Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

And so we reach the final episode of the Delivery to Norfolk series.  This was a challenge to produce because of how things went once we had arrived in Dover. But I learnt a lot about myself during the trip, gained a great deal of confidence and trust in Independence and found what an inspiring group of gentleman and friends helped make it all possible. From Simon in Plymouth who assisted us before we departed and during our sea trials, to Pete, Brian, Howard, Charlie and Doug who put in so much especially the final push to Yarmouth. Thank you!

But it did not end there, it was the help we had from this Forum - knowing wherever we were we had people watching us on AIS, commenting here and over on our Facebook Group to encourage and assist - and even some brave (mad) souls who came out to film our progress and whose footage proved of great value during this video.

But what really caused me to appreciate the 'human side' of this 'words on a screen' place we call the NBN was when I had many offers of help to crew Independence to Brundall. I donated £100.00 to the Forum because all this interest and new members put up the hosting bill a bit, but also to thank the people behind it from Moderators to Techies helping out for nothing other than a mutual passion to have a place like this to share our adventures on.

Of course things never stand still and a new episode covering the work being done by Norfolk Yacht Agency will follow in time but for now enjoy the last of the journey that got such a sturdy and capable boat to the Norfolk Broads.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

I need to catch up, still only half way through part II, the printing Industry having been at a stand still more or less since November has gone mental this last couple of weeks (at least for us, sadly not others as we lose yet another few from the landscape).

Like the name of the rib, my grandmother was always known as Peggy, despite being called Marguerite Ellen, never knew why...

What a journey, couldn't script it, no playwright could pen it, an amazing episode in the life and times of vessel and crew.

Independence is a fine machine and had a worthy and experienced team guiding her all the way.

Robin and crew, I've never met you (hopefully we will see you all at the Spring meet) but it seriously feels that you are all friends, because in the end friends care and worry about each other , for their safety and their achievements, for their honesty and  giving.

I think that from purchase, to delivery home in Brundall, Indy was guided by all of her crew and pushed an inch at a time by all the friends that sailed on her with you.

Good luck and do your own thing when you want to do it.

Selsie

Thanks Robin, a great and very heartfelt blog. I do so admire you and the brilliant crew of Independence, especially Griff.

What a  journey!

Helen

p.s. Love Shiela’s ideas for using the rib...sounds like she’s fallen for some of the really special places in The Broads.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scaniaman said:

Are you putting together a Bow lady volunteers list to replace the new film maker in chief.

Now that is something that I like the sound of 'bow lady volunteer's' (in the plural too) I could have a lady for each rope in some kind of smart working uniform, you know stretchy and comfortable to wear that does not hinder getting on and off the boat so naturally would be figure hugging... :default_blush:

Yeah, on second thoughts I don't think my bow lady would be best pleased with that, mind you knowing her she would get a boat and have the Chippendale's as crew!

• Haha 3

Robin I Nigel along with Peter (Grendel), were the two idiots who braved a force 8, to come down to Dungeness.

Originally we had planned on getting down there around 12:30 to one o clock to get set up ready for your arrival.

We were hopefully going to get video and photo all along the coast and meet you at Ramsgate.

But the best laid plans. I did manage to get the photo's and video you used and glad that it showed the swell you encountered on that hazardous part round the point.

It was great to meet all of you and to join all of you for dinner.

We could all see you were troubled by your day and all said it was your choice, if you did not feel as if you could carry on. Nobody would blame you in the least.

You came through one hell of a three day trip, which anyone for a first trip would have doubted themselves, in those conditions by the end of day one, let alone day three.

From the photo below, you can get some idea of the conditions. that day (that was not the worst one by any means).

indy tribute.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Robin I Nigel along with Peter (Grendel), were the two idiots who braved a force 8, to come down to Dungeness.

I'm glad you did, you got to film similar idiots that were out at sea in the same force 8!

The video / photo's you took give some idea of the conditions, it got worse than that before we initiated Robins plan B and dived into Dover

Griff

Just watched the  blog ,trip part 3,  after 5 minutes thought it best have a ginger biscuit and a bucket nearby. I loved the music that was so apt for the tribute Robin, what a great crew too. I suppose granny age bow ladies are a no no !

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

The video / photo's you took give some idea of the conditions, it got worse than that before we initiated Robins plan B and dived into Dover

As i said we had hoped to get further photos,  but your course took you straight across Hythe bay, by the time it got to Folkestone, the weather had closed in so much there was no visibility. As it was 18:00 by the time you moored at Dover. If you had carried on you might as well not have bothered and carried on through the night to Yarmouth .As Ramsgate would be treacherous at that time of night. And also to late for scran.

• Like 1

despite taking 4 1/2 hours to get home, I had to watch the video, so have just finished watching it.

The things we went through on shore to follow Independences travels up the coast were a trial, that pales into insignificance to the trial endured by the crew on board.

We endured freezing winds, rain - and that was before they arrived at Dungeness, having got the video and pictures we headed up the coast trying to keep the boat in sight, this proved a challenge, we stopped for a while at Sandgate, visibility was not great, we then headed through to Folkestone lees where we had a hail storm, and a glimpse of Independence as she crossed between two rain showers off shore, and then to Capel le ferne- Just past the Battle of Britain Memorial, we stopped there, and were struggling to see anything, it then started snowing, making the road treacherous on the corners. from there we headed to Dover, where we puled in above the western end of the port, from here we could see the navigation lights of a vessel we thought was Independence, this proved correct, and we then wondered if they would be coming in to Dover, as by then it was already dark.

once we saw the lights (and the marine traffic track, turn towards the harbour entrance, it was then a short dash to the marina quay, a quick dash into the harbourmasters office confirmed that it was independence, he then directed us to where she would be berthing for the night. after obtaining photos and video of the arrival, we went down to the pontoons (the harbour master had given us the code through the gates), and were in time to meet Robin and Charlie headed for the harbourmasters office.

Then onboard where we were given a badly needed cup of coffee (all the Cafes we had planned to stop at had shut hours earlier) and thence to the weatherspoons for dinner with the crew.

for us on shore it was a hard day, we can only imagine what the trip was like for Robin and the crew.

• Like 3

Working away myself I had to sit in the pub and watch the video whilst having tea before going but yet another great production tv quality it’s time someone snapped you up to make some tv show.

One thing was the music during approach to Yarmouth film by Lord Paul great track but all I had in my mind was 

Run for Home run as fast by Lindisfarne, listen to the chorus.

Thanks to all on board for letting us come along and enjoy the trip.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, FairTmiddlin said:

indy tribute.png

Hear hear!

Brilliant video again Robin- gives an amazing sense of the conditions alongside some stunning scenery along by Beachy Head, a view many of us won’t experience from the sea as you did. And a clear demo of what a strong and capable lady Independence really is. 

Was a tad bizarre watching it though- I knew the story before I pressed play, but still I found myself with heart pounding and breath bated for how it ends! And yes, watery eyes yet again when Indy scooted past the walls and into GY :default_blush:

I stand by my comments on my first ever post on the forum on the day of arrival at GY- the decision you took was both brave and good, and the whole journey showed what grit, determination and true friendship you all have. You should be nothing but wholly proud. 

• Like 3

Great and quite moving video, many thanks for sharing on so many levels.

From what you say, it sounds like exhaustion/battle fatigue more than a panic attack, but it's over now and you handled it just right.

Respect to Griff, Howard, Pete, 'Crabfat' and later Doug. That was a tough call and met with skill and determination. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I can only echo what others have already said. Hats off to you Robin for being so honest and to all the crew for completing the journey.  The voyage of Independence certainly had a lot of people gripped over those few days. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind messages and comments on the video - which seems to have come together well - was a tough one to get right and edit and choice of music etc but I think I got it on point in the end.

Also thanks to Nigel and Pete for you contribution which brought the story together - I remember you both onboard, wet, cold and everyone exhausted - I think next time we should try for warm, dry and everyone perky and I guess there has to be some Gin consumed at some point on a boat like that lol.

Right back to the mundane now  the next video will be about what works have been done on the boat by Norfolk Yacht Agency and those still to be done - I can look forward to the Spring and polishing gel coat soon. Oh joy.

• Like 4