Sailies-which Way?

johnb

3 hours ago, Paladin said:

as motor craft will usually be going very slowly and it is often the case that they are overtaken, on a tack, by the sailing craft.

That is not an overtaking situation, no matter the letter of your Law, as the motor craft would not be going so slowly if he were not already giving way to the sailing craft tacking.

Hopefully, for the sake of Horning Sailing Club, the vast majority will pass up the river with patience and understanding.

Talking about rights of way merely perpetuates the confusion. In your case, you may be right.

I KNEW I should have kept out of this discussion. . . . .

20 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

That is not an overtaking situation, no matter the letter of your Law, as the motor craft would not be going so slowly if he were not already giving way to the sailing craft tacking.

If you re-read my post you'll see I am referring to a situation in which all the craft are traveling in the same direction on the river. Picture this, Horning on race day, motor craft heading up river, moving slowly, close to their starboard bank. A good breeze blowing down the river, the racing fleet moving well, tacking up the river, overhauling the line of motor boat. THAT is an overtaking situation. Believe me, it often happens.

When going through an area where there's a regatta or race I was always told to hug the right hand bank, go slow, and close my eyes:default_blink:!,   (Lying about the eyes!) That way I just get treated like a part of the bank, muddy, covered in moss and rather dense :default_coat::default_winko:

I've been reading this discussion with interest. Yep, as a non-sailie 'mobo' type I agree with the advice given, i.e proceed cautiously well to the right, wait your chance and when the time comes give it the beans necessary to proceed behind the sailing boat to get ahead before they tack across. 

I have a couple of things to point out.

Firstly, I must have passed several hundred sailing boats over the years but alas, I can't agree with those who've said most either indicate where to pass or say thank you. It's great when they do but it happens very rarely in my experience. 

Secondly, I find it's more straight forward to pass a tacking sailor when they're sailing in the same direction as me, much less so when they're coming towards me. On the latter case I sometimes feel like I have some rapid decision making to do (when cruising in the same direction I can hang back for as long as necessary) and I'm all the more grateful for the occasional signal from the skipper as to when I should pass. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I've been reading this discussion with interest. Yep, as a non-sailie 'mobo' type I agree with the advice given, i.e proceed cautiously well to the right, wait your chance and when the time comes give it the beans necessary to proceed behind the sailing boat to get ahead before they tack across. 

I have a couple of things to point out.

Firstly, I must have passed several hundred sailing boats over the years but alas, I can't agree with those who've said most either indicate where to pass or say thank you. It's great when they do but it happens very rarely in my experience. 

Secondly, I find it's more straight forward to pass a tacking sailor when they're sailing in the same direction as me, much less so when they're coming towards me. On the latter case I sometimes feel like I have some rapid decision making to do (when cruising in the same direction I can hang back for as long as necessary) and I'm all the more grateful for the occasional signal from the skipper as to when I should pass. 

You're not alone :default_icon_wave:

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, quo vadis said:

Hi pops may I bring you back to the title of this thread :default_icon_wave:

Indeed - so why are we ignored ? Sometimes it's 'confusion' over our meaning, but on occasions ( exclusively with privateers in my experience)it's deliberate. Indeed, on one occasion i was loudly shouted at, " NOBODY TELLS ME WHERE TO ******G GO! "

Just what  is the problem that some MoBo helms have with yachts . It would appear from other forums that it's not just a Broads issue !

Maybe it's a great big inferiority complex ? :default_biggrin::default_biggrin:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Indeed - so why are we ignored ? Sometimes it's 'confusion' over our meaning, but on occasions ( exclusively with privateers in my experience)it's deliberate. Indeed, on one occasion i was loudly shouted at, " NOBODY TELLS ME WHERE TO ******G GO! "

Just what  is the problem that some MoBo helms have with yachts . It would appear from other forums that it's not just a Broads issue !

Maybe it's a great big inferiority complex ? :default_biggrin::default_biggrin:

Okay I hear what you're saying the problem is mainly privateers I am a privateer and would certainly do as asked /gestured by a yacht but I have obviously never met you or others like you on the river.

the ones I meet don't seem to know what they are doing and behave in a very ignorant self centred manner they are on occasions abusive I don't mean to offend I am only speaking as I find.

i can assure you when out cruising in the chillier months in the rain and wind etc I get up shower, make breakfast and cruise along in the warm and dry at no point do I suffer an inferiority complex :default_icon_wave:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, quo vadis said:

the ones I meet don't seem to know what they are doing and behave in a very ignorant self centred manner they are on occasions abusive I don't mean to offend I am only speaking as I find.

I would genuinely like to know where you encounter these type of sailors so regularly.  Surely you don't spend all your time on Wroxham Broad ? :default_norty:

• Like 3

Just now, Poppy said:

I would genuinely like to know where you encounter these type of sailors so regularly.  Surely you don't spend all your time on Wroxham Broad ? :default_norty:

Poppy I do have video evidence of a couple of occasions but not in favour of the name and shame game. I know one of the owners posts on here. :4_joy:

Just now, Poppy said:

You beat me to it, Poppy!

In May, on the HSC open day, I had to tow the Corsican through Horning and on to Salhouse. You may have seen Geoffery's film of it, on his cooking vlog? 

As we have just had the bye-laws posted on this thread, this confirms that I had the right to do this, and to claim priority over sailing boats. Wussername asked me at the time, if I had priority and I said yes, but I never try to claim it, as it might cause confusion.In fact with an alongside tow that is correctly lashed on, you have perfect control at all times. It just takes rather longer for it to react to helm alterations.

I had several boats tacking ahead of me and I managed to give way to two of them. The rest simply waved me through with a smile, and went about. So the whole thing went off in a friendly atmosphere of co-operation. This is just what I would have expected from Horning Sailing Club.

You are not likely to get the same thing from the White Boat class on Wroxham Broad this week. Horning, yes!  :default_icon_clap:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It does seem to be more of a North Rivers thing, or at least such conflict is much less prevalent down South. Okay, I have encountered some amazingly stupid or inconsiderate behaviour but very rarely the abuse that I've met up North and more generally from the owners of smaller motor cruisers.

Just now, JennyMorgan said:

It does seem to be more of a North Rivers thing, or at least such conflict is much less prevalent down South. Okay, I have encountered some amazingly stupid or inconsiderate behaviour but very rarely the abuse that I've met up North and more generally from the owners of smaller motor cruisers.

Fridayand Sunday evenings  excepted down South JM - when the Brundall Navy are on passage :default_biggrin:

When I used to sail I tried to make way solely by sail power pitting my wits against wind & tide.

Usually I was out to sail not to get to the next pub or mooring as quickly as possible.

That said in tricky conditions, going against the tide and heading into the wind the next corner could be a real challenge .... particularly if a distant tree was upsetting the wind at a critical time.

Under these conditions I needed to use as much of the river as possible to continue to move forwards instead of backwards with the tide. I tried to always indicate to other mobos which way to pass and on most occassions got a friendly wave and thumbs up.

Sometimes an ocean going, privately owned liner would come by (i'm not jealous, no not at all) and occassionally they would steadfastly assert their position. This didn't result in a dangerous situation but by putting in an early tack I could be swept back with the tide many yards meaning I faced a further half hour of slow progress towards that damned corner.

Now I could have switched on the engine and chugged round the bend in seconds ..... but that would be cheating and where's the fun in that.

• Like 2

Just now, smellyloo said:

When I used to sail I tried to make way solely by sail power pitting my wits against wind & tide.

Usually I was out to sail not to get to the next pub or mooring as quickly as possible.

That said in tricky conditions, going against the tide and heading into the wind the next corner could be a real challenge .... particularly if a distant tree was upsetting the wind at a critical time.

Under these conditions I needed to use as much of the river as possible to continue to move forwards instead of backwards with the tide. I tried to always indicate to other mobos which way to pass and on most occassions got a friendly wave and thumbs up.

Sometimes an ocean going, privately owned liner would come by (i'm not jealous, no not at all) and occassionally they would steadfastly assert their position. This didn't result in a dangerous situation but by putting in an early tack I could be swept back with the tide many yards meaning I faced a further half hour of slow progress towards that damned corner.

Now I could have switched on the engine and chugged round the bend in seconds ..... but that would be cheating and where's the fun in that.

That is a type of condition anyone sailing regularly on the rivers would be familiar with, racing or not. Especially  when you don't have an engine, it's a problem those who use engines all the time or fishermen on the bank don't always appreciate..

• Like 1

Just now, TheQ said:

That is a type of condition anyone sailing regularly on the rivers would be familiar with, racing or not. Especially  when you don't have an engine, it's a problem those who use engines all the time or fishermen on the bank don't always appreciate..

Especially if they have two ( or more ) engines.....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1