My Day

LizG

On 12/09/2023 at 08:33, Happy said:

Must have been too cheap then?  Warranty not a lot of use now then  :default_coat:

I wasn’t aware of them going into liquidation, (apologies to Grendel) as my ABS module has been working fine ever since they repaired it. 5 years ago.

at the time Porsche wanted about 2-3 thousand pounds, BBA Reman charged me £175.00 and returned it within 3 days. Never too cheep, and I’ve definitely had my money’s worth.

shame, another good company gone it would seem.

• Like 1

I was in your neck of the woods today Grendel. Firstly, yesterday evening I think I spotted the lay-by just at the start of the Thanet Way where you said about the fruit trees, but no sign of fruit. I’ll re-read the original post to check I was in the right location. 

After a debacle concerning accommodation last night and an alternative hurriedly found,  (I arrived to find no key access to the accommodation I’d booked, and an owner unwilling to rectify it, needless to say a complaint has been put in to the booking agency) I spent today in Westgate on Sea with an elderly relative. 

But before visiting her, I went for an interesting walk round Sandwich. I’d have liked a lot more time there, and plan to visit again on my next family duty visit. 

Some photos, not sure what they are all of. The gunboat seems to have had an interesting history. 
E570C324-3CDB-4191-99B5-E3AEE92A9958.thumb.jpeg.eaf14e31c7b029f4bdc7a28785d1f339.jpeg

68740345-C48D-4D78-8718-2FD8573ADE0A.thumb.jpeg.4ebada3a14d9a28965a9aad9f8353bd4.jpeg

82BC6AB5-69E2-46F2-85A5-B830E6769552.thumb.jpeg.9a3bed3da4991f71d69f21b699fb2004.jpeg

54276743-E95F-4939-977F-67CBA78FCC0C.thumb.jpeg.583548aace224669adba6ca54b58495c.jpeg

If it had been open, I’d have certainly been in there spending my cash!

55151B6F-3F28-4028-BA55-EA387720356A.thumb.jpeg.519cd71132f7d2a0c2a59b7765f3d55b.jpeg

262C7948-9403-4B83-B0BB-1538C6C1FDD4.thumb.jpeg.12b16d471d362be3e1a30e0f30109cb2.jpeg

00C8AFC9-12AB-4977-8458-62FFE83CD757.thumb.jpeg.8265f9c71cb6afce2a19846f71ede2e5.jpeg

0C24B7FB-9161-46D3-BD47-678A740F5B59.thumb.jpeg.4bcb4350bbe1360e673435c223f99117.jpeg

and I took this last one to show the massive drop down from the quay heading. This was 2.5 hours after low tide with the incoming tide being extremely fast. The drop made me feel giddy just looking down at it.

8EBBE7BC-3F7C-41C0-A4E4-B49FD1B0181D.thumb.jpeg.a0b9fd3f9befa396cdd5eec2efcab6e4.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

Watch out for overnight closures on the M2 this week.

They were just preparing the cones and signage as I travelled westwards at about 8.15pm yesterday evening. One lane was closed, but not for long. 

I’m off to the boat this morning.  I haven’t felt so excited about that for a long while. It’s been a busy few weeks, with an awful lot of miles put on my car, and I’m ready to have nothing in my head apart from boat stuff. I’m meant be going through Great Yarmouth on Wednesday morning tide, and the forecast is for 45mph winds. I haven’t decided yet whether to modify my plans. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, kpnut said:

They were just preparing the cones and signage as I travelled westwards at about 8.15pm yesterday evening. One lane was closed, but not for long. 

I’m off to the boat this morning.  I haven’t felt so excited about that for a long while. It’s been a busy few weeks, with an awful lot of miles put on my car, and I’m ready to have nothing in my head apart from boat stuff. I’m meant be going through Great Yarmouth on Wednesday morning tide, and the forecast is for 45mph winds. I haven’t decided yet whether to modify my plans. 

South, Kate?  Mind the sea monsters! 😉. We’re heading up on Friday afternoon for a week, which will probably ensure that it’s wet and windy for the duration.  Sorry! 😬. My plan will be to head north on Saturday morning.  We’ll look out for you - our paths may cross somewhere.

Have a good one!

16 minutes ago, kpnut said:

I’m meant be going through Great Yarmouth on Wednesday morning tide, and the forecast is for 45mph winds.

According to windguru (lowestoft) the wind on wednesday morning should be mostly southerly so it won't have a lot of breydon to whip across just hug the red post side of the channel, it might get a bit bumpier for the last bit as it turns more south as the tide will be running the opposite way by then but I wouldn't let it put me off.

Just don't feed the monsters on the way over.

Thanks Mouldy. You enjoy your trip too. 

We have a meet up in Beccles planned for the weekend with my crew’s sister and brother-in-law. Hopefully a trip to Geldeston if the river level allows us under the bridge. And we’re going to try the lido on Friday afternoon! Before that I’d like to try out either Pyes Mill or Rockland Staithe, along with a quick stop at either Berney Arms or Polkeys Mill to show Judith the Halvergate marshes. And then we’re going to Carlton marshes for a wander round and I’d like to moor at north cove too if it’s available - realised I can’t say ‘free’ anymore in case people think I’m implying it might cost money!!!🙁
We’ll be heading back on the Tuesday pm tide I think. Need to be back at Stalham on the Wednesday lunchtime. I’ll keep a eye out once back north. 
I’ll be getting the worst weather week there’s been for a while on the Broads, it always seems to be the same the third week in September, so your arrival might actually herald something better!

Planning our trip has reminded me that going south takes more thought - travelling with tides where possible etc. I’ve only been twice before and there’s still an awful lot I want to see, but I don’t want to go through GY on my own, so have to wait till someone has a long enough trip booked with me to make the most of it. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

According to windguru (lowestoft) the wind on wednesday morning should be mostly southerly so it won't have a lot of breydon to whip across just hug the red post side of the channel, it might get a bit bumpier for the last bit as it turns more south as the tide will be running the opposite way by then but I wouldn't let it put me off.

Just don't feed the monsters on the way over.

Thanks so much Smoggy. 
No feeding the monsters,  unless my crew feels queasy 😂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kpnut said:

Thanks Mouldy. You enjoy your trip too. 

We have a meet up in Beccles planned for the weekend with my crew’s sister and brother-in-law. Hopefully a trip to Geldeston if the river level allows us under the bridge. And we’re going to try the lido on Friday afternoon! Before that I’d like to try out either Pyes Mill or Rockland Staithe, along with a quick stop at either Berney Arms or Polkeys Mill to show Judith the Halvergate marshes. And then we’re going to Carlton marshes for a wander round and I’d like to moor at north cove too if it’s available - realised I can’t say ‘free’ anymore in case people think I’m implying it might cost money!!!🙁
We’ll be heading back on the Tuesday pm tide I think. Need to be back at Stalham on the Wednesday lunchtime. I’ll keep a eye out once back north. 
I’ll be getting the worst weather week there’s been for a while on the Broads, it always seems to be the same the third week in September, so your arrival might actually herald something better!

Planning our trip has reminded me that going south takes more thought - travelling with tides where possible etc. I’ve only been twice before and there’s still an awful lot I want to see, but I don’t want to go through GY on my own, so have to wait till someone has a long enough trip booked with me to make the most of it. 

If you’ve not moored there before, Hardley Mill is a cracking overnight stop.  After the river traffic, which is fairly light anyway, has died down, it’s peaceful and is ideal for a wonderful sunset.  Being a pontoon, there’s no issue with tidal rise and fall either.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, kpnut said:

I was in your neck of the woods today Grendel. Firstly, yesterday evening I think I spotted the lay-by just at the start of the Thanet Way where you said about the fruit trees, but no sign of fruit. I’ll re-read the original post to check I was in the right location. 

I think you may be a few weeks too late for the fruit, its usually quite early in august, the location was here- about half a mile off the end of the thanet way (the roundabout in the picture)

A28 fruit trees.PNG

9 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Didn't think there were any cake options at hardly mill, just a pontoon and a mill.

As gancanny confirms, they serve tea and cake in the little museum there, I don’t think it’s always open. It’s an informative little info museum too. And they are very friendly. 

• Like 2

On 10/09/2023 at 20:12, Mouldy said:

Sounds like there’s a big tap root, straight out of the bottom of the root ball.  I’ve had to deal with quite a few of those!

On 10/09/2023 at 22:02, kpnut said:

Bay is an absolute pain to dig out. As you say, it has a very rock solid root. Those other stumps look rather like fig, they too take some shifting. Good luck. 

On the 13th day I got lucky, having painstakingly sawn through the myriad of roots heading under the fence and opposite side under the veg patch after the final root cut it actually moved as opposed to just vibrating a mm or two. A little rocking and fortunately just one small root under the centre which tore off.

Bye bye bay tree!

74BE06D2-3E79-4FA9-A878-866BDE4A5701.jpeg

98DFEA92-82CA-4776-B4D2-0C7BDF7FF06D.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A hell of a journey

Me n Purdey departed home in Trevor Transit at 2300 Wednesday night. 160 miles and a sub 3 x hour journey time on front of us at this time of night 

Four hours twenty mins and 190 miles later we arrived onboard. I’m over tired and well miffed off. Got lots to do today onboard I’ll be behind when (if) I eventually wake up it’s now 0345 :default_badday:

First road closure A17. Second road closure A47. Third road closure a large fallen tree. And of course on the diversion roads there’s slower moving Hgv’s you can’t get past. You couldn’t make it up  I’ll be under pressure now to get all the items tended to before crew start arriving 

Griff

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Flying home today after a few days training at our test centre, one day is usually hands on trying to break any new features but it was a tad rough this year!

Calm before the storm, the small boat pointing towards the camera is full hybrid, works the same way as a hybrid car.

IMG_1598.thumb.jpeg.a5b8660aa1368712852bad6c98a34e90.jpeg

It was a tad rough, watch the boat behind!

Lunch stop, not often I take photos of toilet doors but this one made me chuckle.

IMG_1607.thumb.jpeg.f15e0506d4ad38ddadfe67144bb09d12.jpegIMG_1601.thumb.jpeg.a65947e16cc8235292e4b17bca161e0a.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

A hell of a journey

First road closure A17. Second road closure A47.

Yes, road works at night are a right pain. When travelling at night, I've started going down the A1 to Cambridge (rather than A17/A47) and then cross on the A14 - longer route but faster roads so not much in it in the end (though I'm heading for Beccles rather than Stalham).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 05/10/2023 at 10:39, Karizma said:

A hell of a journey

I use this to check for roadworks just before a journey.

https://one.network/uk/norfolk

adjust to the area you want and zoom in. I also find google maps will show you the quickest route if you look before you leave even if you know the route well. We saved an hour of our trip back from north wales as the M6 had 3 lanes closed due to a lorry broken down.

Colin:default_drinks:

• Like 2

On 05/10/2023 at 10:39, Karizma said:

Yes, road works at night are a right pain. When travelling at night, I've started going down the A1 to Cambridge (rather than A17/A47) and then cross on the A14 - longer route but faster roads so not much in it in the end (though I'm heading for Beccles rather than Stalham).

today i left brundall at 12 noon,  i used the A11, A14 then onto the A1 north, stopped at grantham services for food and loo and arrived in bishop auckland at 4.30pm,  i very rarely use the kings lynn newark route these days

• Like 1