NBN Spring Gathering

Polly

Happy to do so Mike. I will wait for an emerging consensus but would be happy to produce a quiz. Do you think the members would appreciate audio / music clues as part of the quiz? We could laminate visual clues too if folks would like some variety.

As I said I will wait for an emerging consensus.

M

I try and do the Friday quiz each week. I certainly don’t regard myself as a professional quizzer. Its loads of fun,  and it was great to meet a lot of the other regular quizzers at Salhouse.    The questions can fall your way and other times, havent a clue but I thoroughly enjoy each week. We have a chat about all sorts of stuff before and after the quiz. ( The majority of us dont want to win! )  Id encourage anyone to at least pop by :)

Thank you Mike for running the meet quiz 

• Like 2

Cian and I enjoyed the quiz, albeit that both of us are keen snooker fans so we benefitted from the first round but we struggled afterwards somewhat. It was a nice length - I've been to quizzes before that take about 3 hours and become a bore after a while. I like the idea of multiple choice. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

How about whoever does it doesn’t use the university challenge quiz book

do these look like university challenge questions? this is 2 of the topics from saturday

CHILDRENS LITERATURE

Q1, WHAT IS THE NAME OF WINNIE THE POOH’S DONKEY FRIEND?
Q2, WHO IS THE BEAR IN THE JUNGLE BOOK?
Q3, WHO WERE ALL THE KING’S HORSES AND MEN UNABLE TO PUT TOGETHER AGAIN?
Q4, WHO IS THE DRUID IN THE ASTERIX BOOKS?
Q5, WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE LION IN THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE?
Q6, WHO HAS A DOG CALLED SNOWY AND IS FRIENDS WITH CAPTAIN HADDOCK?

FAMOUS  FILMS

Q1, PLAYS MR BANKS IN MARY POPPINS AND PETER THORNDYKE IN THE LOVE BUG?
Q2,WHO PORTRAYED THE SINGING NUN?
Q3, WHAT WAS HERBIES RACING NUMBER?
Q4, IN SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT, WHAT DID BANDIT CALL HIS FEMALE COMPANION?
Q5, IN THE FILM CONVOY WHAT WAS KRIS KRISTOFFERSON'S C.B HANDLE?
Q6, IN THE ITALIAN JOB, NOEL COWARD PLAYED THE MAIN MAN STILL IN PRISON, WHAT WAS  HIS NAME?  

• Confused 1

I look at the meet quiz as a bit of fun. We didn't do very well as we know nowt about snooker and  films and  next to nowt about at least one of the other topics but for me it is all about being there and the banter.   Whether you get questions you can answer or not is just the luck of the draw.   

• Like 5

This is a tricky one. It is almost inevitable that someone who regularly sets quizzes will develop a style and a level of difficulty, it is equally as near inevitable, that those who regularly compete in quizzes will do well as they seem to learn how to remember trivia. Consequently those people will be at a considerable advantage. Also, there are people who don't particularly enjoy quizzes but join in because it is a group activity.

The objective of any of these group activities is to get people to mingle. Personally, I'm not sure how effective quizzes are in fulfilling that aim. We all know and respect Mike's quiz writing skills and I'm sure everybody hopes that he will not take comments made here as personal criticism, it is the concept of the quiz itself that is under question.

Having said that, it is all too easy to question the value of something, but much harder to come up with an acceptable alternative. What we need now, is suggestions for next year. Ideas for mingle making activities.

If there is to be another quiz next year, I might perhaps suggest that members send Mike between 1 and 5 questions, Mike to assess a points value and select the questions that he sees as being the most fun and entertaining.   Just a thought! 

• Like 2

much as we change quiz master on a friday by allocating the post to the winner, I think a similar system could be arranged for the meets, so that the quiz master has a break and has a chance to compete in someone elses quiz. this will enable the quiz master of the year to set the questions to any level they wish and enable us to ring the changes.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, chameleon said:

do these look like university challenge questions? this is 2 of the topics from saturday

CHILDRENS LITERATURE

Q1, WHAT IS THE NAME OF WINNIE THE POOH’S DONKEY FRIEND?
Q2, WHO IS THE BEAR IN THE JUNGLE BOOK?
Q3, WHO WERE ALL THE KING’S HORSES AND MEN UNABLE TO PUT TOGETHER AGAIN?
Q4, WHO IS THE DRUID IN THE ASTERIX BOOKS?
Q5, WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE LION IN THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE?
Q6, WHO HAS A DOG CALLED SNOWY AND IS FRIENDS WITH CAPTAIN HADDOCK?

FAMOUS  FILMS

Q1, PLAYS MR BANKS IN MARY POPPINS AND PETER THORNDYKE IN THE LOVE BUG?
Q2,WHO PORTRAYED THE SINGING NUN?
Q3, WHAT WAS HERBIES RACING NUMBER?
Q4, IN SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT, WHAT DID BANDIT CALL HIS FEMALE COMPANION?
Q5, IN THE FILM CONVOY WHAT WAS KRIS KRISTOFFERSON'S C.B HANDLE?
Q6, IN THE ITALIAN JOB, NOEL COWARD PLAYED THE MAIN MAN STILL IN PRISON, WHAT WAS  HIS NAME?  

These days Mike very probably.

• Like 1

Can't comment about the meet quiz as sadly I was not there.

I do have a comment to make though reading some of the posts on this thread.

Friday night forum quizes were always a good evenings entertainment for me prior to the present circumstances which make it impossible for me to join in,

However, the point I would like to make is this is all supposed to be a bit of fun.

The Friday night quizes elsewhere started to run into a few problems a number of years ago.  Mainly because some people took them too sreriously and made a great fuss over trivial errors or there were arguments about the scores.

Thankfully things are back on track and a more relaxed attitude is there.

I know from my own experiences that if the QM gives a point to someone else that should have been mine I usually just say nowt as it does not really matter.

The real thing that matters in the Friday quizes is having fun together and a good amount of friendly banter.

The only thing I would like to find a way of doing is stopping the quizes from becoming a googling competition.  I have my ways when I set a quiz and I am sure a few others may have ideas on this one.

I have only attended a couple of meet quizes and in general it was just a lot of fun.

Mike is usually a great QM although its sometime since I took part in one of his quizes.

I am not much good at trivia as I watch very little TV and any pop music much north of 1960 means very little to me

ANyway all I meant to say is just relax join in and have fun

• Like 2

For years I used to set a pub quiz and we regularity has between 60 to 70 people attend ranging from 18 year old students to couples aged in their 70’s , the hardest thing was setting the questions so that they didn’t favour one or other generation .

Mike has done an excellent job at the two Spring meet quizzes I have partaken in and Katie and I have found them most enjoyable.

Perhaps an idea to consider is when the numbers have been confirmed for next years meet , the teams can be arranged prior to the meet (groups of 4 if poss) and each team compose a set of 10 questions (less if too many teams) obviously the setting teams would be unable to answer their own questions during the quiz but all teams would end up answering the same number of questions , that way a wide range and style of questions would be set .

if an attendee would be happy to be question master then the questions could be pm’d to them prior to the meet 

• Like 1

Karen and I used to do quizies regurly with friends. We soon set our team name as "The Midway Runners" because we mostly came around middle for diddle in the standings. We did however win a few, the winners being tasked with writing the next quiz, and I often wrote the sporting questions. I always did a fair mix of very easy, medium, and hard questions to enable everyone to at least get some right. What is annoying is when they say the quizmaster is always right, and you know they are wrong, especially where prize money is concerned.  We once won a quiz because the full answer was 7 names, a point for each, and bonus up to 10 if you got all 7, which I did. Can any of you guess what the question was?. 

6 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Name snow whites dwarfs

Itchy, Weepy, Sweaty, Sleepy, Bloated, Forgetful, Psycho?

Sorry my answers to any quiz get no better :default_smiley-angelic002:

13 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

For regurly, say regularly. 

Thought you'd been on the beers ST, but then I remembered :default_wink: