BA campaigns against engine running

Polly

I am afraid I agree largely with Peter on this subject, however, I am not sure where the driving force for the ever increasing complexity on Broads boats comes from. Is it an industry desperately trying to hang on to customers so forced to meet their increasing demands? Is it greedy yards wanting to grow ever bigger and therefore trying to attract a different kind of boater? I'm really not sure...

Personally, I would never part with the kind of cash required to hire one of the new boats with all the mod cons - don't need them or want them. Certainly, I feel a boat that needs to run its engine for lengthy periods whilst moored close to others, just to provide for all the mod cons, is IMHO an undesirable nuisance...

I have used cruisers, and when I did, they were able to provide quite decent hot water and enough battery power for modest use on a family boating holiday, just through daily boating. Hotel rooms they were not... but it's not what I wanted. You have to time your showers sometimes, but hey, you're on holiday, who cares?

Edited by Broadsword
update
  • Like 6

May I put the hot water in the morning bit, slightly differently. In the early spring say Easter holiday, it can and has been freezingly cold. You turn the hot water on in the morning, ziltch, cauld, bliddy freezing!

Solution, insulate the tanks on the hire craft better, or cruise even more hours! Move forward towards the summer, aye I remember a hot summer, just! So, you turn on the tap in the morning, and pot luck, some hire craft will have ample water to dicht the face, and IF you're really lucky, up n doon as far as possible! 

Back to autumn, funny enough, I have always found ample hot water in the mornings to do what we did in the summer!

This is not a high level scientific study on my part,  just 40 plus years of sampling Norfolk's wonderful boating holidays!:)

cheersIain.

• Like 4

We come because we love the Broads, but we need our comforts. We don't want to be freezing cold, or not to be able to wash when we want (within reason) and we pay good money to do so. If they change the rules - then we might not come again. I could manage, but I don't think that my wife and kids could and for the money we pay (low sea season - (+ 1,000 and high season - + 2,000 pounds) - Do you blame me?????

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, riyadhcrew said:

We come because we love the Broads, but we need our comforts. We don't want to be freezing cold, or not to be able to wash when we want (within reason) and we pay good money to do so. If they change the rules - then we might not come again. I could manage, but I don't think that my wife and kids could and for the money we pay (low sea season - (+ 1,000 and high season - + 2,000 pounds) - Do you blame me?????l

Not at all!

2 hours ago, Jonzo said:

Yeah indeed you can, and a diesel cooker for that matter. Moores tried one in 2006, but had replaced it by the following season as people were too unfamiliar with it.

What's the heat-up time like on a diesel boiler? I imagine that would be the downside?

No idea! We have immersion but no diesel water heater. You can them with a programmable timer though......

I guess this topic has proved that we are all different (thank goodness) and we all want and expect different things from the Boats we hire or buy. As long as the Hire companies recognise this and cater for all our needs it will be win win for all of us. My fear is that the older affordable type of Boats will eventually be sold off to make way for the bigger posher Boats, making it increasingly difficult for normal, average wage earning families to be able to afford a Broads holiday

I don't blame you at all, Eric, but if and when I am able, wild horses wouldn't stop me coming to the Broads, even it I had to run the engine to have my whirl pool bath lol :kiss

Grace

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Gracie said:

My fear is that the older affordable type of Boats will eventually be sold off to make way for the bigger posher Boats, making it increasingly difficult for normal, average wage earning families to be able to afford a Broads holiday

Here here Grace, I highly believe that the movement to larger boats is slowly killing the broads off. We always used to hire the smallest Alpha craft (wildcat) and when they pulled these from the fleet we was a bit stuck (We went to Marthams and then brought our first boat). Whilst I understand the logic behind having larger boats in the fleet I do think there's a market being missed where people just can't afford to hire the new bling boats :( . 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JawsOrca said:

Here here Grace, I highly believe that the movement to larger boats is slowly killing the broads off. We always used to hire the smallest Alpha craft (wildcat) and when they pulled these from the fleet we was a bit stuck (We went to Marthams and then brought our first boat). Whilst I understand the logic behind having larger boats in the fleet I do think there's a market being missed where people just can't afford to hire the new bling boats :( . 

I agree that the move towards larger, more expensive boats is a concern, but if there wasn't a demand for them they wouldn't be built. I'm not sure, though, that the smaller/cheaper end of the market is quite as neglected as you say. Yards like Martham, Pacific, Freedom, Maffetts, even Summercraft, have boats which serve that part of the market. We're coming up in a few weeks to do some work on our half-decker and are hiring a boat from Freedom to use as a base - cheaper and much more enjoyable than renting a cottage!

9 minutes ago, littlesprite said:

Children are no longer sent up chimney's, women have the vote, the world moves forwards, if people want the luxuries that they have come to expect from life, boat yards have to comply or die.

"Long live the revolution. "  :Stinky

I used to hire the cheapies, because that was all I could afford and I always enjoyed it. Now that I can spend a bit more on a boat, I just enjoy it all the more. There is nothing wrong with a little luxury and the market is dictating that.

• Like 3

"Long live the revolution".....Totally agree, Martin, onwards and upwards as the saying goes but try telling that to the people lined up outside the food banks that are popping up everywhere, one has just opened up in the posh little town where I live, these people can't afford a day out let alone a weeks holiday. We as a family are not rich by a long shot but we live comfortably and are more than able to provide for our kids, now and in the future, unfortunately and terribly sadly a lot of people are getting left behind.

As Jaws so rightly pointed out people hire smaller older craft because that's all they can afford, if hire yards do away with these little gems in their Fleets, these people will be priced out of the market

Absolutely spot on Eric and why shouldn't you, I would just like to see a balance where young, old, rich or poor are able to enjoy our beautiful Broads

Grace

p.s Carry on like this and I'll be up for a Nobel Peace Prize lol :naughty:

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, riyadhcrew said:

I used to hire the cheapies, because that was all I could afford and I always enjoyed it. Now that I can spend a bit more on a boat, I just enjoy it all the more. There is nothing wrong with a little luxury and the market is dictating that.

And there is the secret, choice, cheap no frills boats for those who want them and 5* luxury for those who want/afford them

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Gracie said:

"Long live the revolution".....Totally agree, Martin, onwards and upwards as the saying goes but try telling that to the people lined up outside the food banks that are popping up everywhere, one has just opened up in the posh little town where I live, these people can't afford a day out let alone a weeks holiday. We as a family are not rich by a long shot but we live comfortably and are more than able to provide for our kids, now and in the future, unfortunately and terribly sadly a lot of people are getting left behind.

As Jaws so rightly pointed out people hire smaller older craft because that's all they can afford, if hire yards do away with these little gems in their Fleets, these people will be priced out of the market

Absolutely spot on Eric and why shouldn't you, I would just like to see a balance where young, old, rich or poor are able to enjoy our beautiful Broads

Grace

p.s Carry on like this and I'll be up for a Nobel Peace Prize lol :naughty:

I agree with what you're saying Grace but expectation is part of the problem.

As a child we had no car, no fridge , no washing machine, no central heating, no TV,  all these things cost money to buy and run. How many people now cut their own logs or collect pine cones for the open fire, we used to but never thought ourselves poor.  The modern poor are rich by comparison, it's just that expectation has moved on.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, littlesprite said:

Children are no longer sent up chimney's, women have the vote,

True, but modern life does have up-sides too.

ANYWAY, TWO QUESTIONS...

Before the BSS effectively killed off calor gas water heaters (Ascot's), did boats run their engines much without moving?

and second, Were there many instancies of death by Co poisoning or of boats exploding?

• Like 2

I was beginning to think I was reading the 'home from home' thread! 

Having hired boats for almost 30 years before buying, I really can't remember having to run an engine whilst at a mooring. As a hirer, I could never get enough of being on the move so I guess the batteries were regularly topped up during the day. Now retired and able to enjoy river life at a real slow pace, sometimes the batteries need a little help and that's where the leccy posts really come in handy (if you can get near one that is :naughty:).

Having had a further reply from the BA, it is obvious that all the Authority had in mind was to remind boaters that running engines at moorings could be an offence. They reckon there was insufficient space to say anything else in the Broadsheet Newsletter although the words 'to the annoyance of others' would hardly have taken up much more space.

Suffice to say, I think we do not have to worry too much or change our ways as most of us understand the necessity for engine running or the annoyance it can create.

• Like 1

One of the first things to drain batteries was the introduction of the domestic electric fridge on boats, they run beautifully at home, running off batteries is a large drain. The newer boats should have their battery bank and alternators geared for modern equipment, the older upgraded boats often struggle when the battery system is left unchanged.

• Like 1

OK, I realise I may be in a minority in my hope and expectation of quiet moorings - and admit, I am not aware of the demands of the more recent additions to hire fleets (thank goodness) so, how about this for a suggestion? Could we not have at least some moorings that are designated as 'quiet' where it is absolutely NOT permitted to run your engines, except when arriving or leaving?

I am still at a loss to know why the most modern boats have to be the most disturbing (as seems to be the case from this thread) but at least this way, I could be assured of some protection from morning and evening engine noise.

For example, on the Northern Rivers, at Malthouse the moorings to the left of the dyke could be 'quiet'; Cockshoot dyke could be 'quiet' for its lower half (if I can't have it all; Paddy's Lane could have a 'quiet' stretch etc and the moorings on the far side of the river at Horning etc. etc. You can add your own suggestions.

I don't imagine the BA would bother to explore such a simple solution, but it could work. If it were quickly discovered that, amazingly, more people wanted the peaceful moorings than otherwise, the balance could be shifted easily, just by moving signs!

• Like 5

I know this topic has gone from one thing to another (nothing to do with me lol), but I don't think it's that big a problem, yeah it's annoying if you're moored right next to a Boat giving it full throttle, I don't even know why I got involved in this thread, we mud weight or wild moor most nights :rolleyes: Any way, I try and do as my Dad has taught me and that's a little bit of give and take.

Just to take this on another tangent, Danny, you mention Cockshoot Dyke, we have spent many a glorious afternoon there, just fishing and watching the Boats and the world go by, people could have a ruddy barn dance and it wouldn't bother me :party2:as long as they don't run their engines :naughty:

Grace

• Like 4

Haha! You're right, of course, it is not that big a problem, though we have been irritated on occasions!

Love, love, love Cockshoot Dyke, pity it's too small and awkward for motor cruisers... like Gays Staithe... Barton Turf... White Slea and a few others...  :naughty:

Edited by Broadsword
spelling!
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Maxwellian said:

Lovely two berths from Maffetts with Merlin and Swallow. You need to treat them nicely though, don't want anyone roughing them up.

And I know Merlin would love to come to the Beccles Wooden Boat Show should anyone like to bring him...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

And I know Merlin would love to come to the Beccles Wooden Boat Show should anyone like to bring him...

Not Merlin, but we've rather fallen in love with a very sad ex-Martham cruiser. Just very nervous about asking for a second date.....