I Am Getting Old. No Not Getting Old. I Am Old.

Wussername

Limited  abilities? These days I'm pathetically grateful for any remaining abilities. as Bette Davis is said to have remarked Old age is not for cissies. Ain't that the truth.   However the alternative is no great shakes either I suppose.

Carole

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Wussername said:

Smogggy. A wonderful solution. Do you often go boating?

When I can, not now till easter as someone else has my boat to refurb the windows, but come spring (and windows) hopefully every couple of weeks. 

Do I need a stairlft fitting?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

When I can, not now till easter as someone else has my boat to refurb the windows, but come spring (and windows) hopefully every couple of weeks. 

Do I need a stairlft fitting?

I hope not.

For some the end of boating.

I had hoped for a more considered responce for those who leave boating because they lack support and help in their later years. 

• Like 3

I know Nancy Oldfield are more for disadvantaged and disabled as opposed to just elderly and a bit unsteady.  However, Waveney Stardust caters for a wider range, as long as at least one of the group has a disability or be elderly, unable to use a standard Broads cruiser.

A bit pricy but get a few friends together and spread the cost a little.  https://www.waveneystardust.co.uk/ 

Sadly there's no disabled equipped boats for overnight private hire on the Broads, although there are some on the canals.  There was a Broom 37 sedan available for hire many years ago with disabled access and equipment but it wasn't around for long.

• Like 4

However I feel more could, or should, be done to assist those of an age, who would benefit of consideration.

I often see people struggle to get on a boat, off a boat. Why? Infirmity, age perhaps or simply a lack of confidence. Or a physical impairment, a dreadful injury from what ever cause, albeit accident, illness or conflict.

Sometimes  a simple grab rail on a boat to assist. 

Folding steps on tidal waters from the bank to the boat. 

In my dotage, as a boatman, of many years, I have to look towards  my grandchildren for assistance to get on or off  a boat. 

Next time you have moored your boat just watch those who genuinely struggle and then ask yourself why?

• Like 3

You never know what can happen in the future

I haven't hired a boat for at least 5 years because my dad, bless him, lost his leg and now has Parkinson's. We try to get him on the Broads as much as we can albeit on land as boating is impossible for him now. 

I know he  misses boating so much but nigh on impossible now for him anyway and that's why we look for land based holidays near the rivers

I could never hire a boat knowing it's what he wants more than anything, in his mind at least but his body is unable

I so understand where Old Wusser is coming from because of the situation with my dad

It could happen to anyone, as for Andrew, I totally understand where he is coming from and I feel for him so much

Grace x

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Some times we all need a little help. Covid got me and if it hadn't been for Marge doing all for me who knows where I would be now.

People struggle with stairs, generally moving about and even gaining access to transport.  I think that being adaptable and doing the best you can with a sense of humour is the only way to win.

Stern on access to broads cruisers has improved over the years and a lot of boats have very decent side decks now. Obviously the choice of boat makes a real difference. 

I feel really sad and sorry for those that have no one to help .

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 4

Can be very frustrating when hiring, the problems are a bit more manageable with your own boat (at least for a while) as 'there are steps you can take'... figuratively and literally.

My mum is fond of saying "old age doesn't come alone" although she can't seem to get her head around the fact that both her children are pensioners!

• Like 2

My dad also loved The Broads.  Since 2010, he’d become virtually wheelchair bound, he’d developed dementia and his sight was becoming worse due to cataracts, which the NHS wouldn’t treat.  It was evident that he was becoming weaker as his conditions worsened.

I’’d read that NBD had an adapted dayboat, however when I first enquired, it wasn’t available due to failure of the wheelchair lift.  As soon as it became available, I booked it for a day in July 2016.  Although I didn’t tell mum and dad where we were taking them, we had arranged with our son to meet us with his wife and our grandson, at mum and dad’s house in Milton Keynes early on the day and we’d all go to Wroxham for a day out.

Dad sat in the front passenger seat of my car.  He was deaf and had hearing aids, but didn’t get on with them, so he didn’t hear or say much, but enjoyed the journey.  It took a while getting them out of the car and onboard the boat, but after a while we were all aboard and we set off for Coltishall.

It was a beautiful day, sunny and warm.  We arrived at the pub and I managed to stern moor right outside The Rising Sun, so we could operate the lift to get dad (and mum) ashore.  It was lunchtime, so we got some menus, made our choices and ordered food.

After we’d finished eating, we stayed for a while before heading back to Wroxham to hand the boat back.  As with the journey there, dad didn’t say much, but was taking in as much of what was going on around him as he could  Mum told us that they’d both enjoyed the day and although dad hadn’t said a great deal, he was glad to have been back to The Broads.

As it turned out, aside from collecting my parents from Milton Keynes for Christmas Day that year and taking them back home Christmas evening, that was the last day out we had with mum and dad together.  He was admitted to hospital on New Years Eve and passed away on 13 February 2017.

I didn’t know it at the time, but these were the last two photos I have of mum and dad together.  I am so grateful that we took the time to take them out for a few hours, however difficult it was to get them in and out of the car and on and off the boat and to give my dad a day to look back on, as well as he could with the conditions he was suffering from.

20160717_142330.jpeg

20160717_142325.jpeg

• Love 12

I think, sadly, you just have to move on. How do I know? I am in the same position- and I think you just have to look back upon the good times you had - somehow I have managed to stick all those thoughts away at the back of my mind.

In part its been helped by the fact that it comes also with a sense of relief that I no longer have to do all I had to do - I have realised quite how much I had to do, but all the deadlines, and worry that came with them, have gone. Everything else now takes longer, and I long for the warmer days so I can sit in my summerhouse and reminisce. I no longer have that all consuming desire to be afloat.

Curiously, my Dad went through the same phase, despite actually living in Ranworth - he gave up his boat and never went near the water again, not even down to the staithe. Its strange I know and I always could never understand why he acted as he did - but I do now!!!

• Like 5

Some very reflective responses on this thread. I guess Graham and I are starting to realise that we need to make the most of our time afloat, as you never know when illness that will make boating difficult or impossible is going to strike.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Some very reflective responses on this thread. I guess Graham and I are starting to realised that we need to make the most of our time afloat, as you never know when illness that will make boating difficult or impossible is going to strike.

Wise words, I am afraid age and health are beyond our control and we all need to maximise and appreciate what we have, both have caught up with me but I am fortunate enough to still be reasonably active and able especially when I look around and see many a lot younger far worse of than myself, life`s to short for regrets so make the most of what you have.

Fred

• Like 5

3 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Some very reflective responses on this thread. I guess Graham and I are starting to realise that we need to make the most of our time afloat, as you never know when illness that will make boating difficult or impossible is going to strike.

It is this sort of reasoning that helped me make my decision last year to finally buy a boat, after years of just dreaming.

Having spoken to a few of you at the Spring meet up, I realised I was making excuses to myself in putting it off. So rather than wait for perfect timing and all the ducks to line up, I slightly compromised my dream of being on the Broads, and bought on the Great Ouse instead. It is that much nearer that I can go most weekends if I want, or even for the day.

I can now build on the reality and joy of boat ownership, rather than just keep dreaming of it

And every time I am on the boat, even whilst it is out of the water, it bring a huge smile to my face

• Like 11

Life is what happens while you're making plans. If you want to do something, and can afford it - DO IT. I had 20 years of ownership, and had to give up when I ran out of crew! I look back on 20 years of laughter and sheer freedom when afloat. Can't put a price on that. I thought I'd really miss boating, but I strangely don't. Perhaps I'm just one of those who can transit from one state of life to another without too much angst. The Broads was also losing it's appeal somehow - couldn't say what or how, it just didn't feel right anymore.

An interesting thread and food for thought. Boating certainly get a little harder as we get older and less mobile and less confident in our own physical prowess. I certainly have to think sometimes when jumping off the boat to moor. It doesn't sit well with me having been a very physical person all my life. Keep fighting everyone. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I showed this thread to my dad, it helped him a little, thank you for that.

I agree about not putting things off and going for whatever you want to do before it's too late. Old age is coming to all of us, those of us lucky enough to live till then anyway. 

Getting older is hard enough but when you develop an illness or condition, it just makes things even more difficult. My dad is a strong man, he fights every day, never complains but there's a hint of sadness within him. He can still remember the times we had on boats, we often talk about them. You can see his face light up when we do

He also told me off for my earlier post that was badly written :facepalm:It was late, I was tired and I've had Covid, that's my excuse anyway :default_biggrin:

If you exercise, eat the right foods, get your eight hours etc etc, you are still going to end up the same as everyone else. So take life by the unmentionables and enjoy every moment x

• Like 5
  • Love 2

I fully intend to grow old - Disgracefully.

I now do what I want, when i want, and if that means I get the urge to go to the theatre or the circus on my own, I have no hesitation to do so.

If I want to collect junk, or get rid of junk, I do,

if I want a shed for my hot tub, by george I will build a shed for my hot tub, no matter if the neighbour hangs out of his window watching and passing comments (who cares - he barks back at dogs and squarks back at birds too).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I fully intend to grow old disgracefully, I should be able to manage it alright, they say practice makes perfect and I've had plenty of  that! Neighbours should meet the expectations required of Victorian children seen but but not heard. 

Carole

• Haha 1