Boom time on the Broads

DAVIDH

Well, August has been a virtual sell out for the boatyards and the first few weeks of September are looking well booked up also.

Hoseasons report 28 boats still left to hire for one week commencing the weekend of the 5th September and just 17 boats available commencing the 12th September.
Great to see especially since the kids are back at school and shows the staycation is still alive and well.

Regards

David

Boom time on the Broads? Are you sure?

May and June Northern Rivers very quiet from personal observation.

July into August (school holiday time) able to moor at every location we tried, except Womack, and that was only once, other times several spaces.

First time I have been able to moor at Ranworth in August for several years and there were spaces all day long. One Saturday evening in August space at Ludham Bridge / Horning Marshes and never full whenever we have been past despite the reduced mooring space available.

Some BA moorings, eg. Cockshoot empty in August.

Certainly not a boom time. One yard I spoke to recently told me that a couple of boats in its fleet had thus far only managed about 10 weeks of hire. Closer to bust I'd say. 

You can't give any real measure to what Hoseason's has available; it seems like every year, around March, this company reports a 30% increase in bookings. I speak to operators who have good reason to question this. 

Two weeks ago, I had to go to Beccles in the evening. There were more than 20 spaces in the yacht station. 

It's an OK year for smaller yards, I am sure. With the economies of scale that the larger operators can lever, I suspect it's better than OK. 

I think really depends what end of the business scale you are at - Horning Ferry Marina are investing a lot of money into a Hybrid version of one of their boats, Richardson's have just launched the second Commodore, Barnes Brinkcraft are building so are Herbert Woods and I can't imagine that any of these firms are just going at it for the sake of it but know there is demand out there for these new boats to be hired.

I've notice however some changes such as Barnes Brinkcraft come the end of this season have some of their fleet up for sale through their brokerage company just as Herbert Woods have added more of their hire fleet for sale too.

I think increasingly the future is to prune back older craft and either slightly reduce the overall size of the hire fleet or build one new boat and sell one old boat thus maintaining the numbers. 

What I do think has been a big change is the number of short breaks being taken, where very expensive new boats are often to be seen on hire for a short break not a week or more and while that might mean bookings it of course equates to less actual revenue.  But it is not all about the big yards and their new boats, Bridgecraft at Acle who do not have their own website and rely upon Hoseasons and repeat customers  always are popular and well booked showing a fleet of well kept boats even if older stock hire well.

Hi All, we went pass Thurne about 1 hours ago and there were lots of mooring and even when we passed Bridge Inn, Acle around 12 ish there were moorings by the pub. Womack is almost full. In the Kings Arms having a good drink. Weather could be a lot better . Hi to all from the .Net who are out on the river ️. Regards Marina

Rainy-day attractions on the coast have probably seen an increase in business but I feel sure that that is not the case for businesses relying on the sunshine. As for the yards that claim an increase in business, will their customers return next year, having found out that there are very few rainy-day attractions on the Broads? 

"where very expensive new boats are often to be seen on hire for a short break not a week or more and while that might mean bookings it of course equates to less actual revenue." 

Unless of course they can hire it out again as a short break.

Broadway, High season:-

Friday to Monday-- £1413

Monday to Friday--£1413

Total-£2826

Friday to Friday--£2019 

So worth more to the yard of £807 per week. (Assuming it hires as in the example)

So ok, change of bedding, admin etc. but still a profit to be made.

To me, the "Boom time" if you can call it that, I believe was in the 70's and 80's. Double the hirecraft and probably the same in boatyards too. The old Hoseasons brochure when it plopped through the letter box early November was as thick if not thicker than present day BT Phone books!

cheersIain.

I think a lot of them were down South going North from Friday to Sunday.

We booked at the New Inn in Rockland for Sunday lunch thinking it would be packed out. They had a steady stream of customers, but it was never really busy and plenty of seats free. So don't think they will say it's a boom year and this must be the time they make their money. The Staithe has been pretty quiet there as well when we have been to the pub! 

We could do with The Open at The Royal Cromer then. The Coast Road from Walcott to Cromer is worse than many a third world country. 

But of course, I am of an age when I still can't quite accept that we are a third world country.

I was just referring to the number of boats out on hire as opposed to this time last year. I have records - simplistic though they are, that show less boats available at one day's notice than last year.

Weekend of 1st August had 0 boats for hire compared to 4 last year

Weekend of 8th August had 1 boats for hire compared to 19 last year

Weekend of 15th August had 2 boats for hire compared to 27 last year

Weekend of 22nd August had 5 boats for hire compared to 34 last year

Weekend of 29th August had 60 boats for hire. Have no record for last year but was surprised it did not sell better as it included the bank holiday.

Regards

David

To me, it looks a very average year afloat or ashore and sadly few yards seem to having a bonanza. Even places like Ferry are no better/ no worse than a year ago and overall at the end of the year, my guess is that it will all have been a year when the majority had to work just that bit harder to stay in business.

i have to say the comment on moorings coincides very much with my own impression and is probably a result of less private owners out and about. On purely anecdotal evidence the car park adjacent to my mooring has only been crammed full on one weekend, and that was this last one and then with that Monday we had, it soon began to empty.

My view overall was probably then  -  very average, could have been an awful lot better!!!!

Boom time is definitely not happening! Most of the larger fleets were either down of just holding their own  on bookings, but after last week i would guess a few last minute bookings never happened so that would be annoying for some.

Day boat hires are still basically the same,  and when you take into account that no one has produced a contract of 25+ new days boats since Barnes invested over 10 years ago there will naturally be a few that retire......! 

You will also notice that all the hire fleets will always build two or three new boats each year, as this allows them to sell old ones and helps make a decent cash return on the assets, plus keep staff busy & productive. Obviously Clive & Paul at Richardsons are always investing however, im sure they made a major & longterm investment choice  a few years ago....?! I.e. Even if next year is crap,  im sure they will continue on their longterm plan and build new boats.....

I don't like calling the Broads a National Park but at this rate it could end up as the Richardsons Park!! :-) :-) 

Some bl**dy sunshine would help for a start!!!! :-) 

• Like 3

The old Hoseasons brochure when it plopped through the letter box early November was as thick if not thicker than present day BT Phone books!

cheersIain.

Always used to go with Blakes - couldn't afford the "posh" selection from Hoseasons !

• Like 1

If this mornings weather is anything to go by then we are in for an 'Indian Summer'. Who knows, Hoseasons could yet break all records!!

Yards that just hire, I suspect, are most likely to struggle. Big yard builds a boat that actually costs them £50,000.00, They then hire it out for X amount of years at X+a lot before selling it on for anything up to £100,000.00. Ridiculous guesstimates? Maybe, but I suspect that the ratios and general principle are probably not that far off the mark.

• Like 1

If this mornings weather is anything to go by then we are in for an 'Indian Summer'. Who knows, Hoseasons could yet break all records!!

Yards that just hire, I suspect, are most likely to struggle. Big yard builds a boat that actually costs them £50,000.00, They then hire it out for X amount of years at X+a lot before selling it on for anything up to £100,000.00. Ridiculous guesstimates? Maybe, but I suspect that the ratios and general principle are probably not that far off the mark.

if you take the VAT off you may be nearer the mark but a decent 45 will cost upward of £140k + vat to build not including heat light rent etc, not worth much more 5 years on including the VAT..

We all had a bad april/May this year, the main season is well booked as usual, anyone who is well up must have had a shocker last year as we are up a little but not a lot, considering the investment in boats year on year we would probably be down without them.

• Like 3