Alarm Going To Go Off On Sunday

Hylander

22 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Helen are both phones on 4G or 5G? I don't think 3G phones would have received it.

Graham’s one is a newer Motorola model than mine…it’s a mystery. I persuaded him to get a Motorola as I’d been so impressed with the features mine had for a very reasonable price. 

Think it also depends on the phone providers.  My dad’s old Iphone wasnt new enough so didnt go off.  Mine and Graham’s did (vodaphone), my son inlaw is on EE worked, mum on O2 worked fine. My son who is on Three didnt go off at all and his phone is a fairly new iPhone. We were all in the same room, alerts going off at different times. EE went off first but mine took so long I thought it wasn’t going to work. 

So basically, what appears to be the case, is that it does seem to work as well as the Track and Trace app developed during the pandemic.  Probably put together by the same people at an exorbitant price, too.

Why am I not surprised?

Me, cynical?  Whatever gave you that impression??

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Watch it Malcolm, you do not want to be know as the ‘Mr Cynical’ of NBN, there’s plenty of us vying for that position (even Ms Cynicals).

It was a test,tests are to see if it works,  as long as they get the feedback it's a success. 

When I get home from the pub I'll check the old phone I left on with a defunct sim as it should be done on the same system as you can call 999 without a sim.

At 1515hrs I realised mine had not gone off, it is a Samsung S20. I opened it to see if there was a message and swiped down from top. The message then appeared and the warning sounded. I don't know if I have blocked it in some way.

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

So basically, what appears to be the case, is that it does seem to work as well as the Track and Trace app developed during the pandemic.  Probably put together by the same people at an exorbitant price, too.

Why am I not surprised?

But, you have to realise it is totally different to the Track and Trace app. The emergency alert system is a feature that has been built into the OS by Apple and Android over a number of years. It is available in any country that wishes to take advantage of the technology. It relies on you having a good signal with a 4G or 5G phone mast. It relies on a number of phone network providers and their phone masts. It is a one way broadcast on a best endeavours basis. Our Government has very little input to a system that has been put together by a number of disparate technology companies.

Our Government is basically responsible for about 10% of the whole setup. They rely on the phone networks, using their masts to send the alert. They decide which of the masts the alert should go out from, either localised or National. That is the part the Government has any real control over. The rest of the system is down to the phone manufacturer, the OS developer, the quality of the signal from your local mast, whether you can even get 4G or 5G. Whether your local mast is down at the time the signal is sent etc. etc.

It is not a fail safe communication. It is just ONE of many systems the Government will use to alert you should a real emergency occur. There are way too many factors outside of the Governments direct control to make this the one and only alert system they would use, I guess that's why they wanted to test just how useful it could be.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, ChrisB said:

At 1515hrs I realised mine had not gone off, it is a Samsung S20. I opened it to see if there was a message and swiped down from top. The message then appeared and the warning sounded. I don't know if I have blocked it in some way.

I too have a Samsung S20 and mine never did go off and no message.

11 hours ago, Meantime said:

But, you have to realise it is totally different to the Track and Trace app. The emergency alert system is a feature that has been built into the OS by Apple and Android over a number of years. It is available in any country that wishes to take advantage of the technology. It relies on you having a good signal with a 4G or 5G phone mast. It relies on a number of phone network providers and their phone masts. It is a one way broadcast on a best endeavours basis. Our Government has very little input to a system that has been put together by a number of disparate technology companies.

Our Government is basically responsible for about 10% of the whole setup. They rely on the phone networks, using their masts to send the alert. They decide which of the masts the alert should go out from, either localised or National. That is the part the Government has any real control over. The rest of the system is down to the phone manufacturer, the OS developer, the quality of the signal from your local mast, whether you can even get 4G or 5G. Whether your local mast is down at the time the signal is sent etc. etc.

It is not a fail safe communication. It is just ONE of many systems the Government will use to alert you should a real emergency occur. There are way too many factors outside of the Governments direct control to make this the one and only alert system they would use, I guess that's why they wanted to test just how useful it could be.

Hmmm.  Given Three’s claimed network coverage, the fact that very few of their customers actually heard the alarm, seems to indicate a massive flaw in the system.  Surely, not all of their network was down at the time, nor all of their customers using ‘old tech’ phones?

E134DA17-3573-44BD-8D13-F954741A6406.jpeg