Broads Authority Mooring Fees

MauriceMynah

The difference here regarding Travellers permanent sites is that the Travellers have history of well, being travellers, not homeless.

And how welcome are Travellers made when they rock up to the local green?

You cant just turn  up anywhere and decide to live there, everything in this land is owned or regulated by someone.

Set aside areas for residential moorings?

So what happens when these areas are full?

You cant really say "No more" because the exact same arguments still applies because the only limit that can be fairly applied is when the Broads is full.

If you allow limited residential then the price will go up until the point that only the rich can afford to stay there and back to the beginning we go.

This is the classic thin edge of the wedge argument.

• Like 3

There are plenty of law abiding livaboards in the various marinas be it official or not, the problem with some of those that don't have a base is that regardless of how many residential moorings could be provided they wouldn't use them as they would have to pay, and that applies to all waterways not just the Broads.

Fred 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

the problem with some of those that don't have a base is that regardless of how many residential moorings could be provided they wouldn't use them as they would have to pay, and that applies to all waterways not just the Broads.

Ultimately, those people would probably be better off on the CRT network, where they could spend up to 2 weeks at a time in one location without breaking any rules. The obvious difference is, on the canals, there are endless miles of moorings, so they can afford to have people stopping for prolonged periods, and liveaboards have to invest in solar, as there's less access to power outside marinas.

If they had the sense to invest some of this in solar, they could tuck themselves away on wild moorings for days and probably have a more relaxed time of things. Seems like one or two of them actively enjoy looking for confrontations though.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Meantime said:

and Sutton staithe which would probably give you a reasonably short list of videos. Then I'd look for one that had been uploaded in the last few days from that list.

Thank you for that hint (which somehow got past the censor) and I have now had the chance to watch the full video thoroughly, a couple of times.

I am sure that moderation would not permit me to give an opinion on it, except that there is no "speculation" in saying I am now quite convinced in my own mind, what has been going on here.

The question remains :

Is the arbitrary closing down of electric posts and thus excluding them from all boats who moor overnight, the best way to deal with what is evidently the "real" problem?

In my view, no, otherwise they might as well close them all off.  So much for "running engines on moorings"!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

regardless of how many residential moorings could be provided they wouldn't use them as they would have to pay,

That may be true of some and there will always be one or two black sheep. *

All the same I know from the horse's mouth (Roger Wood) that all those in Jenners Basin were paying him an agreed affordable rent ; had been for 10 years and there were no arrears.  I believe the rate at that time was £10 a foot p.a.

* Oh dear, am I allowed to say that?       :default_hiding:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

That may be true of some and there will always be one or two black sheep. *

A

* Oh dear, am I allowed to say that?       :default_hiding:

Vaughan - I believe the correct terminology in this day and age would be "sheep of colour" (said tongue in cheek!). :default_hiding:

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I am sure there are good liveaboards who are well awar as to who the culprits are in this case and not wanting to not have electricity in the winter themselves,  I would imagine whoever will be feeling the wrath of the other liveaboards.   

They are spoiling it for everyone. 

• Like 5

Could it be that someone has found a way to get free electricity from the posts and now the BA has to go away and find a way of making the posts tamper proof? And if so, what would be the best thing to do in the meantime, just let them get away with it?

I watched the video. All I could see was some blokes just getting on with their work, not looking guilty or shady, not ashamed of working for the BA

I don't see anyone having a go at liveaboards.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have come into this topic some of the way through,only get Sunday's edition. I was really looking forward to going to Sutton Staithe this week after not having been there do 3 or 4 years, Oh Dear!! Very disappointed,it's become a mess. Won't be going there again.

We have moored at Sutton 3 times this year and will be going again at the end of the month when we are back on the Broads. Sutton on the green is one of our favourites. Marge is spot on, no problem whatsoever for us.

Go and have a look for yourself Lawrence. Ok the leccy might be off but don't let that put you off going if you want to.

1 hour ago, Lawrence said:

I have come into this topic some of the way through,only get Sunday's edition. I was really looking forward to going to Sutton Staithe this week after not having been there do 3 or 4 years, Oh Dear!! Very disappointed,it's become a mess. Won't be going there again.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lawrence said:

There is plenty of good mooring at Sutton, just no leccy at present. Hopefully the water will be accessible. Definitely nothing to be concerned about there though. 
Re the boatyard mooring, I think it may be unavailable at present as some groundwork is being done. You could always telephone to clarify. 

• Like 2

Not having the faintest idea how to go about Foi requests, I have started trying to think of ways in which the leccy posts could be deemed to be misused.

I don't believe for one moment that electricity has been stolen or the posts vandalised in any way, but I have read somewhere, that there are rules governing their usage.

Please correct me I'd I'm wrong but is it that the cable used on the posts must be of one length (no joints) from the post to the boats official socket, ruling out such things as adapters and extension leads? 

Further, if I am correct, the 32amp socket must not have a lead with a 32amp fitting on one end and a 16amp fitting the other (like mine has).

These are rules to keep jobsworths in employment and will only effect private boats.

I accept I may be jumping the gun but once again I feel that the BA is attacking liveaboards,  this time by using some small print as their weapon.

If electricity was being stolen, then the BA would have had every right to involve the police and insist on arrests being made. This they did not do. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Not having the faintest idea how to go about Foi requests, I have started trying to think of ways in which the leccy posts could be deemed to be misused.

I don't believe for one moment that electricity has been stolen or the posts vandalised in any way, but I have read somewhere, that there are rules governing their usage.

Please correct me I'd I'm wrong but is it that the cable used on the posts must be of one length (no joints) from the post to the boats official socket, ruling out such things as adapters and extension leads? 

Further, if I am correct, the 32amp socket must not have a lead with a 32amp fitting on one end and a 16amp fitting the other (like mine has).

These are rules to keep jobsworths in employment and will only effect private boats.

I accept I may be jumping the gun but once again I feel that the BA is attacking liveaboards,  this time by using some small print as their weapon.

If electricity was being stolen, then the BA would have had every right to involve the police and insist on arrests being made. This they did not do. 

MM you are right regarding leads etc although I and I am sure many others have been using them for years with no problems, again you are probably right in that the issue is with certain livaboards, personally I don't think it is an attack on livaboards per se just the few that abuse the system to the detriment of us all, the problem is the BA have very little ability to deal with persistent overstayers.

Fred

• Like 1

If there are rules what are the consequence of infringement? The cable rules referred to suggest health and safety to me.

If someone is using the wrong cable it would be easily visible and therefore relatively easy to deal with on an individual basis. Consistant violators would be found out. 

Stealing electricity, I would think, requires a little more stealth. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

If you listen to the Youtube video in detail, the Police have attended and there seemed to be a suggestion from one ranger that they were going to return. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out every word they said, but it seemed like a slightly pointed statement.

I don't believe for one moment that electricity has been stolen or the posts vandalised in any way,

Out of interest, what makes you believe this so strongly? I've learnt in the past that people short of money very quickly turn to tampering with meters. Ironically, I discovered this at a location not far from Sutton.

• Like 2

The plugs and superstructure fittings used for shore power on boats are the European standard and are the same as used on caravans and camper vans.

I have an adaptor, with a normal mains plug, if I want to plug the camper in at home.  I am not aware of a BA rule that says what you can plug in to their posts but in the event of a fire or other damage to the boat, you may have trouble with the insurance if your fittings are not up to European standard.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, floydraser said:

Stealing electricity, I would think, requires a little more stealth. 

I noticed that the man doing the video was handed back his own plug before the post was covered over and also appeared to be offered a refund on what was left on his card.  So if anyone had been tampering it didn't appear to be him!

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 06:00, Vaughan said:

I noticed that the man doing the video was handed back his own plug before the post was covered over and also appeared to be offered a refund on what was left on his card.  So if anyone had been tampering it didn't appear to be him!

Unless the credit is via a commercially available card, they can be reloaded with the amount of your choice for some meters, I know of one pub whose own meters will accept a ba card so they do the card bit for you to make sure they get the money not the ba when they supply the leccy, I believe the beccles YS meters (different from ba meters) are the same as another pubs own meters too although beccles have to program them for the specific meter used.

So there is possibly ways without actually tampering with the posts, I spotted the remarks attached to the video about use of angle grinders to turn boxes back on though (although not linked to this particular issue I must add) which is just plain wrong and dangerous if shut off due to a fault, the mentality of stealing the leccy (at all our costs) is out there amongst certain people.

• Like 1