of casually relying on what is left of the boatyards, to do it for them?

I think the main point here is that the Broads is a cruising area which is totally different from anywhere in my experience. That means all of Western Europe and the Eastern United States. Don't forget you can't sail on the Thames, or the canals. There are no locks on the navigation and the tidal conditions are very easy for the novice - especially compared to the Thames!

It is a very precious, although man-made, asset which must not be allowed to become just a cash cow for a Quango.

• Like 19

9 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

But can you see The Broads going the same way ?

The price of riverside property through the roof so more and more nice riverside flats?

Just like Norwich?

In all reality you cannot compare the two, my experience of the Thames was as a hirer alongside the Broads in the 80s and 90s when even back then the Thames was quite a bit dearer possibly around 10-15% but that`s just from memory, but then operating costs were higher with land values etc.

Apart from the locks there were plenty of town moorings till councils like Reading started closing them, there were also rural moorings till foot and mouth closed them, this seemed to start the decline along with the onset of the cheap Costa package holidays, not sure if Clive`s memory`s stretch back to when Richardson`s bought Maid Boats but he maybe able to shed more light on that.

There are far to many differences between the Thames and Broads to compare the two, with hiring being restricted to the non tidal Thames and very few day boats and no sailing and all the locks manned it was relatively  simple for a novice to navigate, the one down side was in flood or adverse conditions the whole system could be Red flagged effectively shutting everything down.

I don`t know what riverside development has happened above London since then but virtually all the riverside property's in those days were the playground of the rich and celebrity`s.  

It is quite likely others may be able to show that it is just as impractical to compare the Broads with other rivers or canals, the Broads are unique and as such so is the understanding of and skills required to manage them hence the Broads Act and all that it should entail, they are much more than a river system but totally different to a National Park.

Fred 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rightsaidfred said:

In all reality you cannot compare the two, my experience of the Thames was as a hirer alongside the Broads in the 80s and 90s when even back then the Thames was quite a bit dearer possibly around 10-15% but that`s just from memory, but then operating costs were higher with land values etc.

Apart from the locks there were plenty of town moorings till councils like Reading started closing them, there were also rural moorings till foot and mouth closed them, this seemed to start the decline along with the onset of the cheap Costa package holidays, not sure if Clive`s memory`s stretch back to when Richardson`s bought Maid Boats but he maybe able to shed more light on that.

There are far to many differences between the Thames and Broads to compare the two, with hiring being restricted to the non tidal Thames and very few day boats and no sailing and all the locks manned it was relatively  simple for a novice to navigate, the one down side was in flood or adverse conditions the whole system could be Red flagged effectively shutting everything down.

I don`t know what riverside development has happened above London since then but virtually all the riverside property's in those days were the playground of the rich and celebrity`s.  

It is quite likely others may be able to show that it is just as impractical to compare the Broads with other rivers or canals, the Broads are unique and as such so is the understanding of and skills required to manage them hence the Broads Act and all that it should entail, they are much more than a river system but totally different to a National Park.

Fred 

I didn't think so but could not justify my comments with any experience of the area as never been boating anywhere but The Broads.

Thankfully we have others like yourself and Vaughan who do have this experience and can comment.👍

• Like 2

On 11/04/2023 at 22:32, hungryhippo said:

Ridiculous the police are wasting time on this

If the police do actually put time and resources into putting stickers on a sign, then I suggest Norfolk Constabulary hasn't enough work to do or have far too many staff for their current workload because no other police force, I know would even entertain such a report.

My guess is it's just more scaremongering 

• Like 5