Thurne Lion

Mowjo

I always liked The Lion and will like it even more now (Need any wall / floor tiling doing? :naughty: ) We will definitely once again use the place during the season and I can see it being put back on as one of our regular stops during our 'Lads Week' Hopefully even our Friday Dining Out Night.

Well done Rick, we wish you all the best

Griff

• Like 4

All tiling done at NBN rates Griff?

6 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

I always liked The Lion and will like it even more now (Need any wall / floor tiling doing? :naughty: ) We will definitely once again use the place during the season and I can see it being put back on as one of our regular stops during our 'Lads Week' Hopefully even our Friday Dining Out Night.

Well done Rick, we wish you all the best

Griff

1 hour ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Welcome Voiiolet and Lake sailor. Can we hear a little bit about you both

Ian:welcome:

Hi  I joined the forum in I think it was Aug 2015 and introduced myself then. but heres a quick recap. not a regular on the broads but just starting to go again now couple of times a year . Been around boats though for 40 years on the lakes in Cumbria and of the west coast of Scotland sailing and motor cruising.

I haven't been on much but when I have I just  been reading posts and not commenting much.

• Like 4

So Horning sailing club :Sailingwill have to go thirsty / hungry on 21st Apr, but hopefully you'll be be open for their next down river race to Thurne on 21st May.:clap.

i enjoy the civilised down river races to Thurne,  having a quick lunch and race back.

I look forward to trying your beer and food.

• Like 3

On 11 March 2017 at 1:44 PM, lakesailor said:

Hi  I joined the forum in I think it was Aug 2015 and introduced myself then. but heres a quick recap. not a regular on the broads but just starting to go again now couple of times a year . Been around boats though for 40 years on the lakes in Cumbria and of the west coast of Scotland sailing and motor cruising.

I haven't been on much but when I have I just  been reading posts and not commenting much.

Hi Lakesailor, We hired yachts on Windemere in the early 70s from Windemere Holidays Afloat. The yachts were all well known production yachts, but not in the best condition. We went back a couple of times around the millenium, but the boats, though newer, got worse. Where and who did you hire from?.

Hi Speedtriple  I never hired on Windermere as we had our own boats sailed and raced the windermere class yachts, flying fifteens and various dinghy classes.  I worked for holiday afloats hiring out the self drive motor boats during school holidays  but as you say the boats weren't of a good standard .

• Like 3

Good news we need another decent pub in the area.

will our favourite white horse burger morph into a lion burger though ha ha

Hope all goes well Rick, will call in as soon as you open

regards John

• Like 2

I have never had the pleasure of meeting Rick but having read all the comments in this thread can I make a suggestion ?

Rick, taking in to account your expertise and popularity can I suggest that you keep your ear to the ground with regards to the Ferry Inn at Horning......

There is a challenge for you to turn a well positioned pub with less than average following into a well positioned brilliant pub.

Jeff 

• Like 5

Rick really does know his stuff, a nice thought indeed, I'm sure he would do great things there. 

Problem is, I think, (and I will happily be corrected) the Ferry is a Pubco which makes life much more difficult, but not impossible, as Phil has proved superbly at the Bridge Inn  cheersbar

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Rick really does know his stuff, a nice thought indeed, I'm sure he would do great things there. 

Problem is, I think, (and I will happily be corrected) the Ferry is a Pubco which makes life much more difficult, but not impossible, as Phil has proved superbly at the Bridge Inn  cheersbar

Well according to this advert, the freehold is available:

http://uk.businessesforsale.com/uk/lion-inn-in-thurne-for-sale.aspx

On 3/10/2017 at 7:08 PM, Bobdog said:

Will the brewery at the White Horse be supplying the Lion?  Please!!!

yes we will bob, we can upgrade capacity here at white horse a bit and long term expand it to thurne but short term looking to add cider production to the lion for next year

• Like 4

On 3/10/2017 at 7:40 PM, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

This has been a great read, and wish i`d contributed sooner, but in all honesty, i think many people have said more than i would be able to offer.  It really is great news to hear that someone with an excellent reputation is taking the Lion on, as we flatly refused to go in there, though we did once, and got a really strange, and uncomfortable feeling about the place. 

We wish you all the very best with the Lion Rick, and hope all goes well, especially with the locals as they are your bread and butter in the out of season months. 

One thing i will ask re the moorings,  Is there any chance of having a couple of water hoses installed, as it`s a bit of a pain having to travel to Potter Heigham or Acle to fill up?.  Also, a couple of 240v posts would be handy, but installing the hoses and posts would be very expensive, unless of course you can strike a deal with the BA?.

We`re on Lightning in late April, so will miss the opening, but will come in and say hello if that`s okay?.

in early talks with broads authority regarding moorings so we will see what happens, getting them able to be used asap is the biggest step as currenty unsafe in parts

• Like 4