Jump to content
  • Announcements

    Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

    You can Sign up or log in with your Facebook account and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

    Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

  • If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

    Forum Shop

LondonRascal

Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

Recommended Posts

Happiness is not a destination ... if you think of it as something to be achieved then you may never arrive.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robin when you renamed Indy did you have to de-register it, I keep meaning to find the video with the original name on it did it have Hull (port) under the name.

I was thinking they have a log of the boat plus the radio reg was linked to the boat name.

The trip boat I was on that was registered in Hull even thought it's never seen 10 mile from Leeds.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Siddy said:

Robin when you renamed Indy did you have to de-register it,

No, because her registration had lapsed. I was going to go and register it again as Part 1 and still could, but get this I need to prove her weight, and I understand I need a Surveyor to do this.  I could go for a SSR registration, but since she is on the Broads now this again is very much 'down the list' of things right now.

As to the radio registration that was easy, but the EPIRB was a bit more of a process to have registered to myself from the last owner.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happiness is a decision we can make every morning. I am happy to be coming to Wroxham in shore accommodation with a day boat to use for the week. Will wave like mad at any NBN friends.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has been sometime since I had anything to really report..But NYA have been working away and solving issues and finding more to then solve and I am happy to say that:

I have two sets of brand new belts fitted and to the correct tension with new screws to hold the safety covers in place correctly too.

The ongoing coolant leak was traced to the bodge where a threaded valve had sheered and been 'glued' in with some gasket putty. This was removed, the engine block where it attaches cleaned up and new threads put into the metal to accommodate a new valve and now all that is awaited are the correct Yanmar seals. The thermostat housing was also removed and taken to the workshop to clean up and inspect.

Previous dangerous bodge:

IMG_6067.jpg

New valve connected to thermostat housing

IMG_6194.JPG

Work now moves to the RIB engine and oil system.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

Work now moves to the RIB engine and oil system.

Decided not to diy the job then. should have been easy with a small suction device to remove the oil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FairTmiddlin said:

Decided not to diy the job then. should have been easy with a small suction device to remove the oil

Duly bought small suction device to remove the oil - along with new battery, and fully synthetic oil of the correct grade to go back in. Having sucked out just over 200ml no more would come - consulted service manual on the operation and found I had only sucked out the contents of the oil tank - which should be free of oil when the engine is not running. In order to remove the rest of the oil the tank and a bunch of hoses would need to be removed to obtain actual access to the engine and from there the sump.

Since I did not have the hose clamp removal tools I stopped and sent an email to Shaun and away went the stress and hassle.

Should anyone want a 60w, 12v oil suction pump which provides a flow rate of 5L per minute let me know. No charge.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a fitter did that bodge in my employ, he would be getting his p45, that`s really poor quality work. Sorry rant over, hope you enjoyed your bacon butties :default_icon_e_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LondonRascal said:

Duly bought small suction device to remove the oil - along with new battery, and fully synthetic oil of the correct grade to go back in. Having sucked out just over 200ml no more would come - consulted service manual on the operation and found I had only sucked out the contents of the oil tank - which should be free of oil when the engine is not running. In order to remove the rest of the oil the tank and a bunch of hoses would need to be removed to obtain actual access to the engine and from there the sump.

Since I did not have the hose clamp removal tools I stopped and sent an email to Shaun and away went the stress and hassle.

Should anyone want a 60w, 12v oil suction pump which provides a flow rate of 5L per minute let me know. No charge.

Defiantly have that off you Robin , I do loads of oil change's a yr mostly 4 its a proper pain with a manual pump , how much ? 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Defiantly have that off you Robin , I do loads of oil change's a yr mostly 4 its a proper pain with a manual pump , how much ? 

It is free - I have a number of things to hand out to a few people that I have made notes of bits and bobs like light fittings off Trixie. Thing is the pump is not with the boat but I will see about getting it somewhere suitable to collect and let you know via PM.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

It is free - I have a number of things to hand out to a few people that I have made notes of bits and bobs like light fittings off Trixie. Thing is the pump is not with the boat but I will see about getting it somewhere suitable to collect and let you know via PM.

Many thanks Robin , no rush I know your rather busy at the moment picking up Trixie n forum meet etc :default_beerchug: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robin after Shaun has worked his magic on the rib, I am happy to go with him to do an essential river test on her and report back?

Obviously to make sure there are no oil leaks, cooling is working and she ticks over nicely. Oh, and for the sheer hell of the blast!!!! :default_icon_e_biggrin:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • NBN Mobile App

    Our new mobile app is available now on Android and iOS!

    Get it on Google Play

×

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.