Tea Room At Salhouse Broad ?

Boaters

The only time I have walked up that narrow path from the Broad was to help our Syndicate manager at the time to carry a battery down to the boat. This was at a time when the mooring was deep enough for us to stern moor there.

A tidy walk up to the village, bye the time if I walked up there again it would be straight into the pub for a pint and rest:naughty:

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

We drove through Salhouse recently, and didn't notice any tea rooms, when the children ( and us) were younger, we would always walk up to the shop for an ice cream-tradition! Then the ice cream boat would arrive close to the boat, so we would have to have another.......

• Like 5

In other words, even though you knew you could get an ice cream from the ice cream boat you still walked into the village, that's exactly what we have done and will do in the future as I am sure will lots of us. Surely for those people that are able will still take the walk and visit the village and pub (can't recall a café), all part of the holiday for us it is anyway

Grace

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I had no idea that there was a 'Tea room' in Salhouse village.I am aware of the post office/General store there and the Bell Inn, but little else. It strikes me that the existing tea room only has itself to blame if another comes along and makes the grade.

I suppose the fear is that people will moor up and go to the first tea-room that they see, that I can understand. Equally though coaches might bring visitors because it's somewhere they can see and access the broad and those visitors might wander up to the village. Surely a win win for all concerned in the long run? I haven'r been to Salhouse for more years than I can remember, too many grockles, izzerts and trippers for my taste!

• Like 1

The existing tea room is on the corner of Chapel Loke. I noticed it as we drove through a couple of weeks ago. It could be fairly recent and part of the post office enterprise?

The proposed one would certainly mean that trade from the moorings would be diverted. I shouldn't think there is enough constant trade there to sustain business through the off season, whereas in the village, local trade would be all year round, but with a needed seasonal boost.

i can't say the idea of coach trips stopping at Salhouse fills me with enthusiasm...the next requirement could be to 'upgrade' the walk to the broad and much charm would be lost.

We did see a planning application notice stuck to a tree by the car park entrance from the road when we were there last month. Had a read of it and couldn't quite figure out where it meant the tea room was going to be. I think it would be a very welcome addition for holidaymakers moored at Salhouse. That's a long walk up from the Broad and then on to anywhere else with children or elderly people if you just want somewhere to treat yourself to a little something.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Polly said:

The existing tea room is on the corner of Chapel Loke. I noticed it as we drove through a couple of weeks ago. It could be fairly recent and part of the post office enterprise?

The proposed one would certainly mean that trade from the moorings would be diverted. I shouldn't think there is enough constant trade there to sustain business through the off season, whereas in the village, local trade would be all year round, but with a needed seasonal boost.

i can't say the idea of coach trips stopping at Salhouse fills me with enthusiasm...the next requirement could be to 'upgrade' the walk to the broad and much charm would be lost.

Understandable concern but if the business is a success, and whilst the Authority seems hellbent on increasing access and the estate similarly keen to make money, then such 'improvements' maybe inevitable. A kiosk selling ice cream and tacky souvenirs could be next;).

On Friday, the scheme, which the estate says would breathe life into the 19th century building and strengthen the local economy, will come before the Broads Authority’s planning committee, with officers recommending it for approval.

Now thats odd! The Estate closes the Woodbastwick moorings because the BA wouldn't pay the upped price to renew the lease, and now BA are supporting this new venture, My bet is it will get the go ahead and by this time next year the Woodbastwick moorings will re-open, bit of you scratch my back I'll scratch yours maybe????

• Like 2

I spoke about this on another forum before they even closed, I got shot down and was told I was talking rubbish, it was one of those I know the owner type, I hope your right Fred because I'll take great pleasure in going back to that forum and saying I effing told you that months ago,, didn't know the bit about the stern on though, but I did know they tried for it,,

When I first saw this topic I thought that, how are they going to get services to a building by the Broad, eventually realizing that they were talking about a building in the village. Although passing through the village regularly during our visits I do not know where the car park is or where the other cafe is located.   

Regarding the Broad lets face it the mooring fee charged is over the top for no facilities, when we last tried to stern moor there we couldn't  reach the moorings because of insufficient depth and ended up mud weighting on the broad.

Regards

Aaln

• Like 1

Hi Alan ,the car park is on your left about half way between the Crown and Woodfordes brewery .The toilets and (  waste bins ???. ) are at the top of the path to the Broad..I believe the building  proposed is just before the car park .If they succeed. I imagine they will then be after a drinks licence like many of the local cafes ? Not good for local pubs .

I really think this is a local issue and the views of those who live/work there are the only views that have relevance.

Whilst it is easy for us outsiders to moan or applaud the application we should respect the right of the locals to influence development of their environment.

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

When I first saw this topic I thought that, how are they going to get services to a building by the Broad, eventually realizing that they were talking about a building in the village. Although passing through the village regularly during our visits I do not know where the car park is or where the other cafe is located.   

Regarding the Broad lets face it the mooring fee charged is over the top for no facilities, when we last tried to stern moor there we couldn't  reach the moorings because of insufficient depth and ended up mud weighting on the broad.

Regards

Aaln

It's in the Post Office - very good it is too!  https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g4006950-d8129140-Reviews-Prima_Rosa-Salhouse_Norfolk_East_Anglia_England.html#REVIEWS

I will not stop in Salhouse Broad, and haven't done for some time.....

• Like 1