Better Behaved Boaters Down South

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

6 hours ago, KingfishersTime said:

To be fair, there are probably more boats in circulation in the South because we don't have to be moored up by 2pm to guarantee a mooring for the night :default_rofl::default_eusa_dance:

Ah, the great North Broads early night mooring myth. Yes, it's a bit true, but only if you want a popular mooring in the summer. It's not true if it's not peak season and even then it's not true if you're flexible about where you moor.

Then of course there's the great south Broads "it's quiet and you can moor anywhere" myth. We'll, it's almost true, but there are notable exceptions. Bramerton, Reedham quay and Loddon Staithe come to mind. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, oceandawn said:

We moved down south. It was that or give up the boat. Th stress of travelling the Ant was getting to be unacceptable.Certainly do not regret it, it seems like a different world. I think maybe that boaters on the southern rivers are just not so stressed. Plenty of moorings , wide rivers, stunning scenery. There are a few idiots but nowhere near as many as on the northern rivers. Don't shout too loud in case everybody migrates.

I couldn't imagine anything less stressful and more enjoyable in life than cruising the Ant, busy or not. I guess life would be boring if we all liked the same things. 

• Like 1

Guest ExMemberKingFisher
3 hours ago, Maxwellian said:

A high proportion of boats in the Souther Broads only move at the weekend and then only for a short journey for G&T's etc. 

Tongue firmly in cheek 

They don't move that often for feat of having the windows shot out. It's like the Wild West down here. Those of a nervous disposition, or those just after the fun of a stag or hen party should really stay North. :default_norty::default_swordpir:

3 hours ago, Maxwellian said:

A high proportion of boats in the Souther Broads only move at the weekend and then only for a short journey for G&T's etc. 

Tongue firmly in cheek 

Many a true word written in jest! Not sure that it's a high proportion though, most of 'em never move.

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, Gracie said:

Right, calling all hirers, including stag and hen parties (especially stag and hen parties) head South, there are no monsters or sailors that eat babies just plenty of moorings, beautiful scenery and loads of pubs to have a pub crawl, give these Southern softies something to moan about :default_norty: :default_party0010:

Grace

Gracie that's quite enough! Behave! Next you'll be telling people, that the South is peaceful, quiet full of decent restaurants , pubs and has much more to offer than the beautiful North! Stop it at once!

CarolE

• Like 2

Mmm, there's an old sociological theory that suggests crime rates are a function of the number of police on duty.  The more police there are in an area, the higher will be the observed crime rate, because if there are no police, no crime will be observed (that's a pretty crude summary of the theory).  The question then arises, how many ranger patrols are there 'oop north' compared to 'darn south'?

• Like 2

Guest ExMemberKingFisher
1 hour ago, Bobdog said:

Mmm, there's an old sociological theory that suggests crime rates are a function of the number of police on duty.  The more police there are in an area, the higher will be the observed crime rate, because if there are no police, no crime will be observed (that's a pretty crude summary of the theory).  The question then arises, how many ranger patrols are there 'oop north' compared to 'darn south'?

The figures were accurately complied from the Navigation Committee reports which show 4 rangers oop north and 4 rangers down sarf. The figures were for the first three months of the current toll year.

9 hours ago, KingfishersTime said:

The figures were accurately complied from the Navigation Committee reports which show 4 rangers oop north and 4 rangers down sarf. The figures were for the first three months of the current toll year.

Really?  Someone's got their figures wrong.  There are two Rangers operating out of Wroxham, and at least three out of Ludham.  There's at least one more out of Irstead, so that's six in the north ... maybe more.  In any event, there are close to 20 Rangers altogether, so the total of eight in those figures must be wrong.

9 hours ago, KingfishersTime said:

I think the figures are for patrol launches - not Rangers. Also the high numbers for the north are probably down to numbers and type of boats. How many dayboats are from Wroxham? Probably more from there than the whole of the south rivers put together. When you add that to Richardsons and the other big fleets on the north there must be more boats around when they start out even if they evenyually get to the south - after they have been educated witha a few verbal warnings!:default_sailing: Make all boats sailies - we are slower except when 3 Rivers is on!!:default_gbxhmm:

Just now, Alone1 said:

I think the figures are for patrol launches - not Rangers.

OK, that makes more sense.  There are two launches at Ludham, one in Wroxham and one in Irstead, so that's four in the north.  But coming back to my original point, how many patrols does each launch make?  How often are they out on the river staffed by rangers?  More patrols would mean more observed offences, and if the northern boats make more patrols ...  However I do like your point that once the boys up north have 'educated' the hirers there's nothing left for those down south to do :default_biggrin:

Guest ExMemberKingFisher
49 minutes ago, Bobdog said:

OK, that makes more sense.  There are two launches at Ludham, one in Wroxham and one in Irstead, so that's four in the north.  But coming back to my original point, how many patrols does each launch make?  How often are they out on the river staffed by rangers?  More patrols would mean more observed offences, and if the northern boats make more patrols ...  However I do like your point that once the boys up north have 'educated' the hirers there's nothing left for those down south to do :default_biggrin:

I should firstly point out that this thread was started with tongue planted very firmly in cheek as a bit of fun. :default_norty:

However since it's been asked how often they are out, the figures are 320 for North and 314 for South for the period April - July. It doesn't make it clear whether that is hours, or days, I'm assuming days. As pointed out above the figures I gave for rangers, was in fact for ranger patrol areas, being as follows,

North: Wroxham, Irstead, Ludham North and Ludham South.

South: Norwich, Hardley, Burgh St Peters and Breydon.

So based on the number of verbal warnings issued per ranger day,

North = 9.17 warning per day, or more than one per hour :default_eusa_naughty:

South = 1.36 warning per day, or just over one per day :default_smiley-angelic002:

Frankly given how much quicker the tide is down South, I'm shocked that the North behave so badly :default_rofl::594c04ff2c94f_default_policesmiley::default_hiding:

One thing I do find interesting, and I don't have the answer for, is the number of Blue Book Special Directions issued. Wroxham 63, Irstead 57, Hardley 9 and Burgh St Peter 170. The others four areas none. Why so many special directions for Burgh St Peter? Yet none for Breydon? I would have thought closing Breydon to hire craft and advising private craft would have counted as special directions? but would they need to record every craft advised, probably not. BSP maybe higher due to power boat racing at Oulton Broad, but again would they record every craft directed? If anyone has the answer I would be genuinely interested.

Just outside WRC is a favourite place to sit on a boat with a speed gun! Then go into the pub to discuss those caught speeding.

Me a cynic?

It is also a place that people do not slow down when they see canoes, kayaks etc in the water.

Last time we were there 4 boats abreast going hell for leather while some day boats were trying to moor, half an hour later a BB launch came past with blue lights flashing.

I hope they got them all.

paul

Guest ExMemberKingFisher
2 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

A "cynic" is just the name an idealist calls a realist.

I see the BA patrols activities to be predominately advising the skippers on various aspects of boating. There are far more novices on the northern waters, so more "advice" will be given out. 

I agree, which means we should look at the Blue Book Warnings which go beyond just advice, :default_norty:

North = 0.32 Blue book warning per day :594c04ff2c94f_default_policesmiley::594c04ff2c94f_default_policesmiley::594c04ff2c94f_default_policesmiley::594c04ff2c94f_default_policesmiley::594c04ff2c94f_default_policesmiley:

South = Hardly worth reporting we're such angels, but for the sake of completeness 0.04 Blue book warning per day. :default_smiley-angelic002::default_smiley-angelic002::default_smiley-angelic002::default_smiley-angelic002::default_smiley-angelic002:

:default_trophy: