Car Talk

LondonRascal

29 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

I suspect you'll find the value of existing internal combustion powered cars to increase after 2030......

26 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Me too, it’s all about supply and demand 

Griff

I suspect you will see the price of petrol and diesel fuel rocket due to supply and demand and the treasury!

• Like 1

The idea is to get us all to rush out and spend our savings on electric cars. When the honeymoon is over they'll suddenly "discover" how to make something like hydrogen power viable and off we go again.

Also, by 2030 they'll be millions of us still with petrol/diesel cars and more significantly, one vote each. I mean that to be politically neutral as all parties will be after those votes and they won't want to stitch us up. I hope!

I have vintage car magazines from the 1950's and in the letters pages people are complaing about the money raised from road tax being used for other areas of the economy while the roads were not properly maintained.

Hmm. If that's still the case maybe there's a case for changing the way money is raised.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, floydraser said:

I have vintage car magazines from the 1950's and in the letters pages people are complaing about the money raised from road tax being used for other areas of the economy while the roads were not properly maintained.

Hmm. If that's still the case maybe there's a case for changing the way money is raised.

That has always been a mute point about where the revenue raised goes, I remember the case for replacing Road Tax by increasing the cost of fuel, a sort of Pay As You Go Tax. Being a cabbie at the time I was opposed to the idea of course.

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

My Mother had a FB Victor Estate in the early 60s. After the dog was put down my Father got her a FB Victor VX4-90.

That brings back memories, my dad had 2 VX4-90's in the 70's, the 2nd one i was left in charge of when he went to work abroad. my 1st boating trip was driving it to Inverness for a weeks holiday on the Caledonian Canal with another couple.

• Like 1

I used to have a Vauxhall Ventora saloon FE.  It was my second road going car I owned.  3:3 Ltr straight six, registered OAU 777M - Just how I have right now remembered the registration number is anyones guess!

I bought it in 78, sold it in 81.  Enjoyed owning it, it was some car for an 18 year old when I first bought it.  It got stolen in 81 from Peckham where my digs were (A right dive) whilst I was working at Admiralty Arch in London.  The police found it but it got stolen again before they recovered it to their pound!  I eventually got it back with a partially melted wiring loom, I bought it back of the insurance company and replaced / repaired the loom, took me ages but all part of the then learning curve

Griff

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have at last managed to change the lower wishbones on Trevor Transit.  We did try a few weeks ago now but the bolts were properly seized in and we didn't want to risk damaging the bolts or the captive nuts, thereby rendering the van off t road.  This meant cancelling the change and ordering the bolts.  They duly arrived and I booked mysen and Trevor in at t garage yesterday morning to get them done. 

'My' mechanic is a friendly chap who I have known for years, he knows my car mechanic history so was happy for the job to be done between the two of us, that makes it easier / quicker and cheaper too!

The offside one was the culprit the aft rubber bush starting to show signs of failing, this meant changing the whole arm.  This time those stubborn bolts were going to come out weather they liked it or not.  They had been previously been soaked in releasing agent, this had no effect whatsoever so it was out with the acetylene torch and warm em up.  Both the front and rear bolts needed persuasion, the  ball joint / nut was easy and was reused.  Re-fitting with plenty of copper slip grease.  Once the offfside was changed we changed in nearside for good measure, this was even more stubborn with the captive nut coming loose that was a challenge but we got there.

Jobs a gudden

Griff

BA NBN 935.jpg

BA NBN 936.JPG

BA NBN 937.jpg

BA NBN 938.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Today instead of meandering about on the rivers as I had originally planned,  I have instead 'Farkled' Trevor Transit and given him a facelift.  He now proudly sports polished s/steel grills complete with LED DRL's.

I would have much rather been onboard 'B.A' out on the rivers though

Griff

BA NBN 939.JPG

BA NBN 940.jpg

BTW - MrsG is changing her car, her present Ford Focus is not really grandchild friendly, especially when there is five of them.  So if anyone wants a cheap but reliable runner, £550 and it's yours.  2005, 109'000 miles (Well below average) LX TDCi 90.  Mot'd till Oct 21.  Good tyres, reliable but a/c is currently u/s probably needs re-gassing.  Two owners from new and MrsG has owned it since 2007.  It has got us / family up and back to Jockland many times, Norfolk and back and plenty of other destinations, never let us down either.  We will both be sorry to see it go tbh

Griff