Scorcher…

chrisdobson45

Believe  meso glad to see warm and sunny weather. For us in much of broad land;it bed pretty poor weather  in the last few months. At last our garden seemed to have picked up.The growing was slow. It also feels better with a bit of sun.The only thing I have to be careful  with   is lots of sun protection and aftersun.This is because  of Radiotherapy which makes it easy to burn.A small price to pay .So enjoy the weather 😎, lots of sun cream hat and lots of water.Not to much beer 🍺 or 🍷 wine.That includes you Gracie 😀 too.Save that until later in the day out of the sun .

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It's been sunny in Lincolnshire this weekend as well.

The River Steeping was looking well yesterday in the sunshine. 

20230610_102927.thumb.jpg.85e21089c015fda26332e99e5e79574b.jpg

20230610_102704.thumb.jpg.3ee47c07cb700a1d8cb9546b89e7266e.jpg

20230610_102902.thumb.jpg.cdbdebbb9bfa9a0f5b750b34ae4920d0.jpg

Looks set to be more of the same today. So it's a beach day for us I think 😃

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cal said:

It's been sunny in Lincolnshire this weekend as well.

The River Steeping was looking well yesterday in the sunshine. 

20230610_102927.thumb.jpg.85e21089c015fda26332e99e5e79574b.jpg

20230610_102704.thumb.jpg.3ee47c07cb700a1d8cb9546b89e7266e.jpg

20230610_102902.thumb.jpg.cdbdebbb9bfa9a0f5b750b34ae4920d0.jpg

Looks set to be more of the same today. So it's a beach day for us I think 😃

Have a lovely time, but please remember to cover up.

• Like 2

I spent the day at the beach yesterday with a friend and her children, it was just right with a gentle breeze making it feel not too hot. Lots of sun cream applied and no wine Ian. I waited until the evening for that :default_winko: It was an uncomfortable night for sleeping until the wine kicked in anyway :default_biggrin: x

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

It’s the usual thing of having gone from 13 degrees to a forecasted 27 degrees in a couple of days with not enough nice inbetween bit. Gardening done. Feet up for a while … and the rest of a Roys lemon drizzle cake to have with coffee later. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Hylander said:

Have a lovely time, but please remember to cover up.

We decided to go to the beach before it got too hot.

Dog enjoyed himself.

20230611_084217.thumb.jpg.fbaebad2693bc414587afa3cdc2206cb.jpg

20230611_084217(0).thumb.jpg.f2fc3114c8b75d6dfaeaaaea16b48186.jpg

20230611_084301.thumb.jpg.05a49e0c8bbf4810a67e095e192f468f.jpg

Now back at home. We were going to walk to the pub this afternoon but it is hotter here in Nottinghamshire than it was at the coast so it might be a few beers in the garden instead!

• Like 3

This is a screen print of my post from this time last year. The damage is done for me. Still having cancer frozen, scraped and cut off.

Screenshot_20230611-130526_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1f79de756d6cf9b709060ee7c2b41edc.jpg

Get and wear a Wide Brimmed UV proof Hat.   I find Tilleys are best and the way they last are not so expensive.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Sorry to hear that Chris B,  I too but more centre forehead have been having treatment just lately but that was from something I had over 40 years ago which came back.      Please everyone be so careful out there.   

Our Tilleys many years ago cost around £50 but honestly they never wear out, wash and come up like new and if they go in the river,  the float.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wussername said:

One chap I read about had his Tilley eaten by an elephant. It came out the other end, he washed it and looks as good as new. True.

I had a baseball cap that looked like it had been eaten by an elephant, it didn't look good as new.....

And it hadn't been eaten by an elephant.:default_blush:

• Haha 7

Tilly hat ordered following advice from members, the baseball cap will only be used in shady areas now.

My neurologist suggested a winter hat to keep the cold and wind of my head and a summer one to stop my head getting too hot, I hadn't actually done anything about a summer hat until I read this thread, thank you all.

• Like 4

I have an austrailian made leather hat I bought for the cowboys fancy dress on the lads week, ever since i bought it I have worn it out when boating, and have now taken to wearing it when out in the sun otherwise (and it was cheaper than a tilley)

12 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

Tilly hat ordered following advice from members, the baseball cap will only be used in shady areas now.

My neurologist suggested a winter hat to keep the cold and wind of my head and a summer one to stop my head getting too hot, I hadn't actually done anything about a summer hat until I read this thread, thank you all.

I got mine after a recommendation on a sailng forum. Another bonus is that Tilley designed it with two straps so it will stay on in a good wind. I have since bought a winter version: heavier material, no straps but it does have a flap which comes down around the neck and over the ears. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ChrisB said:

This is a screen print of my post from this time last year. The damage is done for me. Still having cancer frozen, scraped and cut off.

Screenshot_20230611-130526_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1f79de756d6cf9b709060ee7c2b41edc.jpg

Get and wear a Wide Brimmed UV proof Hat.   I find Tilleys are best and the way they last are not so expensive.

2 hours ago, grendel said:

I have an austrailian made leather hat I bought for the cowboys fancy dress on the lads week, ever since i bought it I have worn it out when boating, and have now taken to wearing it when out in the sun otherwise (and it was cheaper than a tilley)

If you value your health, or your life even, do not consider the cost. A hat alone will not give sufficient protection. A high SF cream (SF50) should also be used and keep out of direct sunlight when possible (difficult for those who like to take their holidays in the Med). Remember, tanning is the body trying to protect itself.

Read this, from the Australian Government (and they know a thing or two about sunshine) https://www.arpansa.gov.au/understanding-radiation/radiation-sources/more-radiation-sources/sun-protection-hats

Also take a look at this leaflet. The photos are of my face during the treatment. It hurts, believe me!

Efudix-leaflet--with-pictures-.pdf

Efudix-leaflet--with-pictures-_Page_1.jpg

Efudix-leaflet--with-pictures-_Page_2.jpg

Edited by Paladin
jpgs added as pdf is not visible unless logged in
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Had a rodent ulcer( Basel cell cancer)removed from my nose 7 years ago.It left a nasty scar. We weren't made as aware of the dangers back in the day as we are today and it's a bit worrying to think of what damage we may have sustained that has yet to manifest itself.

Carole

• Like 1

On 11/06/2023 at 13:55, Hylander said:

Sorry to hear that Chris B,  I too but more centre forehead have been having treatment just lately but that was from something I had over 40 years ago which came back.      Please everyone be so careful out there.   

Efudix cream treatment is what I am on at the moment.     Apparently costs a bomb for a tube of it.     Dont throw it away if you get prescribed a tube ,  it seems it lasts for about 20 years.

8 hours ago, Paladin said:

If you value your health, or your life even, do not consider the cost. A hat alone will not give sufficient protection. A high SF cream (SF50) should also be used and keep out of direct sunlight when possible (difficult for those who like to take their holidays in the Med). Remember, tanning is the body trying to protect itself.

when I am out cycling there is always a bottle of sunblock with me, I take 2 bottles on the boat, SF50 where I can get it, but 30 and more regular application if I cant. as a blonde I am very susceptible to the sun and always have been, so have it ingrained to be careful.

I did once get sunburnt when working on the car (in January) I was out there most of the day, my arms tan gradually as I mostly wear short sleeves year round, and this weather they are getting the factor 50 treatment.

• Like 3

I got mine from laying on those stupid sunbeds as you did in the 70s.  I only used the sun bed 3 times.     My friend who lived on them  unfortunately died of bone cancer in her late 50s.     Why oh why did we do it, you wonder.

• Sad 2

I run a Cadet group. We have strict risk assesment proceedures in place, and if it hits 25 degrees we have to start actions to mitigate the risk - shade, stop activity etc. This on top of the slip, slap, slop, hydration etc. Had them on an activity camp this weekend, and no issues

• Like 1