Lightning Strikes Again

Our week and a half started at 04.30 when the alarm went off, and we lay in bed listening to the radio for a few minutes to come round.
 Soon we`re up and around with breakfast had, and the last few bits packed in the car, as i packed the vast majority the night before, and were away at 06.10. I fuelled up the Pug the night before, so it was a minutes drive to the A31, and we`re away.  We always get away this early, as our journey takes us along the A31 to the M27, and up the M3 to the M25, which we like to get round early to avoid the traffic. The journey up was completely trouble free, with rapid progress, and a stop at South Mims for the loo. Back on the road, and it`s not long before we`re going past Stanstead on the M11, and i`m thinking that we`ll be in Norwich before 10am if we were going straight there, but we`d arranged to meet up with John and Mary Jane for lunch in the Hockham Eagle. However, it was`nt long before we reached the junction for Gt Hockham, and was about 09.15ish, so we decided to visit the St Georges Distilliary. We got to the Distilliary at about 09.30, and it does`nt open til 10, so we had a walk around the riverside walk, and sat in the sun for 10 minutes til it opened. We did the guided tour, and was really impressed with their operation, and would recommend this place to anyone en-route to the Broads.  After the tour, bottles of whisky bought, and a few other bits and pieces, we left and headed Gt Hockham and John and Mary Jane. We had a really nice time with our hosts, and a really nice, if filling lunch, due to yours truly over ordering on the cheesy chips.  Around 2-2.30 ish, it was time for us to head to Brundall, and pick up Lightning. En-route, we usually stop at the local Budgeons (i think it is?) and get provisions for a couple of days. Finally, it`s down to Brooms, where Lightning is waiting all ***** and span, but not untill after i call into Brian Wards, to pick up a rail mounted mini mast for the NBN burgee.  By this time, i started to feel a little strange, and kept getting out of breath, and my heart thumping away, and had to sit down for a while. However, i had to unpack, and get things stowed, and the car parked further up the yard. With the car unpacked and parked, we got everything stowed, and the bags back in the car, and made the bed. By now, i was really strugglleing, and to be honest i did wonder if there was anything wrong, so feeling pretty rough, we decided to stay the night in the yard. I did`nt want to worry Karen, but she`s not easy to fool, and was a little concerned herself.  I spent the evening watching tv and falling asleep, and had an early night, thank god we made the bed when we did. Good night all.

• Like 5

Day 2 Sunday, sees us awake and the kettle on, with me getting tea in bed. I`m still feeling a bit strange, but the nights rest seemed to ease things. Soon we`re up and about, and having breakfast, and checking a few things out, and making sure where things are. One of the things you have to get used to on a syndicate boat is the fact whenever you take her over, people always put things away in different places.  After breakfast, we go up and have a shower in the bertholders showers. We walked up in the glorious sunshine, but when i finished, i came out to torential rain, but ti was a short shower (excuse the pun?), and the sun was soon back out.  We returned to Lightning, filled up the water tank, and got underway. We had a leisurely cruise down the Yare, passing several boats, and Karen remarked how busy the river was. It may not have that busy, just that we probably got used to the empty river when we were aboard last November. By this time i feeling considerably better with lots of fresh air in my lungs. Also, we had`nt decided exactly where to head for, but it was either going to be Reedham, or Loddon.  The cruise down the Yare was going well, then, we came across an armada of yachts and dinghys all over the river, it must have been a local club race or something, but to get through, Lightning was going from side to side, fast forward to full stop, and more. Soon we were through them all, and we neared the junction of the Chet. We decide to make our fist call to Loddon, and had a really peacefaul cruise, passing quite a few anglers on the north bank where the track comes down to the waters edge. Not long after, we reach Loddon passing Pyes mill moorings, and see all the usual wrecks that never move. Maybe the local authority should do something about these, as it can be a bit intimidating for some. We notice there are many boats moored, all with large gaps between them. If everybody was to close up and leave MORE space, moorings would`nt be a problem. With Pyes mill almost full, Karen starts to worry whether we`ll get in at the basin, but on arrival, she need`nt have, as there`s plenty of space, and finally pull up alongside a nice Broom 32 seagoes called Jacaranda.  The owner helps Karen with the ropes, while i set the mudweight, and we get chatting. Eventually, we get talking about their boating history, as well as ours, and find out some really interesting things about them. One thing we learned, was that one of their previous boats was a Broom 30 called "Wiswcrack", and was originally owned by none other that "Ernie Wise".  After a short while, we part company, and go in to see Caroline in Rosie Leas. As usual, we`re greated with hugs and kisses, and have a cuppa, and again she tells her local regulars that we`re "her Dorset regulars".  After Carolines, we go to the co op to get a few odds and ends that we forgot the day befor, and head back to Lightning, and decide that dinner will be in the Raj that night. This time, we order much less than normal, and are extremely glad we did, as all that we brought home was half a peshwari nan, which we would have for lunch the following day.  When we return to Lightning, we see our seagoing neaighbours, and get chatting again. By now, we`re taalking about eachothers boats, and give them a guided tour of Lightning, to which they`re pleasantly impressed with the space and facilities. I return, they give us a tour of Jacaranda, and i`m impressed with the visibilty afforded by the high top, but not impressed enough to change Lightning for one.  Soon we`re back on Lightning, and watching a dvd, as the tv reception kept breaking up. After the film, we decided it was time for bed,  By now, i was feeling so much better than the day before, and started to stop worrying what might be the cause, and we have a good nights sleep, which would be just what the doctor ordered.

Good night all.

• Like 7

Hello Neil,

We have passed Lightening & Thunder a few times during the last few days. Tan drew my attention that you were waving from your mooring we we went passed the other day, I was looking down doing some work, so apologize for not seeing you.

I hope you are OK, if in doubt you should get yourself checked out. There is a list of medical facilities in our information pages.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 1

Day 3, Monday, and i wake up after a better nights sleep, and feel a lot better.  We are hooked up to some free electricity (again), so we have showers onboard, and Karen can use her 240v hair dryer and straighteners. We`re up reasonbly early, as we are Rosie Leas bound for breakfast, but eat light, as i`m in need of losing my increasing waist, and have a really nice omlette. We get talking to a guy about Seething airfield, and learn that it`s the first sunday in July the following weekend, so the Control Tower Museum will be open as usual, and that the local model flying club will be holding an event there, so if we`re still on our own by the weekend, we decide to go there by car, but plans might change depending on whether my brother Trevor, and his partner Maria can join us later in the week. With breakfast finished, we go to the local butchers, as last November, we had a couple of beautiful gammons from him, so wanted the same this week.  Butchers done, one last thing in the co op, and back to the boat, where we again have a chat with our new found friends and neighbours, followed by the usual tidy up, engine checks, disconnect the sparks, and get underway.  We realise while going down the Chet that we`re on a rising tide, and it`s already been coming in for some time. We have a really peaceful cruyise down the Chet, and finally reach the Yare, and we`re pushing an already high tide, which makes me wonder about getting under the bridges at Gt Yarmouth.  We enjoy a peaceful cruise down the Yare, and reach the fringes of Breydon water. Over in the distance is the Spirit of Breydon, moored on the North bank jetty, but as we exit the Yare, i notice the gauge which tells me  there`s only 6` 10" under the bridges. Lightning displays an air height on her dash of 6¬9", but in know that`s being cautious, and decide it`s best to either run around Breydon for an hour or so, or turn back and moor at Burgh Castle. Then, i notice S.O.B moves off and heads our way. I decided to play a little game, and guess what they`d do, and i was right, they came down past us, and turned around and came alongside, and advised that the tide still had another one and a half, to two hours to go, which would mean a high tide at 15,45. So the decision was made, it was Burgh Castle, so we headed back, and moored what was originally going to be for the night. As we got there, there was yet another scruffy looking boat moored permanently on the 24 hour moorings, and Karen found it a bit intimidating, despiute my attempted reassurance that all will be ok.  We have a wander around outside the fence of the marina, and reminice of times when i was 12, back in June 1970 aboard a brand new Aston Orion, and how we went swimming in the marina off the slipway. We have a chat with a guy who`s been working on his boat, who was talking of the history of the place, and soon we go back to Lightning.  By this time, Karen ha not change her concerns about who the occupant of the scruffy boat might be, so i suggest we wait till after high tide, take the first of the ebbn down to Gt Yarmouth, and moor overnight at the yachtstation, something i have`nt done for many years, and imediately she brightens up and agrees. I phoned the harbourmaster who adises we phone back about 17.00, so in the meantime i make an early start on preparing dinner, my version of spagbol.  Quarter to five, and i phone the harboumaster back, and get the green light to go imediately, i asked him if they would be able to reserve a mooring by the sparks post, and would they mind us turning up late, imagine my surprise when we get the post, and he says they will be there till 8pm, BRILLIANT. We set off from Burgh castle at 5pm, and enjoy a peaceful and unhurried cruise across Breydo, as we had the tide with us. It was a gloriously sunny evening, as we round the yellow post, and then up the revs against the tide, untill we see the harbourmaster beckon us to a particular mooring which we take. We get tied up, and connect up the sparks, and have a chat and give thanks to the two harbourmasters, they really are a godsend. Karen now feels so much happier, and i finish dinnerSeeing as we`re hooked up on the 240, we watch the boats tv, and i swithched the channell just in time to see England 1-0 down to Iceland, and think of the family on the boa ahead festooned in England flags. What a disgraceful  performance, but one i was actually expecting for some strange reason. We deciced to watch a DVD and put on the new Dads Army film. i`ve always been a Dads Army fan, and was really expecting the worst, as often, modern remakes of a classic are often complete rubbish, but not this time, the film was a pleasant surprise, so i`d recommend you watch it.  By now it`s nearing 10 oclock, and as always, the fresh Norfolk air has made us both tired, and we`re yawning our way off to bed. At least by now i`m feeling so much better, but with all this country air, i`m starting to suffer the dreaded hayfever. At least we always carry some tablets around with us, and i`ve already taken one, but you need to build them up in your system, it`s plenty of tissues under the pillow tonight. 

Good night all.

• Like 6

Enjoying reading your tale. We took a couple of DVDs with us again this year and as is so often the case, we brought them home again unwatched. One of them was the new Dad's Army film so glad to hear you would recommend it. :)

I'm enjoying your tale Neil, thanks for writing. I've never been on a boat with electric hook up but you're selling the advantages. I was brought up in your part of the world, being born in Poole. My memories of Broads trips as a child include a journey to get there over a similar route.

I suspect the scruffy boat at Burgh Castle is the same one that has been there for a few weeks. We were there a couple of weeks ago when the BA wanted to cut the grass and asked everyone to move along the moorings. They had trouble getting the attention of the owner of the boat who was asleep on board (this was early afternoon!) and they clearly know him well and are on first name terms. He maintains that his engine is currently not working so he can't move although the rangers were telling him he had to move on. (Where have I heard that before??)

I may well be at Burgh Castle this week sometime, be interesting to see if he is still there.

He may well be. He told us he was in the process of buying a bigger (working) cruiser, and was reluctant to spend any money on his present one. I agree, you might feel intimidated, not least by the large alsation he has with him, but if you speak to him, he's a really polite, lovely guy. He lost his flat because he rescued the ill-treated alsation, and spent last winter under canvas. The dog, by the way, can't bark due to his injuries, and is frightened of people. He was invited to join the crew of a hire cruiser to share their BBQ, and they all had a great time, even the dog enjoyed it!!! I'm not excusing the overstaying on 24 hour moorings, but there are sometimes extenuating circumstances.

• Like 4

He is a decent guy, we have spoken to him on a number of occasions and I think he gets his 'new' boat at the end of this month. The dog is quite friendly and a sweetie, likes treats if you have any. He is, as Regulo says, quite timid though.

• Like 2

Day 4, Tuesday,  and we wake up to yet more pleasant weather. It`s been pretty good so far, with little rain, but breezy most days so far, and when sitting on the upper helm, it can start to feel a bit chilly when cruising into the breeze constantly.

We have breakfast, and start to get things tidied away, and the plan is to have showers ashore, as we`re right in front of the harbour masters office and shower block, followed by a trip to Asda, and then get going about 11 ish to take the tide up the Bure.  With showers had, and it`s off to Asda, we often stop here as you can get everything at Asda, so it was clothes we really wanted, Karen wanted some shorts, and i wanted some cheap jeans for messing around in and doing the chores in. While there, we take the opportunity to get some more provisions, this time for more than a few days, as we`re expecting my brother Trev and his partner Maria to join us later in the week.  After our return from shopping, it`s kettle on time, and we use the electric one while we`re hook up to the sparks,  while in the mean time, i`m doing the engine checks etc, and disconnect the sparks when the kettle is boiled. By this time of the week, i`m feeling much better, and the twalk to Asda and back with heavy shopping was`nt a problem.  Most of you will know i`m allergic to alcahol, so maybe the guided tour around the Distiliary was`nt such a good idea, as wherever we went, we counld smell the fumes. It`s often said the liquid does`nt harm you, but the vapours or fumes can really get into your system, as you`re breathing it in all the time, and i`m convinced this was what was making me feel very ill.  Next time we`ll do the shop only and leave it at that.

With tea made, we start the engine and get ready to go, and we`re roughly on time, as it`s just after 11, but what do we see coming down the river and heading for Breydon?........ Swallow from Maffett cruisers, and she looks stunning as ever. I even had a desire to be onboard her, as she is such a lovely boat, which always gets admiring glances.  I took some pics of her, then turned around to find one of Hunters fleet sailing down too. This must have been by an experienced crew, as although they were against the tide, they were still closing in on the bridge.  We get ready to leave, and take the chance to say a big thank you to the Harbour Masters for what they did the day before, and for their help in getting moored up, they really are a great and helpful group of people.

Not long before we set off, we saw a Hamton 25 going upriver called "Dungraftin"  flying an NBN burgee, and i wondered if he saw ours on the stern?. At last we`re back underway, and enjoying a peaceful cruise in lovely weather all the way up the Bure, being passed by only one boat, and gradually catching hte Hampton we saw earlier. Afte a while, we were right behind, so i moved out and alongside to speat to her Captain. It`s surprising how noisey it can be when on a boat, as the skipper could`nt make out what i was saying, so i waved and dropped back and followed until we went our seperate ways.  As we reached Thurne mouth, our friendly Hampton went up the Bure, and we were heading for Thurne dyke, as we always call in and see Liz in the gift shop, and this time, she was holding a copy of the latest Chris Crowther book "Dead in the water" for us. We arrive at Thurne dyke, and notice how bad the moorings are on the pub moorings, so we tie up on the farm moorings which are much better maintained. We have a walk around to Ramblers, and liz is there with a big smile and a warm welcome. With gifts bought, and our book safe in hand, it`s back to Lightning, with a plan to go to Womack and moor at Ludham for the night, but that`s a popular spot and we may be out of luck?.  As we approach Womack staithe, as we thought, it was full, but there IS  a God, and he obviously loves Karen, for just as i turn round slowly, a boat pulls out, and luckily, it`s about similar size to Lightning, so with another boat quickly approaching, we slide into place, and get moored for the night.  We went into the shop and had a look around, and i saw some flags hanging on the wall at the back, and start enquiring about one for Lightning. They say that impulse buys are always the most enjoyable, so i do hope all the other syndicate members like Lightnings new flag, which has yet to arrive though.  It`s been a lovely day, with pretty good weather, but as we settle in for the night, it starts to rain, but it does`nt matter, as we`re not going out for dinner tonight, as we`ll be enjoying the Gammons we bought from the butchers at Loddon the day before.  With the rain coming down, i look out, and there`s a guy still sitting on his boat fishing, and he has`nt got a coat on, strange fella, but then he might think it strange people like me watching BSB at Thruxton in the rain?.  Time marches on, and broadland air always makes me tired, so yet again, before 10pm aagain, and we`re yawning our heads off, and even nodding off occaisionally, so it`s off to be. At least today, i have`nt been sneezing so much, so the hayfever tablets are starting to do their job.

Good night all.

• Like 5

We moored down Womack Dyke twice while we were away - it suited us well. But on both days we saw plenty of boats head down to Womack Water all through the afternoon and into the evening, only to see them coming back the other way a while later. It does indeed get very busy down there and is one of those spots where you have to time your arrival just right or happen to strike lucky to get moored.

• Like 1

Day 5, Wednesday,  It`s always a pleasure to wake up and look out of the window over Womack water. It`s one of our favourite moorings, as Ludham is a beautiful little village, and it`s sheltered from the worst of the weather when the wind gets up. We have a leisurely breakfast, and then take a walk into the village. I`m running short on hayfever tablets, as we did`nt have many to start with, so we went into the village store, which thankfully had some. Back to Lightning, and it`s time to get going, as we`re going to Potter Heigham first, as we`re looking for, above all else, a new soap dish, as the one on Lightnings fwd wc is looking shabby, so we decide to go to Lathams and see if they had one the sam, or at least, with the same type of fitting.  There`s no sparks at Ludham, so we had to use the new 12v tv / dvd that i bought the week before. Unfortunately, Lightnings inverter is off board being repaired or replaced, and the original tv is a 240v unit. Happily, the new 12v one works perfectly well, with a good picture. With engine checks done, everything tidied away, and the water tank filled, it`s time to cast off. We have a really peaceful cruise out to the Thurne, and turn up to Potter Heigham.  There`s a steady stream of boats following us up to Potter Heigham, and the sun is shining through broken clouds, but there`s still a breeze blowing, and it`s got that slight chill about it. Very quickly, we reach PotterHeigham, and as we near the moorings before the bridge, where we want to hook up to the sparks, i see the moorings are full, but as i turned Lightning round,  A boat pulls out a few yards from the sparks, yeah, the gods are smilling Karen, as she wants to use her 240v hair straighteners. In fairness though, her 12v straighteners work very well, almost as good as the 240v ones, but the same can`t be said about hairdryers, as the 12v ones keep tripping out the 12v socket.  We get tied up, and connect up, and set off for a wander around Lathams. There`s another reason Karen loves Lathams, it has something to do with large cream cakes, and yes, we did buy 2, but we could`nt find a matching soap dish. We did buy some more stock supplies for Lightning though, as i tend to use a lot of cleaning stuff when we clean her at the end. On our way to Lathams, we stop in the tea shop, and enjoy a coffee. We promise ourselves, next time we`re there, we`ll have something from the lunch menu.  After coffee, it`s over to Lathams tackle shop, where i buy a new landing net, as i lost my original when it got blown overboard somewhere between WRC and Beccles 2 years previous. I could say wher, so could`nt report it, so i hope no one has fouled a propellr on it.  Back on board, and Karen notices the toilet gauge is now on amber, so we decide to go into Herbert Woods for a pumpout. Just as we`re casting off, a kindly gentleman helps us away, and notices our NBN buirgee. I then find out it`s none other than our own "Captain Joshie", but i find this out while in mid stream, and negotiating the entrance to Herbert Woods yard. It`s times like these, you realise Lightning is a big boat.  We get moored up, and the guy quickly does a pumpout. I ask about the sparks posts and if they allow visitors to moor and connect up, and was told yes, and for a mdest £8.00. With pumpout done, we`re off, and decide to head for Dilham. We have a peaceful cruise all the way, and as usual, enjoy the Ant, as it`s our favourite river. By now the wind is getting up, and the clouds are starting to build, and before long it starts to rain, so i climb down and steer form inside. The ouside steering is great, but can get a little chilly, even on a summers day with a fresh breeze. It`s now getting on, and we decide to skip Dilham and head straight for Stalham, as we need to get some tools to do some DIY to Lightning. The new tv is excellent, but the mounting panel on the back of the helm seat needs modifying, so i have to buy some tools to do the job before we leave her to the next owners.  We arrive at Richardsons in the rain, and we make for the reception to ask if they have any sparks we can hook up to for a fee. I notice there`s a couple of Ladies driving away in Richos clothing, and realise we`ve just missed them. I catch a young chap driving by, and pull him over to ask, and he directed me to one of his bosses, and said he would know, and the answer was yes, so it was back to Lightning, and move position round to the other quay, and we notice how smart they are having recently be re-furbished.  We get settled, and connect up, and settle down for a relaxing evening,. There was another boat at the end of the quay, with a guy fishing off the stern, and again was sat out in the rain doing so. It`s now getting late, and again by 10pm, we`re both feeling sleepy.  There`s alway something comforting, even magical about settling down in bed, on a boat, listening to the rain on the cabin top.

Good night all.

• Like 6