Disabilities

Andrewcook

Hi all can the NBN Forum answer this question about people Disabilities for me please . As to this question is all right for a person to be on  a Boat with some small Disabilities as to a fit person on the on the Boat and yet they could still participate what ever they could do despite there Disabilities they may have? Or does this means they must be able body and fit to be on the Boat? that is with out discriminating any one with any Disabilities they may have?

Andrew Cook

Andrew

I can see no reason, why anyone with disabilities cannot go aboard a boat and enjoy the broads. Nancy oldfield trust cater for wheel chairs etc, also I believe another charity on the southern rivers.

As for small disabilities as long as all the crew understand again i can see no problems, many people have disabilities some visual some not so.

Hope that makes sense Andrew

Charlie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Charlie can not see a reason why all kinds of people can and should enjoy the river.i think all it takes is a bit of planning. As Charlie as said there are a number of charities on the broads. For example Nancy Oldfield would  be a good point for information. If you are in Neatishead call in on the way to the village or give them a call.I am sure they would be pleased to help

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dependant on level of disability and the careful selection of a suitable type of boat then there is no reason why not .

we often see fellow boaters who have a disability enjoying the beautiful Broads and all they have to offer (although getting older means  Katie no longer feels up to climbing St Helens tower nowadays )

Common sense should apply in most situations, minor disabilities can be got round a lot of the time and should not rule anybody out of doing anything but the nature of boats and water means you should stick to stuff you are safe doing.

When I changed boats part of my absolute requirements was it must have an electric windlass and self launching anchor roller as I have varying lack of coordination in my left are and very little feeling in it due to ms and anchoring is the most dangerous part of a sea trip.

Hi Andrew, the broads are open for anyone to enjoy and as long as you have one or more people on the boat that are capable to steer and moor, disabilities don't come into it. I know some disabilities of a person need a boat to be kipped out specifically, so as long as you are an able bodied seaman for the broads, no one is exempt.

But when you see a bunch of drunken lads on the broads in charge of a boat, they are disabled in a different sense.

• Like 2

We have taken disabled folk onboard 'B.A' before now, one Lady was particularly disabled but we managed, we had more preparation issues to deal with, special chair, measuring the steps / passageways etc.  Basically it took three able bodied blokes to cater for her needs and make sure she was safe and enjoyed her time afloat.  It was considered a success but it was no picnic for three of us but we knew what we were getting into beforehand.

One of our close friends here at home have a disabled son both physically and mentally.  We are planning to get him afloat for a long weekend, that will take the combined effort by his parents, me and MrsG to achieve success but we all want to have a go at it for the lads sake.  'B.A' is not the ideal boat for someone with physical issues either, I would suggest that Bath Tubs are more suited, but owts possible with pre-planning.  If there is a will there can usually be a way.

My point is I suppose, agreeing with the previous post, as long as there are able bodied crew onboard to deal with berthing and any unforeseen boat handling issues onboard then it shouldn't be a problem.  Oh and of course the able crew onboard need to know beforehand so they are all pulling in the same direction and are volunteers, not press ganged or embarrassed into a situation that they just don't know how to deal with or is out of their comfort zone.

Griff

• Like 6

I don't think it's the disability itself that is the issue, it's making sure that everyone understands the disability and it's implications. To use you Andrew as an example, the only issue would be communicating with you if you were out of touching range and not looking at me. As long as the problem is understood by all crew members then the problem diminishes.

However, if you were a deaf blind quadriplegic, I'd probably not recommend you took up solo dinghy sailing... though having said that, and having watched dinghy sailors on Hickling....  

• Haha 2

Apart from the practical issues there's the emotional ones too, it's important that a disabled crew member be given duties/chores they are capable of doing to make them feel part of the crew and not a burden. I know a disabled boater who said to me once there's nothing worse than people faffing around him thinking he is incapeable of doing anything, its disheartening and can make them feel the burden your actually trying not to make them feel, if that makes sense

Grace

• Like 8

I guess you could call me disabled and I have spent time on BA and other boats including Star Premiere. I have found I cannot single hand just too dangerous. I have found without exception everyone I have come across to have been nothing but helpful and attentive, that includes Admiral Griff who is always attentive when in my company, and indeed at the last forum meet everyone  was there to help me.

Bit of a ramble but I hope I got the point over:default_drinks:

• Like 5

Like Barry, I could be called disabled too and just like Barry have also found everyone to be extremely helpful and supportive of what I want to do. 

I suppose it's a two way bargain. People are more than happy to help as long as I'm open about what I can and cannot do. By that I mean I don't go and try to do something stupid way beyond my physical abilities yet at the same time, I make sure I don't have people doing things for me that I can do myself. Something you will not hear at my house is Ellie is offering to fetch and carry for me when she knows that I'm physically up to doing it myself. Likewise, if I'm out of sorts on a particular day Ellie will override my protestations and make me sit/lay down.

Having been the main carer for my Dad, who would do nothing for himself although capable yet mention a trip to a pub and he'd walk ten miles or let me push him (there is a wheelchair on board RT that Dad used...it's actually my wheelchair), I made two stipulations on my family. First, tell me if I ever get as much as a pain in the bum as he was and secondly if you need to put me in a home...put me in a home! But that's a different matter.

I try to be as open as possible about my illness/disability with everyone. Ask me, and I will tell you. At the same time, I'm just as open about my aspirations and expectations of life. One thing I did get from my Dad was a strong stubborn streak. I don't take well to 'thou shalt not' because I bloody well 'shalt'.

The Broads and boating are for everyone. It's a pastime that lends itself well to those with a disability if you are realistic in what you can and cannot do. 

• Like 7

There shouldn't be ANY restrictions on people with disabilities getting out on the water. Of course, certain adaptions and allowances may have to be made - that goes without saying.

As a volunteer instructor at Nancy Oldfield I have had very many rewarding times sailing with some of the most profoundly affected people. There, it's a proud boast that nobody who wishes to get into a boat has ever been unable to do so ( subject to weather conditions of course - but that's nothing to do with disability).

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Find us on line and on FB.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

This subject comes up from time to time and I always suggest the same thing :

If you have a disability, then inform the boatyard of your needs before you make the booking. They are well used to receiving disabled customers (believe me) so firstly, they will be able to recommend the right type of boat to hire and secondly, they will be aware that they have a disabled customer coming and can do a lot of things to make it easier.

"Disabled" does not just mean you are in a wheelchair. I have had many customers with respiratory problems, which mean they need to use machines during the night and these are sometimes too powerful for the boat's electrics. Look at Richardsons website descriptions - they fore-warn you of this problem. But if you tell the yard first, we can either point you to a boat with powerful electrics or, with a bit of notice, we can wire up one of the cabins so that you can use your machine.

Poppy already knows that I agree with him. The disabled can have a fabulous holiday on the Broads and there is no reason why they shouldn't.

• Like 6

Hi all I did not mention this have  some Disabilities such as being Totally Deaf but can sleep very well on the Boat lol Two I did have Two Strokes that leaves me with a small Weakness in my Right Arm and Leg. I still can take part with the Crew what ever I can do the only thing is getting on and Off  the Boat that I do need a J C B. lol. I do have a Stoma due to Cancer that can be very annoying if it Breaks either in the Day or Night I'm always been very concern on Hygiene where ever I go. I don't want any privileges but just understanding when being out on the Boat or on Dry Land. 

Andrew Cook 

• Like 4