Peaceful Saturday Morning

Victoryv

Thought we would escape to Norfolk for a couple of well deserved days rest, and check out the work on our boat. The boat is presently out of the water so alternative accommodation was sought and a deal done at Hotel Wroxham. Lovely well presented room overlooking the river, very peaceful and relaxing, lovely meal in the restaurant, excellent staff, nothing at all to complain about. UNTIL 6.45 am Saturday morning, awoken from a very comfortable sleep (excellent beds ) by what sounds like a diesel engine at considerable revs, quick look over the balcony and a Richardsons boat sat with his engine roaring away right under our window, now I'm comfortable so give him the benefit off the doubt for ten minutes, half an hour later he"s still at it. out of bed, into some clothes, down through reception around the front of the building and rattle on his door (he is sat inside comfortably reading the paper) gives me a very puzzled expression when I ask him what he is doing and then proceeds to tell me his batteries are nearly flat, and the yard have advised him to run them for 3 hours a day. I calmly point out that this is not the way to make friends on holiday and that it is 7.30 in the morning and byelaws are being broken, to which he replies no its not its 7.45, I"ll just keeping running till 8 and then turn it off !

He did, I despair!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Was the chap reading an English paper or was it foreign? If it was English was he just looking at the pictures ?

It seems to me that he either could not understand English or had a hearing problem   OR  was he just an inconsiderate ********!

Surely if he wanted to "race" the engine at that time in the morning he should have found a wild mooring miles from anyone!

Or was it a matter of "I'm on my holiday and will do what I want without a thought for anyone else"........Would he sit in his car outside his house at that time of day revving the engine for half an hour?

Jeff

15 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

I think the boatyards have a role to play here. They are so windy about having to call out to flat batteries that they overkill the need to run the engine, possibly? 

I completely agree. They've been spouting the "4 hours a day" thing for years but it all depends on what drain you're putting on them and what state the batteries are in. Having said that, it's no excuse for this muppet running his engine and waking up everyone in the hotel. 

• Like 1

Wouldn't mind but he thought it was perfectly reasonable to keep it running for another 15 minutes.

In my not quite awake state, I did say to him that it was to early for a Sunday morning, he corrected me and smirked that it was actually a Saturday morning!

Ignoring the potential safety issues, I don't mind people getting things wrong and being a little ignorant to the byelaws and having the impression that batteries require charging by the engine every 2 minutes and such if they are new to the broads, but when someone comes and points out their mistakes like Victoryv has and yet they still dont have the decency to sort themselves out, I have to admit that I would have been pretty annoyed.

The thing that really confuses me though, is that with over 150 miles of beautiful waterways to travel along throughout each day, why would you need to just sit there in the morning listening to the engine thrum away, when all the charging to the batteries could be done taking in the scenery and atmosphere of a broads holiday?

I think Mr Nog could be along the right lines, the boat yards must make inexperienced hirers feel that the batteries are on the brink of drainage the second a light switch is turned on if the engine isn't running.

If he wasn't a newbie, then he is obviously a proper numpty.

If you run your car engine in Norwich now when you are parked up you can get fined., but it’s made out to be ok if on a boat i wonder what the rules are at Norwich yacht station ) . I’m a boat owner but wouldn’t dream of running the engine on a mooring just because we’ve no hot water! 

This needs looking at as after last years incident for us at Bramerton we’re our lovely neighbour in front of us thought it was ok to run his engine all night on a relatively new Broom boat because they were cold ! I asked him to turn it off 3 times  in the middle of the night which he did but kept starting it again.😩 complete pillock  he was too.

Complaint made to Brooms the day after which fell on deaf ears.

John

What Bye Law?    I thought it was an understanding and a request at BA moorings and some other moorings ie Potter Heigham's quiet moorings.       Putting myself in another 'shoes' when you are a stranger to the Broads and your batteries are low  I dont suppose for one moment he thought that people were still asleep at that time.   I personally wake up at 5.30 every morning so would be well awake.   However, saying all that and trying to be devil's advocate in my response above.     The fumes would get right up my nose and would concern me more.:default_stinky:

Like Hylander, I'm usually up and awake when the day starts. A beagle's nose in your earhole is an excellent alarm clock. After taking the boys out for a walk and making a pot of coffee (Norfolk Coffee) the engine starts and we shove off. So although we don't sit under the hotel window we are on the move.

Now if I had been the chap on the boat...I would have kidnapped Victory V in his nightshirt and nightcap, plied him with Norfolk coffee and then got him to look at any bits of the boat that needed varnishing while he was there! :default_norty:

• Haha 3

When moored at Womack Water last Summer we were just getting ready to go to bed when the Richardson boat next door started up their engine. It was getting for 11-00pm. We called out from our saloon window that it shouldn't be happening at that time and he duly turned the engine off. End of situation we thought till they pushed off next morning doing their best to side swipe us with their stern (anticipated fortunately by Tony who using the morning dew to mop down fended them off with his mop) Their language and obscene gestures were a delight.

Carole

About a month ago we had a boat moored on Horning village staith running the engine for 10 to 15 mins every half an hour form about 9pm to well past 11pm. No idea why or what they were trying to do. I just stuck my fingers in my ears and left them too it, but cant say I was happy about it. I just find it rather inconsiderate, the only thing I can think of is it was somthing to do with heating but as it was a private boat maybe they sould take a look a their batteries, (not private boat bashing by the as I was on my own boat).

3 hours ago, Victoryv said:

It was you !

Nah it couldn't have been me.....

On 07/04/2019 at 19:24, Victoryv said:

I did say to him that it was to early for a Sunday morning, he corrected me and smirked that it was actually a Saturday morning!

.....I'd never have been able to correct you as I never know what day it is :default_smiley-angelic002:

6 minutes ago, Victoryv said:

I don't think you're the smirking type!

You'd be correct, I'm also not annoying.

Well, not in the running a boat engine at a mooring type of annoying :default_biggrin: