Surprised

Hylander

I have just been viewing a video taken last May on the Southern rivers of a Richardsons Commander boat passing with lads all over it, singing shouting and lots of loud music.    Do they really let Commander out to all blokes parties?    It shocked the people taking the video.

• Like 1

Equally, I see far more all male parties behaving perfectly normally!! Is there a way to tell ,in advance how they will behave?

At the same time why confine that comment to male parties? In the day, and I agree it was a some time ago, it was often felt by the yard, that the all girl boats were even worse!!

I have also seen mixed groups behaving inappropriately, of all ages!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, marshman said:

Equally, I see far more all male parties behaving perfectly normally!! Is there a way to tell ,in advance how they will behave?

At the same time why confine that comment to male parties? In the day, and I agree it was a some time ago, it was often felt by the yard, that the all girl boats were even worse!!

I have also seen mixed groups behaving inappropriately, of all ages!

Well if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a duck,  These were blokes , not females.   They were behaving in antisocial way, disturbing everyone else enjoyment ,  but I guess that is ok.

• Like 1

I’ve witnessed mixed groups behaving like animals on day boats, as well as same sex parties.  I think the funniest one was last year when we were heading up The Ant.  What looked like a hen party was ongoing on a dayboat - one of the ones with a cooker and a loo that looks like a small Sheerline.  All of the crew were in or on the bow, including the roof, so much so that the aft was only just in the water, allowing the prop to do its job.  They were having a good time anyway!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

I have just been viewing a video taken last May

Last May??  Nothing current to worry about then?

Regarding all girl groups on boats I remember my mother saying they were always by far the worst, since they would meet up with all boy groups on other boats as soon as they got to Yarmouth Yacht Station and by the time they brought the boat back at the end of the week, there would be hardly any of the bed-linen left on their boat (having been transferred to the boys' boat) and not very much of the crockery and cutlery either!  All girl groups are very well known in the business as far more irresponsible than all male groups.

Remember Peter Sellers :

"Now tell me, headmaster, how do you segregate the sexes?"  " Well if you must know, I go round with a crowbar and I prise them apart."

Can't we enjoy this holiday season, with what few customers the Broads has still managed to attract, in what clearly appears to be the start of a recession, without raising the "issue" of something that happened last May?

• Like 6

"Can't we enjoy this holiday season, with what few customers the Broads has still managed to attract, in what clearly appears to be the start of a recession, without raising the "issue" of something that happened last May?"

Couldn't agree more Vaughan. I see no point in bringing up old complaints, especially ones that are open to question. Example, how is it known the crew was ALL male, and is it relevant?

How about keeping things in a positive light, how about trying to assist the marketing of the Broads. 

PS. My boat has an all male crew on it almost all the time. Am I rowdy? Hmm perhaps best not go there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

I agree about being positive surrounding The Broads and all there is to enjoy, but last May was only 8 weeks ago.

Rowdy crews however rare can be the ruin of family holidays and I think they are responsible for putting off more holidaymakers than a post discussing the problem on one internet forum... even if the video turns out to be the May before last!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ray said:

The Broads and all there is to enjoy, but last May was only 8 weeks ago.

Excuse me, sutthun must 'ave 'appened to the English wot I was taught.

Surely last May means May last year.  This May, would be May this year.

All the same I think my point is valid.  For Goodness' sake, let's enjoy the Broads for what it is and what we have left of it, without knocking it.  It's future is fragile enough, just now.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Vaughan said:

Excuse me, sutthun must 'ave 'appened to the English wot I was taught.

Surely last May means May last year.  This May, would be May this year.

Wot, you mean my teechers got sumthink rong? 😂😂😂

Yep I do agree about being positive Vaughan 👍 🍻

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think boatyards can be expected to look into a crystal ball and forecast the behaviour of a given party taking over a boat and whether they're same sex or mixed is immaterial. Am I right in thinking if you witness anti-social behaviour you should call Broads Control?

• Like 3

We all want and should  be able to enjoy the river.There is no place for very bad behaviour  and when necessary should  be reported. True yards often will not know if groups are Angels or Devels.Reducing bad behaviour  on the broads  will help the image no end.

• Like 1

Don't have this thread removed at all Monica, you are perfectly entitled to post and if it causes a good debate there's nothing wrong with that 

Now the way I see it and for what it's worth I have seen bad behaviour from same sex groups, couples and families, it's always going to happen wherever you are on holiday or whether it's in May or ruddy not

I have also seen and met some very nice friendly boaters from all camps who have helped others and seen acts of kindness that far outweigh any of the above but sadly it doesn't get talked about so much. A scandal is always much more interesting :default_biggrin:

As for all girl groups being worse than any other I can only say from my experience on my hen boat we were well behaved and respected other boaters, well most of the time anyway :default_norty: There were no men allowed so we didn't move our bedding etc to another boat either thank you very much

Now I am about to start six weeks of fun with my kids, a tad bit of wine tasting might be involved and a few lie ins too 

Have a great summer everyone, forget about May, it's gone all ready :default_biggrin: x

• Like 8

1 minute ago, NeilB said:

If anyone spots a badly behaved all female crew please inform me immediately of their location.  I’m happy to investigate on behalf of the forum…. :default_eusa_naughty:

Volunteers to assist Neil should form an orderly queue 😁

• Haha 6

17 minutes ago, NeilB said:

If anyone spots a badly behaved all female crew please inform me immediately of their location.  I’m happy to investigate on behalf of the forum…. :default_eusa_naughty:

15 minutes ago, Ray said:

Volunteers to assist Neil should form an orderly queue 😁

You wouldn't stand a chance , we'd ave ya for breakfast :default_biggrin: x

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Where ever you go in the UK, Yorkshire, Devon, Cornwall, Wales, Scotland, Norfolk, where ever you will find a minority of people who act irresponsibly.

Here in Norfolk we are mindfull of this issue and concern. We put in place standard's that deal with this concern. 

However, it takes time, and our endeavours are sometimes undermined.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

Now the way I see it and for what it's worth I have seen bad behaviour from same sex groups, couples and families, it's always going to happen wherever you are on holiday or whether it's in May or ruddy not

I have also seen and met some very nice friendly boaters from all camps who have helped others and seen acts of kindness that far outweigh any of the above but sadly it doesn't get talked about so much. A scandal is always much more interesting :default_biggrin:

Just what I was going to write Gracie. 
Each week I’m out I see something on the less than social side, but always counterbalanced by far more incidents of downright kindness and friendliness. 

This week’s was a middle aged man (of a couple, playing loud music on the quay heading at Salhouse) telling the person who wanted to come in to moor next to them to **** off. I purposely made a point of going over to help the new arrivals moor up and give a friendly welcome, otherwise it might have ruined their evening. 
It happens, it’s life, especially when all cooped up together on moorings. 
Broads Control is there to report things to if necessary, especially dangerous actions that lead to injury. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1