Suitable Shoes

Gracie

Ah but you sock wearers are in peril....this news just in from the BBC...and from Suffolk of all places...Socks are the instrument of Satan!

Mark ch 6 v 9 "Be shod with sandals".

Although there is an earlier text which seems to have the additional verse Ch6 V 9a  "But don not the socks of white with thine brothel creepers, unless thou hast a note from thy GP."

• Like 1

I find I wear deck shoes, as I feel safe getting on and off the boat for mooring and then sitting around on the boat a pair of slippers. All of which I keep on the boat. Then I have a normal pair of foot wear for every day usage ( no flash foot wear).

At some time in the past someone had walked in heels on our fly bridge, so we will have to get that sorted  :norty: .

Regards

Marina   :Stinky

What is it about wearing white socks? you ask

Well to be honest I don't know, but here's the story...

I used to have to change my socks (and wash my feet) at least three times a day, sometimes four. Failure to do this would enhance my "room emptying" abilities to perfection point. People tried to be nice about it but it was both difficult and unpleasant for them. It wasn't exactly a bed of roses for me either.

My feet came to a head (neat trick) in the hot summer of '76 when I was staying with my parents on a boat. I was in "no socks" mode so wearing sandals. They were useless as deck shoes, nearly sending me into the drink on a couple of occasions. Even with my feet dressed thus, foot washing was twice a day necessity, but they were somwewhat improved. 

This had become a regular topic of conversation, and was, yet again, being discussed over a beer or three in the Kings Head Wroxham... sorry, Hoveton.

A total stranger overheard the topic and intervened with the advice I wore white sports socks. This he assured us would, after a week, be the end of the matter, except that I would have to have my feet adorned in this manner for as long as I possessed my current pair.

Two things struck us. Firstly this fellow was indeed wearing white socks and secondly, it seemed that his feet were not smelly. It also struck us that in his white socked sandal wearing attire, he looked a complete doughnut, but you can't win 'em all.

Roy's is, as we all know, just round the corner from the Kings head, so while dad and I discussed the sartorial aspects of the fashion statement, mum shot round to Roy's and purchased loads of the b****rs.

It not only worked, the effect was almost immediate. Within three days I was wearing one clean pair a day and my feet became nose friendly to the world. A few years ago, I tried going back to normal socks as I don't actually like white ones, but after a week or two, it became apparent that this was not a wise move.

Why does it work?  I have no idea. Many theories have been put to me, but to be honest, I really don't care. It works and believe you me, that's all that matters.

Do I too look like a complete doughnut? Yes, but I can live with that.

• Like 3

MM,

You have more than likely tried this treatment for the walking whiffers, BALNEUM soya oil may help its a Medical Bath Oil and the smell is quite pleasent. I use it to reduce the itch! Think the smallest bottle is 200ml.  

cheers Iain

The PENULTIMATE cure for pongy feet was discovered thus:

As a kid I suffered badly....I mean really badly with 'foetidum pedes' or stinky feet. Tried everything in the book and the doctors book. Meanwhile we also kept chickens which suffered from scaly foot...see photo!

477x358px-796a95a1_scalyfootchicken348.j

The veterinary cure for the chickens was very expensive but not very effective. Over a pint at the local pub with Burmah Oats the local poacher and grave digger Uncle Albert received the following wisdom. Purchase potassium permanganate from the local chemist, put a couple of crystals into some water and dip the chickens foot into it. "And it also works on hoomings stinky feets!" added Burmah.

And it does too! Works a treat on chickens and after sticking my feet in the purple solution worked a treat on my stinky feets as well! Although I did tend to act like a c*** throughout my teens this was put down to me being a teenager and not the treatment...although some might say I'm no longer a teenager but still...

• Like 1

in my teens and twenties, I had feet that could clear an outside bar in seconds, it was so bad that on taking shoes or boots off both the feet and boots would gently steam for about half an hour, this was eventually cured by

a, wearing sandals when out, and

b, not wearing shoes or socks at ever possible opportunity.

now I have tough soles on my feet, they dont smell overly much.

I also used to have a problem, I could only wear cotton socks - or my feet got worse, with size 14 feet there was only 1 shop in the uk that sold them - Stead and Simpsons in London.

Yes I do now wear sandals, sometimes without sock, sometimes with (but never white socks)

I also have crocs, both the normal ones and the industrial ones with no holes.

I can now wear trainers all day, but the minute I get home, off come the shoes and socks, and I dont have problems.

for boating I used to have some canvas baseball boots, ex polish army baseball boots, the only pair that I have had at a reasonable price in my size. that or a pair of deck shoes I have now.

Grendel

Going to change back to the shoe thing as this post stinks :party:  :party:

I used to be very against deck shoes - and at the risk of upsetting a few people - because it used to peeve me seeing people who had been on a boat once wearing them with their Helly Hanson tops on all the time.

After a few near misses with trainers (and fed up with the black scuff marks on my own boat that no one cleans off for me) I bought a pair. I have to say they are worth it for the safety aspect alone.

For off the boat though I do take a pair of trainers for walking and pair of shoes/boots for a nice meal out. Walking boats come with us if we think we need them. In the summer flip flops on the boat (or bare feet), but never for walking round the deck or mooring up.

From Graces perspective the other half has 2 pairs of deck shoes on-board but cant remember the last time I saw her wear them!!! She will always have a selection of footwear from trainers, sandles, boots, flip flops you name it, so your not alone! :naughty:

• Like 1

with size 14 feet there was only 1 shop in the uk that sold them -

Aquafibre of Rackheath Grendel? I thought I was bad with my size 12 hoofers, but we're missing an opportunity for a new budget hire fleet, if only we could fit an engine in your old slippers we could use mine as tenders!  :naughty:

• Like 1