Dear Clive,

Had a look at the first couple of pages and decided to wait until March 20th when I'm on Carousel. I see me reading it when my wife is getting dinner ready and I'm waiting for the head to form on my freshly poured beer. Pray tell me if that sounds good???

• Like 4

Well you have now told me! :clap

So yes please to a copy - Tks.

I too took a small peep on t'oither channel - Not nice but I'm not really surprised anymore

Griff

I to took a look, my god most of them are right miserable so and so's

They complain about hire companies not giving enough info, tips etc,

along comes a big broads hire company trying to do something about it, producing a really nice brochure that you want to look at,  not just lots of damp pages in a binder that you do not want to read   and bang it all wrong to much info

I tell you most of them should only be allowed to enjoy the broads from the bottom of the river bed!!

• Like 5

Clive, I did not read it as a book of rules......more like a book with loads of info about your chosen holiday area.

By the way I think it is very noble of you to suggest that YOUR publication could be of benefit to others who may not have had the foresight to have booked their holiday with you.

Yet another feather !!

Jeff

• Like 4

I had to look at the "dark side" and I would say it was in general positive, 1 very anti Richardsons and the rest making the point about the double mooring.

You can do all the Good in the world but you will always be remembered for your last mistake.

Ps does anyone know if all the hire companies provide mooring warps long enough to double moor?

I would also expect anyone double mooring, especially an inexperienced crew, would hopefully take advice and not trash your private boat!

The dementors in another place certainly know how to suck the life and soul out of a good thing. :shocked

I must congratulate Clive on a very good publication. After 14 years holidaying on The Norfolk Broads I was surprised to read the brochure and still find things that I must make a point of doing this year. Not quite a Hamiltons Guide which is sadly missed, but it does provide lots of information for everyone. I really enjoyed reading it.

It would be very remiss of me though if I didn't draw your attention to an inaccuracy in the last paragraph of page 157. I believe the same is true of some pub moorings that allow double mooring. :naughty: :naughty: cheers

• Like 3

Bit sad really, its a shame.  I do find it frustrating when facts are wrong (not just this topic) but there is no point putting things right as most of the time it gives us good coverage  and  I assume that as I am not involved  it goes on longer. (longest thread this year!)

Thanks to the people who have taken the time to PM me and comment on here, the wheels are in motion to correct the page on the web but it will take a couple of days as we don't host it. 

No need to tell anyone  :naughty:

• Like 8

Kfurbank makes a very good and valid last post over on the 'Dark Side' :clap

IMHO the 'situation' over at our neighbours is that nowadays there are more censors (Mods) than there are active discussions per day,

those that do still post jump on any current topic just for the sake of it.

Richard (Owner) has tried to calm it down with a good posting imho - but the usual censors that enjoy fanning the flames are even ignoring him now!

They reap what they sow springs to mind

In my mind that statement about double mooring - I read it as Kfurbank did - that is Richo's advising THIER customers on THIER boats and how to conduct themselves.

Clive - You should have added another piece of advice in your excellent brochure - 'Beware of mooring anywhere near to a craft displaying four blue waves on a pennant as they are likely to be non - too friendly when double mooring' and will start spouting thier opinion of local byleaws :naughty:   When what they should be doing is promoting the ideal of being afloat and friendly together

I'd like to say it beggers belief but sadly and non surprisingly it doesn't

Griff

• Like 11

I would love to see a copy, indeed to own a copy.

Able to pop into the yard anytime.

Second best.....

How do I obtain a PDF copy.

Old Wussername

Quite easy actually. If you click on the link on Clive's original post it opens a new window. There is a tab at the top to download a pdf copy. Just click on it and follow the instructions. Its about 26mb as a pdf.

Assuming Clive doesn't mind of course :naughty:

You will need a fair bit of ink to print it off though :shocked

Very good publication though (IMHO of course) :grin:

• Like 4

Oh geez, I must admit these discussions aren't a shining light for the broads, I really dread to think what newcomers must think. Thankfully in real life the broads are welcoming and everyone I've ever met up there have been very pleasant.  I do hope that these "negative keyboard warriors" on other places are typical of boat owners and don't get out on their boats much! 

Clive (and all involved), as I said I think your production is brilliant, personally I think its a huge shame you have found the need to do to produce this as in my opinion this is something the tourism companies/BA should be doing for you. As for content I read it all straight away and I saw no problems (Other than the weight question which you answered cheers).  Keep it up and thanks for marketing the broads as it should be done.

• Like 6

A colleague of mine once became so incensed with a grammatical error he had found in a student paper we were to assess, that he wrote a four page diatribe denouncing the writing abilities of the student. As the paper was passed around the faculty everyone had started to mark the colleagues rant instead of the student's work. By the time the document arrived with me the initial five page essay was nearing a hundred pages of comment. Turning to the work of the student I noticed that the student's essay was a comment on a grammatical error he had discovered in the initial question and which altered the context of the question and any answer he was to give, so he had detailed the error first and then wrote answers to both possible contexts. The student went on to be offered a full scholarship, my colleagues given directions on how to extract their heads from their backsides.

• Like 2

I fully appreciate why there are certain parties on this forum who may have a low opinion of some people in that "other place". Hells teeth, I'm one of them! However, please try to resist the temptation of using a thread over there to beat them with. It does nothing to enhance the quality of this forum.

I stated in one of my rare posts over there that forums sniping at each other had a negative effect on the forums doing the sniping rather than those 'sniped against', (though I may not have phrased it quite like that) a view I still hold.

As far as the subject of this thread goes, Great work Clive. Thanks.

• Like 8

I have to say that I have found the comments regarding that other place to be restrained and wholly reasonable. It is regrettable because it reflects on the Broads boating community although, thankfully, most folk rise above it and shrug their shoulders, it really doesn't matter, it's the other place's problem. Thank goodness we have an alternative in NBN.

Clive, bless him, has perhaps made an error of judgement, in the eyes of some. Personally, whilst it might be wrong, i think that he was right, if that makes sense. If folk don't want to double moor then, quite simply, they shouldn't moor where it is encouraged. We don't choose who we moor next to when we moor stern-on at Oulton Broad Yacht Station or Ranworth for example, why should we choose elsewhere? Now, having lit the blue touch paper, I shall retire gracefully.

By the way, a forum is only as good as the moderation team behind it, agreed?

• Like 6

I'll add myself to the list of grateful readers of Clive's free guide.

One can't help thinking that the negative sniping over there is primarily due to Richardsons not giving them their patronage, unlike Clive's many valuable posts on here.

It remains to be seen if any Broads businesses ever take their chances on there again after their shameful back stabbing of LBB after years of extreme support....

(sorry about the negativity, but I couldn't rise above it this time, must try harder....)

Clive - You should have added another piece of advice in your excellent brochure - 'Beware of mooring anywhere near to a craft displaying four blue waves on a pennant as they are likely to be non - too friendly when double mooring' and will start spouting thier opinion of local byleaws  :naughty:   When what they should be doing is promoting the ideal of being afloat and friendly together

Bit of a sweeping statement Griff isnt it.      I belong to both forums, yes and we do fly the NBF flag because being a bit tight, I bought it and until it falls to bits like the last one did in a very windy storm it will stay on the boat.      Its a wonder it is still in one piece as hubby managed to grab hold of it with his Pike Lure last summer and ripped it.    

We tend to avoid busy tines and no out of choice we would not want to be double moored, even with people we know, but in an emergency we would always allow this, who wouldnt.

it is a personal choice and lets face it in this country there is very little personal choice left to us.  

No I dont want to get chatting with every one on the rivers but I doubt they would want to get chatting with us two old f.rts..    Saying that  a friendly chat at the moorings especially on a summers evening cannot be bettered.  (is that word).

• Like 3