I think over forty years I have been double moored about six or seven times. In the days of NYS being busy it was boats of all sizes moored to you on the outside. At Reedham you were asked by the Ranger to tie to a certain craft, this may be for two reasons, one being the boat is not staying overnight, and he knew that, you were then able to pull your boat in on the ropes later. All very civil.

However, at Horning, I have seen it turn nasty as the person in the inside came running out the pub shouting to the boat tieing up to his to move off. Some local worthy showed him the sign about double mooring. He departed mumbling. I hated my pint of Broadside being disturbed by such rantings!

cheers Iain.

• Like 3

Not sure anyone would want to tie up to our little 24ft, narrow beam norman. With the canopy up there is nowhere to walk to get from one side to the other ;)

That said, being the kind people Deb and I are, I would move and tie up to them unless it was one of those stag or hen parties then I would definately refuse.

The Broads is about relaxing and meeting new people, sharing a cuppa or a beverage in one of the many lovely riverside hostelries.

Life's too short and it's only one night cheers

Steve

• Like 3

To get back on the original thread I think the publication which Essexgirl is thinking of was "What To Do On The Norfolk Broads" which was a very informative publication.

My own thoughts were what a brilliant replacement Clive's version is.

The only problem I could see with it is the fact that the customer does not see it until they are actually on the boat.....and the priority for them would more than likely be "Right, let's get on our way"

If the book were sent out a few weeks before the holiday date it would give time for it to be read by all crew members before setting foot on the boat.   That's the way that Blakes and Hoseasons  used to do it and it seemed to work well then. The postal cost could be hidden in the boat tariff.

Another bonus point would be that it could be noted on the computer that Mr ******* is a recent previous customer and may not require another copy (cash saving!)

Well done Clive & Co.........another feather in your hat !!

Jeff  

• Like 1

Thanks Jeff, 

The book was designed to be readable instead of a book of rules..

Next years customer will have a up to date one , if they come twice in a year then they can give it to someone with the misfortune not to have booked to come with us.. :naughty:  if they are not the  double mooring type and fail to interact with other river users then they can put it on ebay :naughty:  :naughty:  :hardhat: 

• Like 1

There is one easy way not to get anything wrong. .....

Can't please all the people all the time but there again, if we all agreed all the time there would be no discussion and how could we ever get better if we were all perfect?.. 

I know the exceptions to every rule are always going to happen but generally situations can be avoided and people worry too much about what may never happen, instead of just dealing with something if it does. 

If we legislate for every eventuality we would not allow people to use the river or have boats on them. 

if we are not careful the Broads will end up as friendly as an underground train where everyone wants the same and are doing the same but never speak or even look at each other. 

• Like 9

Same topic discussed in two places, two very different reactions. Someone must have spent a long time finding fault. One item out of a whole publication, and little praise of an otherwise informative and well presented book.

Funny old world.

Two things wrong! Some out of date individual called a Navigation Ranger a River Inspector, what a faux pas! 

• Like 3

It's good to see time & money going into 'new' things like this that no-one else is doing and will benefit many.

There will always be people keen to look for the negatives, be pedantic or use good works to bang a drum for something they have an agenda or past beef on.

As ever, it is easy to critiscise, hard to do better.  Especially true given this superb publication, created from the ground up.

If you show me someone who has never made a mistake or creates absolute perfection I will show you a deluded idiot.

Bravo to those who have spent a lot of worthwhile time on it and also for the vision & sense to spend the money on it

Dan

• Like 10

River Inspector, Navigation Officer or River Police as we refer to them, hang, draw and quarter the man. Honestly who cares, fantastic publication Clive.....well done :clap Mind you I haven't read it all yet, I just hope you haven't made a spelling mistake :naughty:

Grace

• Like 4

Can I first of all say that I do think it's a great publication

and what I highlighted was the only thing that I felt was

wrong in the whole publication.

As I stated, I have allowed alongside mooring but I don't

want to have to have an augument with anyone or group

who I do not wish alongside me because of what I feel is

something that could have been worded better.

Surely, informing Clive and others on here allows for the 

wording to be possibly(hopefully) modified in further editions.

Isn't that what these forums are about?

As I said, a good publication otherwise and long overdue, so

well done to Richardson's for it. 

• Like 4

Hi Alan,

I think only double mooring is required here not rafting 5 boats! :shocked, there have been plenty of discussions about this, but this is a booklet aimed at the hirer, if they are told to do the 'right' thing then there will be more people operating in the way the broads used to work, obviously common sense comes into play and if boats need swapping round then it adds a bit of social interaction and friendliness to the experience which we are in danger of loosing if we are not careful. :River Police

Amen to the above, especially the hope that there 'there will be more people operating in the way the broads used to work'.

Yes, we must have the right to say 'no', but equally we should have the right, and desire, to say 'yes'.

• Like 3