Well slap my bum and call me Gladys

MauriceMynah

Well well well ! Here I go again. Yes I know, this has happened before and I got over it but it’s looking worse this time, Let me explain.

There was I, minding my own business having a beer with a friend (yes, I do have some) when suddenly I decided to look at some boats that were for sale. I finished my beer and took a wander.

There it was. A nice little craft, just one foot shorter than mine and at a very attractive price. Volvo diesel inboard and what looked like the original gel coat. I’m seriously thinking of selling Nyx and going for this one, I really liked it.

“So what” I hear you all say, “No big deal swapping boats, people do it all the time.” Ahhh yes I says, but this one’s got a stick! Yes folks, I’m looking at another raggy.

Now, I kid you not. It’s a 26 footer and I’m rather smitten so will someone give me a good hard slap and get me back to the land of rhyme and reason. If nobody does that there’s a better than average chance I’ll be heading back up to my boat to have a look inside this new madness of an idea.

If anyone interested wants to, it’s at Sutton staithe, and it’s a twin keeled Westerly.

• Like 2

I have no problem with slapping MM's bum if he even dares to think about buying a sailie thingy, as far as I am concerned, he has had far too many beers and totally lost the plot :naughty: If he feels the need to zig zag on the rivers, then he really needs to helm a proper boat with me, I can teach him a thing or two about  zig zagging good and proper. Iv'e done it down the Ant on a Saturday afternoon more times than I care to remember :naughty::gracie:

Grace

• Like 5

What a good idea MM. Yes,  come back to the civilized side of boating :naughty:

However - seriously a word of warning, If you intend  to take up sailing (again)  a bilge keel yacht will dissapoint!  They are OK in open water like a broad such as Barton or Hickling (although I'm not sure that about  a Westerly and 'that' bridge), however on the rivers people tend to find that too much speed is lost on each tack to make meaningful progress to windward.

Gobbledegook to most here I know, but worthy of consideration. Don't ask how I know..... :(

• Like 2

Older Westerlies are notoriously comfortable cruising yachts, and the bilge keelers notoriously sluggish. Check for osmosis around any deck stanchions. Ideal for the older man who wants to take Gladys 'sailing'. I used to deliver boats along the South Coast, Westerlies were amongst my least favourite boats. 

• Like 1

You also need to look at the keels just in case she has been kept on a hard bottom drying mooring. Taking hard ground twice a day has caused stress cracks on some boats.

Having said that Westies were really strongly built and have in most cases stood the test of time. If you love the boat I would not bother about the speed she goes about. One thing about the Westerly was they were fitted with decent engines not underpowered auxillaries so when you want to make up time on the river just motor. It is what you would be doing anyway! But on Barton, Hickling etc away you go under sail.

A good spray hood and a tiller extension and you can keep out of most of the weather plus you can keep the hatch and companion way open.

Go for it. I have left my intended return to sail too late, do it while you can, you can return to power when the years catch up with you.

Stinkey doctor urgently required to give MM  complete service including gear box change. Brain surgery to follow if he continues down the :Sailing route!  This is serious stuff on the NBN a member going slightly senile! 

If you see MM looking at rag n sticks, drag him into the nearest bar, and talk some sense to him, please.

Concerned, Iain.

• Like 4

We had a triple keel (Falmouth Gypsy).. I didn't dare bring it into the broads. Weighed about 3 tons. Turning circle resembled that of a tanker. The Medway and Thames estuary weren't even big enough at times. Brilliant for cruising the coast but sod trying to go inland with them. (Popular boats though. Volvo MD2's though.. Ask Steve on LadyP what his thoughts are on these engines!).

• Like 1

Well, I've looked at the photos of the interior  http://www.broadlandyachtbrokers.co.uk/boats/468

and have decided that it's just a bit too short on the creature comforts. I'm just too fat and lazy to go that way, nor in all reality do I think I'm agile enough. Still It looks a great boat for the right person.

Thanks all for the advice given. I can hear the sighs from here that I'll not be zig-zagging my way up the Ant on a summers Saturday afternoon, Clive's being the loudest sigh of all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Well, I've looked at the photos of the interior  http://www.broadlandyachtbrokers.co.uk/boats/468

and have decided that it's just a bit too short on the creature comforts. I'm just too fat and lazy to go that way, nor in all reality do I think I'm agile enough. Still It looks a great boat for the right person.

Thanks all for the advice given. I can hear the sighs from here that I'll not be zig-zagging my way up the Ant on a summers Saturday afternoon, Clive's being the loudest sigh of all.

Hooray! I like happy endings! :party:

• Like 2