Harvey Eastwood 37

floydraser

Here is the start of the canopy project which could turn into a career!

Even more exciting than that, if there could be such a thing, is: Thanks to JanetAnne, I am now in touch with the owner of Seraphina and we are shortly going to meet up. I've already had a long conversation with Gary and I'm really looking forward to meeting him and the boat. How long before three HE Santa Caterinas cruise in formation I wonder?

I've invested in a planer/thicknesser to prepare the well-seasoned hardwood I'll be after soon.

Does anyone know where I could borrow a couple of Acrow props to lift the canopy a tad? I could borrow some here in Leicestershire and bring them over but I wondered if there were any nearer Brundall? I'll just need them for a couple of hours or so for starters, just to assess the work. I've emailed BGM but as yet no reply. The standard height is 6' 1" 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, CMBooth said:

Keep up the good work,  very interesting to see your video and uncovering lots of nasties!  I think that the deck covering you mentioned was made by Dunlop and called 'Trakmark' and was available in different colours.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've just google it. Trakmark is an alternative to wood, not a covering. The stuff on my deck may have done a good job for a few years but now it prevents any breathing and holds the damp in. Still, one day....:default_biggrin:

12 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Trakmark is an alternative to wood, not a covering.

Excuse me, but Trakmark is a deck covering, made as an upgrade to Lino, which was used extensively on Broads decks up until the mid to late 50s. The big advantage of Trakmark is that you can bend it, which you cannot with Lino. So at the deck edge, you can not only lay it under the toe-rails but bend it under the top rubbing strake as well, thus giving much better waterproofing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Excuse me, but Trakmark is a deck covering, made as an upgrade to Lino, which was used extensively on Broads decks up until the mid to late 50s. The big advantage of Trakmark is that you can bend it, which you cannot with Lino. So at the deck edge, you can not only lay it under the toe-rails but bend it under the top rubbing strake as well, thus giving much better waterproofing.

From the website:

"This alternative to wooden decking can be used on a wide range of materials, Including Timber, Metal and Fiberglass. With its Non Slip feature continues even when the deck is wet with sea water."

So it IS a covering as well. I should have said "coating".

6 minutes ago, floydraser said:

From the website:

"This alternative to wooden decking can be used on a wide range of materials, Including Timber, Metal and Fiberglass. With its Non Slip feature continues even when the deck is wet with sea water."

So it IS a covering as well. I should have said "coating".

It certainly is a covering as can be seen on the decks of Royal Tudor. 

C996761D-B7BE-449A-8514-5AD5120F88FA.jpeg

4C9D9D0D-B6E8-4328-8F0A-35F6F8312083.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brundallNavy said:

It certainly is a covering as can be seen on the decks of Royal Tudor. 

I think we may be at cross purposes here; I googled "Trakmark" and got a pvc deck covering originally manufactured by Dunlop, and resembling a teak plank deck. I'm interested in the Royal Tudor covering though?

This is a great thread, but I suppose All threads about boat restorations will be interesting to me, it's a passion I've loved for more years than I'd like to admit. When I'm back to fitness, hopefully next week, I'll set up the laptop and try to find all the vlogs and watch them one after the other. If looking for Trackmark, why not Google "plastic deck coverings", you may find something very similar, or a better alternative. 

Floyd, will you be around on the weekend of the 14th or 21st September?, we'll be in Brundall then, so would like to pop round and have a look?. 

13 hours ago, grendel said:

having helped with Royal Tudor, I can say the covering is nothing like the google search for trakmark comes up now, i believe its not been made for a while, though someone may still have some.

I think I've found the root of the misunderstanding here: Having looked at some old forum postings it seems that Trakmark was indeed a diamond pattern covering made by Dunlop but was discontinued a few years ago. It looks like someone has bought the rights to use the name and the reference to Dunlop to produce a faux teak deck covering.

However, all is not lost I think; how about this stuff? https://www.treadmaster.co.uk/

9 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

This is a great thread, but I suppose All threads about boat restorations will be interesting to me, it's a passion I've loved for more years than I'd like to admit. When I'm back to fitness, hopefully next week, I'll set up the laptop and try to find all the vlogs and watch them one after the other. If looking for Trackmark, why not Google "plastic deck coverings", you may find something very similar, or a better alternative. 

Floyd, will you be around on the weekend of the 14th or 21st September?, we'll be in Brundall then, so would like to pop round and have a look?. 

You would be most welcome to come and have a look around, as would be anyone else with time on their hands. It's very likely I'll be there during one of those weekends but it will depend as always on the weather and that other thing which seems to ruin everything: work. It's not worth viewing when I'm not there unfortunately as it has that blue cover which hides it completely.

I'll let you know nearer the time and I'll PM you with links to the two videos not on public release.

• Like 3

Well here we go with D.O.8.

Here's a little inside info on Youtube: when you first start posting videos you are on the bottom rung of some kind of ladder and as such, you are only allowed to post videos of 15 minutes duration or less. There is a threshold (so many viewings, subscribers or such) whereby you then climb to the next rung and your videos can go on and on. Apparently, I reached this mile stone some time ago. 

I want to reassure any potential viewers that while I was putting together D.O.8 I reached the 15 minute mark and still had loads of material left in the can as it were, so I made the decision to limit myself to videos of around 15 minutes in the future. If you think 30 minutes of me would be boring for you, I have to watch this cr*p over and over several times before you see it! 

Anyway, this content all predates the canopy video, not that it matters.

I'm over again on Friday, armed with a couple of Acrow props......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here's No. 9 then.

Nobody has mentioned the "off delay timer" in the bilge next to the freshwater pump. Since editing this video I have found out that it is supposed to do a similar job to the accumulator and is therefore now redundant. Not that it was doing anything anyway.

This is just about it for the domestics and it's now full steam ahead on the restoration. They'll be more on the canopy soon.

Floyd.

• Like 6

Well I'll be spending this weekend trying to rescue bits of wood and other carpentry but here's something to wave your Union flags about:

The front "wheels" of the canopy are these bearings. After cleaning I could just make out the markings "R&M" for Ransome & Marles. R&M bearings were made in Newark, Notts. They joined with Hoffman Bearings and Pollard Bearings to form RHP which I was pleased to find are highly rated, up there with SKF. NSK of Japan now own RHP but I was fascinated by the "England" stamping so emailed them. This morning I had a nice reply explaining the history and confirming that my new imperial sized bearings were made in Newark.

:1242_flag_gb::1242_flag_gb::1242_flag_gb:

Now, could I be as lucky finding a supplier of good Marine ply near the Broads? I'm thinking there must have been quite a few back in the day. I know of Tim Collin but that's all. Nearer to Brundall would be more convenient.

DSC_1542.JPG

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Here's my latest moving image to compete directly with Strictly...

I hope to get back over next Saturday 28th weather permitting, armed to the teeth with resin, glue and new timber to try and put something back. I seem to have brought quite a lot of the boat back to Leicester in a Hoover bag after recent visits!:default_icon_eek:

Unfortunately I have reluctantly made the decision to abandon all effort to get the canopy sliding again, the next couple of videos should show why. It's just not practical due something in the boat's history which has caused the condition where the canopy just will not fit properly in the forward or "home" position without gaps everywhere. However all is not lost and I am going to alter the front windows to hinge at the top to get the required airflow. Nothing will be done to make it any harder for a future owner to restore the canopy to it's original workings if they wish to invest the required time and money, and if you fail to spot the extra handles and hinges, she'll look original.

Floyd

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

And for my next offering.....

I did make it over on the 28th but I must confess to a bit of "cheating". I stayed at the Travelodge, Acle for Friday night as I travelled after work, arrived at around 21.45, and didn't relish the idea of f*rting around with the cover, water etc. 

So starting nice and fresh Saturday morning I managed to get my newly made diesel tank mountings fibreglassed in, plus some extra to reinforce rotting bulkheads. Progress indeed. Once the diesel tank is secure in it's proper position (remember it dropped a bit during transport from Glasgow?), I can nip round to get the poo tank emptied before changing the pipes. Strange, the lack of volunteers coming forward to help with that one???

I also fitted a new swivelling mixer tap in the heads sink. I now have the "old" one which isn't that old, and a couple of new gold taps going spare, free to a good forum home.

Floyd

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my latest visual communication:

Since giving up on the canopy I'm free to concentrate on the serious business of poo pipes. The one from the tank to the deck outlet I believe to be blocked. I have no previous experience of boaty poo systems and suspect those who do are keeping well clear of me! However I have worked out for myself that I need to replace the blocked pipe, then get the tank emptied (assuming there's something in there as I have no idea) before I can replace the pipe from loo to tank. 

The deck outlet itself is also seized so I've made a special tool to try and get it open. Easy to replace the fitting but the rinse fitting is close by and the water filler not too far away either so I would really have to replace all of them which would be wastefull. 

I'm coming over this weekend because I have to: I forgot to check the electricity credit and it's run out, so no dehumidifier. Main jobs are to fit lights in the saloon, poo pipe/deck fitting and replace a bit more side panelling. Thankfully, the weather looks good....

Need it done for August.

The good news is that the diesel tank is less of a job than it could have been so you never know, it may soon be out on the river!

Cheers, Floyd.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ricko. I would be interested in looking at that covering. I'll pm you next week. Currently aboard, finger typing on the phone!

Regulo. I was going to do just that because it seems the obvious thing to, then I thought about it a bit more: I'm not sure it's blocked but it feels like it and if it is, it could cost me a pump out for nothing. Then when I remove it, it'll be wet. As it is, it's been untouched for at least 2 years and should therefore by dry. I hope! The new pipe will guarantee a good pump out and have a good slope to drain back to the tank. The present one has sagged, hence the suspected blockage.

• Like 1