Broadsword

Done To A Crisp

27 posts in this topic

Guys / Gals if you want to maintain a lower temperature. DONT OPEN THE WINDOWS......

If the air outside in the shade 6 ft off the ground is 30 degrees then the sunny air coming in your windows will be a darn sight warmer. Do what the swiss and Germans do they either have shutters or blinds or curtains which they close during the hot sunny periods during the day. Our house here is a confortable 5-6 degrees lower inside than the air outside. We either shut the shutters if we have them or curtains on those rooms we don't have shutters closed. As soon as you open the windows you lose immediately. Don't forget the feeling of moving air being cooler is just an artefact caused by the properties of water i.e Sweat. evaporating from the skin using heat from the skin to vaporise and disappear. In high humidity places this doesn't work of course.

The temperature must be over 84 before we (humans) start having active cooling issues as that's the accomodation temperature where your body has to start using energy to cool down. Which is why A&E and high dependency wards and neonatal units are all at that temp or warmer.

Most important for everyone is to stay out of direct sunlight when it's this hot and drink loads to maintain hydration. The elderly don't always know they are dehydrated and can suffer sun stroke or heat prostration very quickly.

I have 34 degrees outside and ceiling fan going in my office, external blinds down and windows shut. Still warm but cooler than my colleagues who like their windows open. I must admit that at home the 30 mm tripple glazing does help quite a bit. I'm just glad we don't have to pay for it as we rent the house.

Owning a woodie also means I'm quite pleased not to be floating in this heat. 

riyadhcrew likes this