BA Slated.

I believe that what the BA would like to achieve is wrong and threatens any kind of local aut hority involvement,  clearly it needs to be blocked.

HOWEVER , we have a government that is not interested in what the people think or would prefer, so do not be surprised if the BA gets away with its plan. At the end of the day, it is up to us to put in place leaders that support the public point of view. We need to take this as yet another warning.

Don't let the likes of Gove fool us again.

Edited by Heron
Amendment
  • Like 2

I`m not going to turn this thread into a government election manifesto, But my belief is that this country is being run as a democratically elected dictatorship. We have`nt had a government elected to represent the electorate for decades, but nowadays, all we have the opportunity to do is elect a government that we want to tell us what we must do and accept.  

Politicians no longer stand for election to represent US the electorate, they stand for election by the electorate to represent a particular political party or system, not that there`s any difference between them these days.

Something elsei will say is that no matter whether an authority is in the wrong,  any higher authority will flatly refuse to take them to task in front of the general public, they all look  after themselves. In short, Authority will always protect authority.

I don`t trust ANY politician, i think they`re ALL lying thieving crooked scum.

Having put my honest point of view, i doubt i`l contribute to any thread about government politics etc, as i get hot under the collar and say thing some people may not like.

• Like 7

"Norfolk Leaders Group"... A bunch of pompous, self interested, 'we know best' local (tory) councillors and other hangers on. Who, just because they oppose the Broads Authority, have somehow now become worthy of being listened too.

I've got news for you, Westminster couldn't give a toss about 'Norfolk Leaders', unless a rash of Norfolk's Parliamentary Constituencies all of a sudden became marginal seats (not likely to happen), the government aren't remotely interested. The Broads Authority aren't even a 'side show' at the moment, they have far more pressing matters. They'll let Gove continue doing a job he was demoted into, running a government agency that he and they, have little interest in. He's just keeping his nose clean, treading water, hoping he can wheedle himself back into favour, one day...

I have long held the belief that ethical government ended with The First World War.

The last hundred years has seen the whole political system become the preserve of the "Career Politician"  whose priorities are firmly :- self first, party second, with constituents and country a poor third. A solid foundation, provided by experience of real life is rare these days, many entering politics by securing jobs in political research groups directly from university.

One only has to look at the number of key policy changes made in the last ten years to see a total lack of understanding of the real world. The changes to pension legislation, benefit payments and more seriously the EU Referendum will be very damaging to all IMHO.

• Like 4

Chris, I agree but put the date a lot more recent than the First World War. I have maintained for quite a while now that John Major was the first Prime Minister who put being re-elected ahead of policy, in fact being re-elected drove policy. It has been the same with every Prime Minister since, irrespective of party politics. This is illustrated by the current incumbent, who is turning herself inside out trying to appeal to both sides of the Brexit debate!

All the above is of course just my opinion... and therefore as I so often say... Correct! :-)

52 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Chris, I agree but put the date a lot more recent than the First World War. I have maintained for quite a while now that John Major was the first Prime Minister who put being re-elected ahead of policy, in fact being re-elected drove policy. It has been the same with every Prime Minister since, irrespective of party politics. This is illustrated by the current incumbent, who is turning herself inside out trying to appeal to both sides of the Brexit debate!

All the above is of course just my opinion... and therefore as I so often say... Correct! :-)

Absolutely spot on John, 100%. I totally agree about John M and those after him. 

I`ve seen a film clip on facebook recently where Michael Foot was giving a very passionate speech against membership of the then common market come eec, where he was warning his audience about the dangers and undemocratic way of Common market / eec/ eu membership.  Whether an individual agreed with him or not is beside the point, the point being he and those of his time (well, the vast majority of them anyway) were the last of the "conviction politicians".  All we get these days is "career politicians" who would rather tow the party line than stand up for their own beliefs, if they actually have any that is?.

I don`t wish to worry you John, but that`s the second time we`ve agreed with each other in the last few months  :default_norty:.

And so back to the Broads and the BA in particular. Career politicians and public servants are not, in my opinion, serving the Broads well. Whether people give Norfolk's political leaders any credit or not is for them to decide but nevertheless the criticism by those leaders is regrettably 100% sound. From day one the present incumbent at the peak of the pyramid has both set and lead policy, history will support that view. From our position as boaters we have seen attempts to disband the Navigation Committee, continuing attempts by the BA to abandon its duties as the Harbour Authority, attempts to 'cleanse' the Authority membership of navigators, attempts to close Horsey Mere to navigators with threats of massif fines and attempts to absorb tolls income into the general fund. The Broads Forum grew a set and stood up to JP, the result being that the Forum is now dormant. We no longer have qualified Navigation Officers, regretfully they knew more than the man at the top. All according to one man's plan, bugger the non existent electorate, the stakeholders and Broads Lovers, we are NOT listened to, we really don't matter. Well, that has to change, locals and toll payers alike are now clamouring for elections, demanding to be listened to. For Broads sake we need an accountable Broads Authority. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

And so back to the Broads and the BA in particular. Career politicians and public servants are not, in my opinion, serving the Broads well. Whether people give Norfolk's political leaders any credit or not is for them to decide but nevertheless the criticism by those leaders is regrettably 100% sound. From day one the present incumbent at the peak of the pyramid has both set and lead policy, history will support that view. From our position as boaters we have seen attempts to disband the Navigation Committee, continuing attempts by the BA to abandon its duties as the Harbour Authority, attempts to 'cleanse' the Authority membership of navigators, attempts to close Horsey Mere to navigators with threats of massif fines and attempts to absorb tolls income into the general fund. The Broads Forum grew a set and stood up to JP, the result being that the Forum is now dormant. We no longer have qualified Navigation Officers, regretfully they knew more than the man at the top. All according to one man's plan, bugger the non existent electorate, the stakeholders and Broads Lovers, we are NOT listened to, we really don't matter. Well, that has to change, locals and toll payers alike are now clamouring for elections, demanding to be listened to. For Broads sake we need an accountable Broads Authority. 

Absolutely spot on Peter, that`s the problem with ALL Authorities.  They treat things as they`re always in an arguement, where if they actually do what`s right, and which the public ask for,  they treat it as if they`ve lost the arguement, so come up with a load of crap just to get THEIR way so they think they`ve won, irrispective of whether it`s the right thing to do or not.  My own personal opinion is Packman is acting like Hitler, getting rid of all that oppose him, allowing him to ride roughshod over everything anybody says and taking absolute power.  The only way to try and make Government understand, and get them to do what the public want, is by direct action of a sort, that`s why the community charge (otherwise known as "The Poll Tax") was dropped.  

The only way to deal with dictactors is to take them on face to face, making them feel very insecure, and, dare i say it, keep on doing so so they feel it ill advised to remain in that position. Your last point re elections, well, have`nt i been saying that for years?.  Those that should be in the best position to stand for election are those with a long history being heavily involved in the day to day running of the Broads, it`s broads based industries, and its environment, along with local residents, ie, the very people that get affected by "Packmans law".

16 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

My own personal opinion is Packman is acting like Hitler, getting rid of all that oppose him, allowing him to ride roughshod over everything anybody says and taking absolute power.  The only way to try and make Government understand, and get them to do what the public want, is by direct action of a sort, that`s why the community charge (otherwise known as "The Poll Tax") was dropped. 

The Community Charge affected the majority of the country, I doubt that a few hundred (if very lucky) Broads enthusiasts would have that much effect on Government! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, vanessan said:

The Community Charge affected the majority of the country, I doubt that a few hundred (if very lucky) Broads enthusiasts would have that much effect on Government! 

Don`t forget the old expression from little acorns, mighty oaks do grow.  The poll tax dessenters were a very small group at first, but grew because they were successful in making a majority believe things "thier way" very quickly.

The lack of actual democracy is not just confined to the Broads. It is an increasingly abhorrent problem where  the 'boss' sets policy and then expects his/her officers and committees to unwaveringly support his/her dictate.  

Am not convinced that JP ranks alongside 'Adolph'. Other than that Speed's commentary is, in principle, on the money.