Very nice production Clive  :clap 

I think the photos and maps work very well combined with the descriptions of the places of interest. Some superb photography. A very useful publication particularly for first timers. I remember years ago Blakes used to send out a little information booklet which was very handy but this is a much bigger and better version. I’m sure that it will be very popular!

• Like 1

Well done!

I love the idea that your customers should take care when overtaking water skiers!

JM I have always taken care when I have overtaken a skier thats downed in the water. But, with a glare as I pass  :naughty: The wash that they create aint funny.

cheers Iain.

Clive,

Perfect!  Most of the information in the on-board folder does not get read until the second or third day (if ever!), so the ability to read this on-line prior to a holiday is a really good idea.

I agree with Robin and others here: A great credit to Richardsons and the Broads in general.

One minor point:  On page 159 the illustration tying the Bowline does not seem to show the line passing back through the loop, although the completed (undo) knot does.

• Like 1

cheers for all the comments, We 'stole' the knot pictures so will have to check that...

we have had enough printed so we should not run out, there is a price tag on it but we have not put it anywhere

so sell yet...

I am sure there will be some on Ebay after Easter! but the best way to get hold of one would be to

book a holiday with us!

• Like 1

"Please speak to the people on board the other boat about

mooring alongside before doing so"

Page 157....I'm sorry but that gives the impression that

it will be ok to moor alongside and just informing them

that you will be doing so!

In my opinion that should read:-

"Please ask the people on board the other boat if it's

ok to moor alongside before doing so"

This subject caused a huge amount of 'dialogue' in

2012 and was the reason that the BA changed their 

stance on the idea.

There are certain groups of 'holiday makers' I don't

want mooring alongside us, and I don't need to go

into it further here.

Also there are certain types of craft that are unsuitable

to moor against due to their differing styles, such as

lack of walkways around the boat or even having the

stanchions with wire ropes through which can trip

up the unwary.(We had our stanchions bent last year

by someone using them to pull their much larger

boat alongside)

That's without having someone climbing about on your

boat after coming back late at night when you have

already gone to bed.

And before someone starts giving me grief over that

statement, I do allow it but it will be my choice not theirs.

:hardhat:

• Like 1

Clive sorry but would you be worried about the weight of the outer boat? Say Pink champagne moors against one of your smaller boats. Could the larger boat do any damage to the smaller inner one? 

Down here there's lots of rafting and it's carefully considered that the lighter one goes on the outside, although they can 5 or 6 deep! cheers

Hi Alan,

I think only double mooring is required here not rafting 5 boats! :shocked, there have been plenty of discussions about this, but this is a booklet aimed at the hirer, if they are told to do the 'right' thing then there will be more people operating in the way the broads used to work, obviously common sense comes into play and if boats need swapping round then it adds a bit of social interaction and friendliness to the experience which we are in danger of loosing if we are not careful. :River Police

• Like 6

Oh the double mooring conundrum returns for 2015...

Last year when aboard a 46ft Jewel of Light we set off to Horning from the Ferry Inn for papers, breakfast and the like.  When we arrived a smaller 35ft boat out of Horizon Craft at Acle was moored – we turned into the current, came along about 5 foot away and asked “can we come alongside” – to which the couple said ‘sure lets help you with the ropes’ and so we brought our boat in alongside with no worries.

I am sure that has been repeated many times and will throughout this season at various moorings without any issues whatsoever.

However, there will always be some who simply would rather not be ‘hemmed in’ or who would be more worried about the boat coming into more alongside them getting it a bit wrong and scuffing their hull etc etc.

If people wanted to keep a boat away from them as they flicked through bylaws reciting them, or equally if a hirer was to protest saying “but it says in my guide I can” I’d prefer to leave them to stand up for whatever they stood for and go somewhere else peaceful.

• Like 4

Thanks Clive, I agree and take your reply as a no (/kinda but theres better things to be worrying about!). I agree it all adds to the holiday and we have done double moored a few times on the broads and it's something different to do.. all part of the fun! :)

I suspect what we would do if pink champas wanted to moor along side us, I think we would move, mainly for safety of our own boat and it would make more sense for them to be alongside the bank, but I'm sure we would then come alongside them though :)cheers

• Like 2