Electricity At Moorings

tjg1677

Hello all,

this may seem a strange question but I notice some BA moorings now have electric hookups. I am assuming that they are fed by a card.

Where does one get these cards from, I have them for my mooring at ferry marina but suspect they would not work with the BA posts.

thanks in advance

trev.

14 minutes ago, tjg1677 said:

Hello all,

this may seem a strange question but I notice some BA moorings now have electric hookups. I am assuming that they are fed by a card.

Where does one get these cards from, I have them for my mooring at ferry marina but suspect they would not work with the BA posts.

thanks in advance

trev.

Think this should answer your question, Trev....... http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/facilities/electric-boat-charging-points

cheersIain

Hello Trev,

Most of the Marinas do sell the B.A. £1.00 cards as well as the ones that are used on the various marinas, if you do look on the B.A. link they do have a list of other outlets that stock the cards.

I would however only get a few cards because the B.A. are talking about changing the card system in 2017, after saying that the B.A. are very good at replacing cards that do not work, so I assume any old cards they will exchange.

Regards

Alan

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Ditto when Tan & I are aboard Ranworth Breeze. Always willing to share a socket with suitable splitters.

Regards

Alan

"Ouch", that sounds rather painful Alan lol.

Seriously though, i bought some from the stores opposite Loddon Staithe. They sell the £1 ones, which i think are the best ones to buy, as if you buy the £5 ones, you are i danger of spending £5 on electrickery, but in reality, only use 50p, or even less. At WRC (Waveney River Center), the posts only accept the cards bought from their riverside stores, or office / reception, so don`t try to use the usual ones.

Whenever we`re aboard Lightning, we`re more than happy to share a post via a "splitter", so please feel free to ask.

Lightning is a syndicate boat, but when WE are aboard, we always fly the NBN burgee from the grab rail above the aft access door, so if that`s what you see, please come and say hello.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thought I would post here and not start another thread. I asked what is happening with the cards after the end of February, here is the reply.

Good Afternoon,

Existing issued charging cards are printed with the expiry date of 28 February 2017 and will continue to work on the current electric pillars until that date.

As of 28th February, all Broads Authority mooring electric pillars are having essential upgrades until late March 2017. During this period all electric points will have to be removed from each site.  Electric supply will be unavailable during this period for several weeks, however this will be minimised as much as possible. 

After the pillars are upgraded you will need to purchase and use new style meter cards to obtain electricity. New style meter cards will be available from mid to late March 2017 via normal suppliers once work on the electric pillars has been completed and fully tested.  For card supplies information http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/facilities/electric-boat-charging-points

or call the Broads Authority Tolls Office direct on 01603 756080.

Site works enquiries: Broads Authority Maintenance Supervisor 07795107235.

I hope this helps

Best Wishes

Maxine Willoughby

Broads Control

• Like 1

Hi I have just spoken with the Toll Office regarding the old cards and the implementation of the post replacements.

The indication is that old cards can be sent into the Broads Authority for replacement (not only the ones with the February date on them but the earlier ones as well, as long as they are not used).

Notification of the schedule of the post conversion and what can be done with the old cards will be posted on the Broads Authority website in due course (more than likely in early March).

Regards

Alan

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a further reply, someone asked if the electric posts would be available for their visit in February, they inquired regarding the Ranworth Staithe.

Old cards can be returned to Yare House for exchange and the work at Ranworth isn't on the electric meters yet.

AS we plan to be at Ranworth soon I thought I better check and whilst I was doing so asked about the cards. Here is the reply......

"Dear Dave

Thank you for your further email.

I have checked with the Installation Team supervisor who advises that the work at Ranworth is to repair moorings and 3 of the pillars remain working and accessible to the public until February 28th.

The meter replacement does not start until 28th February.

Some sites will continue to have electricity after this date for a short period of time but this cannot be guaranteed due to the electricians work programme, so boaters should prepare to not be able to use sites from 28th February until mid to late march.

Unused cards can be returned to the Tolls Office at Yare House and will be exchanged for the equivalent new card.

Information and updates will continue to be available on our website.

I hope this information proves helpful.

Regards
Theresa"

42 minutes ago, A.J.B. said:

Vanessan

the yacht stations and TIC's don't open until April, but you will be able to swop old cards when they do. If you require the new cards before April, Yare house or the Rangers should be able to help you. 

Thank you AJB, that's good to know. I'm sure others will be pleased to get that confirmation too. cheersbar

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

With regard to Hardley Mill I have received a reply from Richard at the Mill.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  We are looking into this with the Broads Authority to see what we need to do to upgrade our card readers.  We hope to be able to remain part of the same network.

Best regards
Richard

Update on Hardley Mill

Just to let you know that BA have confirmed that they will be making the changes to our hook up pillars sometime this month.  This will mean that we will take the same cards as the rest of the charging point network on the Broads.  Unfortunately it means that your old cards probably won't work.

Does anyone know what the current state of play is with regards to the roll-out of the new electric posts on the 24 hour moorings. I enquired at the Tingdene Marina office last week, they have placed an order for the Broads Authority new £1 electric cards, but have not had an indication of when these will be available.

Regards

Alan

On 17/03/2017 at 9:30 PM, vanessan said:

Yesterday the electric post at Irstead was absent and the concrete all taped off. There was a notice attached but I couldn't read it from the boat.

The notice reads....

Wanted Electricity Post  "Dead or alive " but preferably Alive:naughty:

• Like 5