Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

2 hours ago, High6 said:

I guess solo mooring is out of the question, then?

Maybe one day when things have been dealt with and changed. You see  I have another toy that I have not mentioned (and need to learn how to use) which is a remote control for the boat. It allows you to be anywhere on deck and control both engines and both thrusters. It would technically mean I could get the boat to the mooring, pop outside and grab the remote and bring her alongside - and indeed hold her alongside with the thrusters.

The real issue though with Independence is not so much her overall size - it is how high above the quay/bank/pontoon she is - it really slows things down as does the current lines I have. When dry they are just about workable and clearly cost a great deal and are very strong - but when wet they become almost unmanageable as they are so heavy.  It is just another one of those things on the list to reduce to an 18mm diameter for my lines.

I recon with an able crew member who knew what they are doing it would be an easy thing to do with just two people - with three it is a walk in the park but on my own? No, not unless I was simply spinning the boat around and coming back alongside my berth in the Marina where at high tide I can easily step off.  

• Like 7

Hi Robin

Great video as usual.

It looks as though when Shelia is with you she can take over the video control for the blogs :default_biggrin:, also the new mic seems to kill a lot of the wind noise.

Looking forward to the next part which  I assume was a lot more challenging.

These certainly while away a snowy, cold day - more please

All the best

John

4 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

Maybe one day when things have been dealt with and changed. You see  I have another toy that I have not mentioned (and need to learn how to use) which is a remote control for the boat. It allows you to be anywhere on deck and control both engines and both thrusters. It would technically mean I could get the boat to the mooring, pop outside and grab the remote and bring her alongside - and indeed hold her alongside with the thrusters.

The real issue though with Independence is not so much her overall size - it is how high above the quay/bank/pontoon she is - it really slows things down as does the current lines I have. When dry they are just about workable and clearly cost a great deal and are very strong - but when wet they become almost unmanageable as they are so heavy.  It is just another one of those things on the list to reduce to an 18mm diameter for my lines.

I recon with an able crew member who knew what they are doing it would be an easy thing to do with just two people - with three it is a walk in the park but on my own? No, not unless I was simply spinning the boat around and coming back alongside my berth in the Marina where at high tide I can easily step off.  

WOW pukka piece of kit

I really enjoyed the trip Robin, your new mike cuts the wind noise very well. I thought the crew were enjoying themselves and you looked relaxed too. A lovely relief from the Beast from the East. Eagerly awaiting more episodes.

Hi Robin, Our first post on this forum. Love the blogs, they are our favourite program on TV. 'Indy' seems a great choice as all boats are a compromise and the Trader covers a few different uses.

Watching your latest video, one thing that may have caused confusion, with some people saying you were out in too strong a wind at times, is you are reading out the 'apparent wind' speed and not the 'true wind' speed. At sea, only the true wind speed matters as it effects the sea state. If you are going into a 12kt wind at 12kts, your anemometer will read 24kts. In the same way if you are going away from a 12kt wind at 12kts it would read zero. (It is much more complex in reality as you need the true wind direction to calculate the full equation). Also the meter needs to be clear of all structures as any deflection of the wind tends to increase its speed.

Really looking forward to the next installment, your videos are more watchable and enjoyable than anyone else's on YouTube. Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Hi 'Broom Sedan' I agree with what you have said with reference to the wind speed. I got the speed measuring device as part of many things that may not get much use but are handy to have - it was a good demonstration of how the new microphone was able to deal with wind noise though and I have since read up a lot about wind and effects mainly with sailing.

I have to admit if the boat gets through this period of sustained cold weather - with day time temperatures below freezing too - I will be very pleased. I knew things were going to get cold, snow would fall and the like but I must admit I did not expect it to be this bad for this long.

I did take some steps onboard to do what I could to mitigate things such as draining down the water system but the problem is you cannot completely drain every last bit. If I had some non-toxic antifreeze I would have mixed it up and got a large bucket and got the water pump to suck this up and through the system but at least since the system is de-pressurised if there is a spilt connector/pipe when I pressure it up the water pump cycling will give the game away I have an issue somewhere. I doubled up on tube heaters in the engine room - I have a large 350w and a smaller 150w on a smart socket to come on at 5°C and then I have other tube heaters in the cabins to come on at 7°C - though this is more to help combat too much of a damp feel to the cabins. I also topped up the electricity and it has been a case of hoping that will be enough to keep things above freezing point as I did not winterize the engines - so if they have suffered damage on the raw waterside because the tube heaters failed that would be down to me just not being sensible enough.

As to the poor RIB well the engine I know has anti-freeze in it but that will be interesting to see how it faired come the thaw. Despite the cold you know I get the most questions from Shiela about that 'when can we go for a ride in it' I think she would have been happy if I just got one of those and kept it in the wetshed at Stalham lol.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Hi 'Broom Sedan' I agree with what you have said with reference to the wind speed. I got the speed measuring device as part of many things that may not get much use but are handy to have - it was a good demonstration of how the new microphone was able to deal with wind noise though and I have since read up a lot about wind and effects mainly with sailing.

I have to admit if the boat gets through this period of sustained cold weather - with day time temperatures below freezing too - I will be very pleased. I knew things were going to get cold, snow would fall and the like but I must admit I did not expect it to be this bad for this long.

I did take some steps onboard to do what I could to mitigate things such as draining down the water system but the problem is you cannot completely drain every last bit. If I had some non-toxic antifreeze I would have mixed it up and got a large bucket and got the water pump to suck this up and through the system but at least since the system is de-pressurised if there is a spilt connector/pipe when I pressure it up the water pump cycling will give the game away I have an issue somewhere. I doubled up on tube heaters in the engine room - I have a large 350w and a smaller 150w on a smart socket to come on at 5°C and then I have other tube heaters in the cabins to come on at 7°C - though this is more to help combat too much of a damp feel to the cabins. I also topped up the electricity and it has been a case of hoping that will be enough to keep things above freezing point as I did not winterize the engines - so if they have suffered damage on the raw waterside because the tube heaters failed that would be down to me just not being sensible enough.

As to the poor RIB well the engine I know has anti-freeze in it but that will be interesting to see how it faired come the thaw. Despite the cold you know I get the most questions from Shiela about that 'when can we go for a ride in it' I think she would have been happy if I just got one of those and kept it in the wetshed at Stalham lol.

As a test, I left a couple of bottles of water on the flybridge but under the cover. With several tube heaters under the floor and in the engine room to date, the bottles have not frozen. 

1 minute ago, Philosophical said:

As a test, I left a couple of bottles of water on the flybridge but under the cover. With several tube heaters under the floor and in the engine room to date, the bottles have not frozen. 

Welcoming to know.

Although we would never considering living in an environment of say just 3°C - so long as that means water is liquid is all that really matters when we are talking about engine rooms.

As Paul mentioned also I also have the benefit of being able to seal the engine room off so no icy air can get in and take any heat away with it.

20 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Welcoming to know.

Although we would never considering living in an environment of say just 3°C - so long as that means water is liquid is all that really matters when we are talking about engine rooms.

As Paul mentioned also I also have the benefit of being able to seal the engine room off so no icy air can get in and take any heat away with it.

I also sealed the engine room vents, but without a damper I used "bubble wrap"

IMG_0331[1].JPG