Fleet Dyke Video From Lord Paul

Broads01

41 minutes ago, diesel falcon said:

Great,

takes me back to four boats mud weighted together....and a fire extinguisher went off!!

nice to see Lord Paul still at it, met him years ago on a photo group meet ,:default_icon_e_biggrin:

I was there when you set the fire extinguisher off :default_icon_wave:

It`s nice to see, but i can`t help thinking that someone somewhere will want to use these drones for immoral purposes.  There`s already people been complaining about them being flown over gardens and filming people sunbathing, children playing etc etc. Don`t get me wrong, i know there are many who use them very responsibly, Lord Paul being one of them, and i would`nt mind one myself, but i would`nt want people complaining about invasions of privacy etc. And when there are people inside a boat with curtains closed, but the roof open, it`s asking for complaints about their privacy.

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing.     Paul really does take good films of the Broads.       He really is considerate too.    If your boat is involved and you are about he always asks if you mind being filmed first.        One question speaking of South Walsham,  can you still get a pump out and water down there.

• Like 1

Speedtriple, I totally agree with you. The problem is that these days technology is advancing at such a pace that the law, etiquette and basic human nature can't keep up with it. Luckily at the moment I understand that these drones are too noisy to be used as remote Peeping Toms, but I'm sure that will change.

Sadly we cannot slow down the rate of these advances and we can't (safely) speed up the process of law making. I believe there are rules in place, they may even be laws, but the problem is one of enforcement.  

I live surrounded by fields. I wonder how one would fair against my 3" chamber 12 loaded with No4s with the full choke fitted.
If you killed it would you have to prove it was worrying your sheep?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

For anyone considering flying a drone on The Broads the BA have published a handy information page on their website. To be honest for the average amateur it probably means there are very little legal opportunities to fly drones on The Broads.
http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news-and-publications/drone-use

So is a drone 100m directly over your head 50m or more away from you?
I’m guessing they mean 50m horizontal separation but it’s not very clear.

13 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

It`s nice to see, but i can`t help thinking that someone somewhere will want to use these drones for immoral purposes.  There`s already people been complaining about them being flown over gardens and filming people sunbathing, children playing etc etc. Don`t get me wrong, i know there are many who use them very responsibly, Lord Paul being one of them, and i would`nt mind one myself, but i would`nt want people complaining about invasions of privacy etc. And when there are people inside a boat with curtains closed, but the roof open, it`s asking for complaints about their privacy.

I known that Lord Paul is  licenced and is on call out for Norfolk Police to help with search with his drone. He is often out doing training manouveres with them.

He has loads of videos on you tube including one of the police training.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

For anyone considering flying a drone on The Broads the BA have published a handy information page on their website. To be honest for the average amateur it probably means there are very little legal opportunities to fly drones on The Broads.

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news-and-publications/drone-use

No mention in the guidelines as to the risk of being shot down, especially when in North Norfolk!

• Like 1

Good video - the drone is obviously fitted with a pretty decent camcorder.

I own a drone (Phantom 3 Std) - it was given to me some time back as a birthday present.  Before I moved out to Germany I used to be a R/C aeromodeller (even built the planes myself) & so was used to the issues of orientation when controlling the drone.

In recent years I've made a video of our club's Summer Camp. Last year I had my drone with me (the airfield was also licensed for use by model aircraft & thus also drones) and was able to include some footage into the video: see from 1:07:

The feedback is that drone footage make the video more interesting.   BTW my right knee appears at 7:19!

15 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

It`s nice to see, but i can`t help thinking that someone somewhere will want to use these drones for immoral purposes.  There`s already people been complaining about them being flown over gardens and filming people sunbathing, children playing etc etc.

At least over here those sort of complaints appeared already years ago.  In fact we used to get complaints years ago from those near our airfield claiming that the gilder pilots were able to see the locals sunning themselves in the nude in their gardens - I can tell you we have our hands full enough piloting without studying minute objects on the ground!

5 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Speedtriple, I totally agree with you. The problem is that these days technology is advancing at such a pace that the law, etiquette and basic human nature can't keep up with it. Luckily at the moment I understand that these drones are too noisy to be used as remote Peeping Toms, but I'm sure that will change.

I'm not so sure it will be easy to make them silent - you need to move a fair volume of air to support the weight & the noise is pretty characteristic.  I don't know what the situation is in the UK but the locals technology Supermarkets (Media Markt, Saturn) sell vast quantities.  I suspect after a few attempts to fly most people rapidly give up.  I cannot say the air is full of them.  What is very likely to happen in a big way is commercial usage of drones (Amazon etc.).

The following video from January this year made by a guy who used to be a well-known aero-modeller when I lived in the UK & now is also a commercial drone operator (with a TYPHOON H drone).  This shows the flooding not far from where I live due to prolongued heavy rainfall.  This is not Broadland - normally there is only a small channel through which a canoe might just pass:

16 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

No mention in the guidelines as to the risk of being shot down, especially when in North Norfolk!

When I lived in the UK for model aircraft that would have been highly illegal so I assume same applies here.

Agreed and what struck me also was the distance the drone was able to travel. He was operating from the moorings near the Broad but was able to cross the Broad in one direction and then in the other direction travel to a point in clear view of the St Benets moorings and the Ant beyond. 

On 14/04/2018 at 07:20, Hylander said:

Thank you for sharing.     Paul really does take good films of the Broads.       He really is considerate too.    If your boat is involved and you are about he always asks if you mind being filmed first.        One question speaking of South Walsham,  can you still get a pump out and water down there.

Yes you can Hylander. Russell’s is open for both and fuel as well. Pumpout was still only £10 last year.

• Thanks 2