Brundall

Wyndham

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

There was, it was well stocked / presented and well used too.  It was almost compulsory for crews to visit the shop before setting off on the start of their holiday cruise.  There were also visitor moorings right outside the shop too 

Griff

Part of that shop was a well stocked chandlers, on our first journey to the Southern Broads I bought a couple of ball fenders for use on the boat to help protect the hull from the heavy piled moorings that were on the Southern Broads at the time.

Regards 

Alan

6 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I hope to visit both Peachments and Brian Wards this year, but have no idea where to moor

Hello MM,

If you go into the next entrance after Tingdene Marina you may get one of the yards such as Silverline to let you moor for a short time whilst you visit Peachments and Brian Wards who are a short walk up the service lane.

Rgards

Alan

6 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Thanks Alan, though that does raise two questions from me. Firstly, Where is Tingdene marina?and second, From which direction  is it the "next entrance"?

As you head towards Norwich MM there is a great big ruddy Hoseasons sign directing you to a right hand turn from the main river. This meanders through moorings which lead to Silverline Marine and others

heading towards Norwich, Tingdene is Brundall Bay Marina on your right, next Dyke is the one you want, see below pic, line ends at Silverline, preachments is the cross, Brian Wards is at the rail station 5 mins walk

brundall.JPG

I've stopped beside brooms fuel stage before and nipped up to brian wards for some bsp fittings, the guy there was happy enough for me to do it, on a sunday when the marina is quiet I've moored by the travelling crane and nipped to the pub before now too, had to climb a fence though, that pub so much needs a visitor mooring.

This is an interesting topic for me being a Brundall riverside resident. I think for the previously said reasons (lack of moorings, visitor shop, riverside access etc.) that it shouldn't be labelled 'capital of the south'.

I remember the riverside shop and Penny she was always very pleasant. I think in the latter years of the shop the other part concentrated mainly on angling and I think it was maybe her son (Simon?) who ran it and later opened up Brundall Angling Centre on riverside estate, it’s a shame it went bump as it was great for me being an angler.

For me Brundall is just fine as it is with its laid back feel and decent amenities. It doesn’t make the most of the passing boat traffic but in essence it doesn’t need to really as the industry and villagers seem to keep things going well. We regularly frequent the Bistro and Yare plus there’s now an Indian in the village along with a really good Indian (Tamarind) only 5mins away.  Very often we use the rail link into Norwich (fab city) for a mooch (pub crawl really!) so all in all it’s a great place to park the car and not have to use it while we are here.

• Like 3

“For me Brundall is just fine as it is with its laid back feel and decent amenities. It doesn’t make the most of the passing boat traffic but in essence it doesn’t need to really as the industry and villagers seem to keep things going well. We regularly frequent the Bistro and Yare plus there’s now an Indian in the village along with a really good Indian (Tamarind) only 5mins away.  Very often we use the rail link into Norwich (fab city) for a mooch (pub crawl really!) so all in all it’s a great place to park the car and not have to use it while we are here.”

But wouldn’t it be nice for boaters coming from elsewhere to be able to enjoy Brundall’s facilities as well? 

12 minutes ago, vanessan said:

“For me Brundall is just fine as it is with its laid back feel and decent amenities. It doesn’t make the most of the passing boat traffic but in essence it doesn’t need to really as the industry and villagers seem to keep things going well. We regularly frequent the Bistro and Yare plus there’s now an Indian in the village along with a really good Indian (Tamarind) only 5mins away.  Very often we use the rail link into Norwich (fab city) for a mooch (pub crawl really!) so all in all it’s a great place to park the car and not have to use it while we are here.”

But wouldn’t it be nice for boaters coming from elsewhere to be able to enjoy Brundall’s facilities as well? 

They can moor at church fen and use their legs how hard can it be , OK I know the area that I accept but who hasn't get Google maps on their phone though internet isn't great in brundall , all the same , for warned for armed , have a plan B  , n yes the last time I needed something from riverside estate I moored at church fen and walked round .

Where would you put a visitors mooring ?  there's no room really .

5 minutes ago, Maxwellian said:

Richard, will you stop telling people about Church Fen moorings please! One of my favourite moorings. Don’t forget everyone these moorings are particularly nasty over the Bank Holiday Week at the end of May. :P

Don't forget to mention the sea monsters that live there.

19 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

They can moor at church fen and use their legs how hard can it be , OK I know the area that I accept but who hasn't get Google maps on their phone though internet isn't great in brundall , all the same , for warned for armed , have a plan B  , n yes the last time I needed something from riverside estate I moored at church fen and walked round .

Where would you put a visitors mooring ?  there's no room really .

Brundall Church Fen is fine but I’ll bet there are many visitors who have no idea what can be reached from those moorings. I would also bet that folks may be put off tramping through wet, muddy woods to go and do some shopping or get a takeaway. Brundall is like Wroxham and Horning in that there is a lack of visitor moorings and no where to put any new ones. However, that doesn’t stop anybody saying how nice it would be IF there were more moorings. 

In fairness Ricardo, there's no reason you would be aware that whilst using my legs is no problem, using my feet is not so easy. (both being somewhat numb from the diabetes)

This issue is further complicated by my having no idea where Church fen is, and just to cap the deal, My phone doesn't do google maps or the like. It's an old fashioned Nokia !

Now, I do agree that as I have the leisure 40 OS map of the area, that's on the boat all the required info is there to be had, but sadly..... I ain't! :-)

2 hours ago, Simondo said:

For me Brundall is just fine as it is with its laid back feel and decent amenities. It doesn’t make the most of the passing boat traffic but in essence it doesn’t need to really as the industry and villagers seem to keep things going well.

Agreed. The village and the riverside area beyond the railway seem to have a good symbiotic relationship and the balance feels just about right.

We moored at Brundall Church Fen a few years ago and I thought that I would try walking up to Brundall. But I soon turned back as I didn't have a clue where to go. Perhaps some signage would help.

This morning we ended up going to the caravan. On our way to Lowestoft I saw a sign declaring Oulton Broad as the Gateway to the Southern Broads. It is probably a more well known destination to non-boating folk. Although there aren't any holiday hire boats there anymore, there are plenty of facilities, nice walks around the park and pleasure boat trips. 

• Like 1

Coming out of Brundall towards Norwich. Go past Birds Dyke on the left to Bargate Broad. Few hundred yards on the right is a small 24hr mooring called Brundall Fen Moorings. Walk down path from mooring until you get to the railway line. Walk to the right until you get to the level crossing. Following instructions cross with extreme care. Up ypthe track to the road. Church on left at top. Turn right and in to Brundall.

668AE7F6-0E3B-4AD5-95FC-26D91708CB94.png

7371A767-3962-44CD-BF75-FE0478AEDB12.png

• Thanks 2

Surely the destination that ticks most boxes as a place to visit when on the Broads is Beccles, as stated by others Brundall has far too few public moorings, one could say the same about Horning and Wroxham is just as difficult unless you can get under the bridge.

• Like 1