What Did You Forget?

Betty1

When you first got your boat, what did you forget to bring with you? What is a must have item apart from life jackets. A torch, tin opener, binoculars and tea bags are already on the list. And a fishing rod.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

1 hour ago, Lionel said:

what did you forget to bring with you?

The keys several times, 50 miles up the A11 and realise they are still at home!

That's why it's good to have a spare stashed somewhere on the boat accessable from outside.

• Like 1

I forgot to take pj's etc and worse still I forgot everything for the fridge.   No bacon, butter, sausages, milk,  yes the lot.
We will be doing a shopping trip before we get the boat, thanks.

keys that's what I forgot ..........first weekend on our own boat was spent making the door all good again 
it pays to leave a spare set with the yard where you are berthed 

finny 
Good idea, thanks

4 hours ago, Lionel said:

When you first got your boat, what did you forget to bring with you? What is a must have item apart from life jackets. A torch, tin opener, binoculars and tea bags are already on the list. And a fishing rod.

Hello Lionel,

At least you will have a tin opener, the usual things forgotten are wooden spoons, spatula, pots, pans, crockery, glasses. 

Take spare batteries for all torches aboard and for smoke CO2 sensors etc.

It is a good idea to have some of those hanging compartments you can put in the wardrobes if storage space is an issue.

We always take a mattress topper with us whereever we go these days for Tan's bad back.

Print off the tide tables from the Broads Authority website for your visit.

Regards

Alan

When we got our 1st boat we arranged with the brokerage to leave the boat there the 1st night and booked a hotel room nearby.

Took a full inventory then bought everything we thought we needed before heading of in the boat the next day.

paul

7 hours ago, Lionel said:

When you first got your boat, what did you forget to bring with you?

Well, looking at my latest credit card bill, nothing.

Maybe it was a mistake buying a boat with so much space after all.

We went camping once and forgot mugs, had to cut a coke bottle down to share a cup of tea, good times.

• Like 2

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin.

In the late 1970's I'm sat at home in the Isle of Axholme watching the TV while Mum and Uncle Albert had gone to the village pub. At around 10pm the telephone rang and I answered it. It was a very nice lady with a Norfolk accent.
"Is that Gordon?" asked the lady.
"No he's out." I said.
"Oh. I've got your Grandma here and she wants your Dad to come and fetch her now."
So I took down the telephone number and ran down to the local pub and brought my Mum home. She rang the lady with the Norfolk accent to find out where she was.
"Thurne."
"Thorne? Near Doncaster?" asked my Mum.
"No Thurne near Yarmouth." said the woman.

My mum put the phone down and rang my Grandma's home number and the phone was picked up by my Granddad.
"Have you lost something?" asked my Mum.
"What?" bellowed my stone deaf Granddad.
"HAVE YOU LOST SOMETHING?" shouted my Mum down the phone.
"I can't hear you, I'll fetch Dorothy. Dorothy! Dorothy?" my granddad shouted from the other end of the line.
"YOU'VE LEFT HER IN NORFOLK!" yelled Mum.

So Uncle Albert was dragged out of the pub and I went with him to Norfolk to fetch Grandma back.

What happened was...

On their way back from the boat, and getting lost in the dark on the journey home, Granddad claims he pulled into a layby for a Jimmy Riddle. My gran also got out of the van to stretch her legs. Granddad then climbed back into his Marina Van and drove all the way home to Doncaster, leaving Gran on the roadside verge somewhere near Thurne village. Granddad claimed he was looking at the road and as he was deaf he could not hear Gran talking to him and assumed she was in the van. He stuck to that story until the day he died. But as Dad and I left their house in the early hours of the morning after we'd dropped Gran off home...we could hear that Granddad would be needing to buy a new crockery set.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

I once left my clipboard onboard 'B.A' - That clipboard has my whole working life on it and some social stuff too.  I also left an  envelope with a substantial amount of cash in it (Well substantial to the likes of me that is)  I did not discover my error until I was unpacking my gear here at home.  About turn then, had to drive back down to Stalham and home again.  Each round trip is 320 miles and I ended up doing it twice in one day, the second trip was of course overnight into the early hours of the morning, before a normal days toil.  Well chuffed wi mysen I was - Not!

Griff

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, Lionel said:

11 hours ago, Bound2Please said:

Remember its close season until 16th June Lionel.

and there you have it..........

A post about asking about buying your first boat, and the things you would want on it to make things nice and easy, and you have a reply like that......

it is a sorry world we live in....

:default_eusa_naughty:

• Like 1

talking of leaving things on the broads....

Went into the Bell at St O laves for a meal one night, sat at a big round table, Lady the dog got comfy under the table.....

Finished meal had another drink to wash it down, then left...

Back on board I said "Lady's a bit quiet tonight, is she OK"

Mrs DG, looked at me and said "she is sat with you"

I didn't say much apart from " won't be long love, just remembered something"

Off of boat back to the Bell, walked up to the table we were sat at, and said nice and calm to the family sitting there...

"Do you mind if I get my dog"

She was still sat under the table and the family didn't know...

:55c8f94984577_default_AnimatedGifDogs(127):

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Londonlad1985 said:

I've once or twice cycled to the shops locked my bike up outside and then inadvertently walked home... It's the next morning when I wonder why my bike isn't in the shed that I remember. :default_coat:

I think you will find that was a pub not a shop! :default_biggrin:

• Like 1