Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

what I am not so keen on is when I say I am going to do something and (perhaps I am reading into things too much here) instead of being given an alternative way to consider and think about,  the original idea is too often 'taken apart' to inspect and once inspection has taken place criticised.

Sadly that seems to be the way of most (if not all) forums.
I’m not saying it’s acceptable but you really have two choices in my opinion.
Live with the criticism (maybe just ignore those posts rather than reacting to them) or move over to using a blog rather than anywhere where people can comment.
I do think if you just ignored the posts you don’t like people would get the message and not post. Perhaps later in the evening you’d still get the odd one though
Perhaps I’m guilty of the same thing, you’ve said what you’re going to do (post on a forum) and I’m taking apart your plan! Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seemed to me you (Robin) had some learning re: mooring the boat

This was my second mooring (side on) with her so it was all a bit new and senses were very much on high alert, not to mention having just brought her into a pretty tight, shallow approach so having lots of crew about to help and Charlie to give some instruction was helpful. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

This was my second mooring (side on) with her so it was all a bit new and senses were very much on high alert, not to mention having just brought her into a pretty tight, shallow approach so having lots of crew about to help and Charlie to give some instruction was helpful. 

Exactly !!! can we still borrow Charlie please LOL

Thank you for sharing this update Robin, really good to see what you were all up to  whilst I was glued to marine traffic and this forum, and so lovely to see you bringing her into the marina and mooring up. Got a real sense of the team atmosphere amongst the crew from this update too :default_biggrin:

1 hour ago, High6 said:

I guess solo mooring is out of the question, then?

I was actually wondering about that, I like seeing Robin's solo cruising videos but that can't be possible in Independence. I don't suppose there'll be a shortage of volunteer crew though.

I loved that video, I followed it all on here and watched progress on marine tracker and I'm grateful that Robin shared the experience with us. Jealous? no...no way....not a bit....hell yeah

• Like 1

Robin,

Did not realise you had posted the 2nd episode just last night - i was stuck in a hotel in the frozen north east and thoroughly enjoyed watching that immensely.

Listening to the instructions to aid you whilst mooring reminded me of a lovely hour or so i spent on my friends Fairline 43 in Hartlepool marina last summer.  Having never skippered a twin engine boat before, he gave me a hands on lesson in the basin on how to maneuver the boat using just the starboard & port engines - quite opened my eyes on how responsive the boat was without touching the helm and just on tickover...  

Look forward to seeing more...

1 hour ago, High6 said:

I guess solo mooring is out of the question, then?

With twin engines and 2 powerful thrusters, close quarter manoeuvres are actually easier  than a lot of Broads cruisers, and she does have the side door for quick access to the decks, but in reality solo is not really a good idea in a boat that size

Robin: I enjoyed the second vid, that wake is impressive, I would never get bored of that and you must be pleased with the results from the new camera and mic

3 minutes ago, MorningSwan said:

I think I’d prefer to be up top to moor her, single handed or crewed, ( yes, I appreciate why that’s not practical just now) at least from there you can just about see both ends of her.

Agreed the flybridge is better visibility, but if you are solo its a long way from there to the ropes!