Heading North

Coryton

To go with the recent "Heading South" thread, does anyone want to share their must-see places on the Northern Broads?

I don't want to plan a rigid itinerary - had a (non boating) holiday like that last year -  but it would be good to know what we shouldn't miss...

15 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

First question. Is that a pic of your boat? 

No!

If only....

But I did spend a week on it on Lough Erne a few years ago - the only time I've hired a cruiser.

For the Broads we're hiring a Herbert Woods "Beam of Light" which I believe is an Aquafibre Diamond 43 which should do most bridges. 

Not Potter though. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

In that case you must not miss above Wroxham Bridge to Coltishall. And above Ludham to Barton Broad and Dilham.

Yes I thought going up to Coltishall might be rather nice.

Herbert Woods say we can't go under Wayford, though the opinion here seems to be that it should actually fit.

Lightning which is an AF43, one of Brooms original hire fleet sister ships to the Beam of Lights, goes under Wayford at 7ft. Without the fold down aerial mount on the top centre of the roof it would fit under at 6ft 10ins.

I managed to moor Lightning at Dilham two years ago between two 40 footers. It would have been a struggle to turn but fortunately the downstream boat left first.

Because of the shape of the arch at Wroxham Lightning needs 6ft 9in. We've turned her at Coltishall lock a few times.

Roy

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, webntweb said:

I managed to moor Lightning at Dilham two years ago between two 40 footers. It would have been a struggle to turn but fortunately the downstream boat left first.

Maybe that's why they tell you the boat won't go under Wayford..

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I'm not seeing a boat photo. 

North Broads? Almost everywhere is lovely and it's hard to pick out single places. I would suggest have a go at mudweighting on a Broad and try a wild mooring on the Ant. 

I think they mean the avatar piccy Simon :default_biggrin:

Agree totally with Simon, anywhere on the Ant. Another must do is a cruise across Barton Broad. Wayford Bridge gets my vote if you can get under, moor on the grass moorings opposite the boat houses. An absolute must is the cruise up to Coltishall, it truly is stunning, added bonus once you get there is a good choice of pubs. I'd love to kayak up there with Jay, never done that before, it will be a nice challenge, it's getting back after a visit to the pubs that worries me (hic) :default_biggrin:

Have a lovely time

Grace

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I'm not seeing a boat photo. 

North Broads? Almost everywhere is lovely and it's hard to pick out single places. I would suggest have a go at mudweighting on a Broad  

Definitely!

The only boating I've done before has been in Ireland where - at least on a hire boat - the anchor is strictly for emergencies only so it's certainly something to try. Not sure about overnight...though it should solve the problem of getting a mooring.

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

try a wild mooring on the Ant. 

Something else we weren't allowed to do in Ireland. Happy to give that a go too if we can - generally planning on cooking on the boat so not fussed about being near a pub in the evening.

14 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Wayford Bridge gets my vote if you can get under, moor on the grass moorings opposite the boat houses.

I think we should be able to get under Wayford, but Herbert Woods say we can't which presumably means they don't want us to. Maybe I should ask them.

15 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Have a lovely time

Grace

If the people we meet are as helpful and friendly as those on here, I'm sure we will.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

An absolute must is the cruise up to Coltishall, it truly is stunning, added bonus once you get there is a good choice of pubs. I'd love to kayak up there with Jay, never done that before, it will be a nice challenge, it's getting back after a visit to the pubs that worries me (hic) :default_biggrin:

We can see where we get to next month darling, I'm sure we can fit it in (oi)

In regards to getting back, I wonder if anyone would believe I was being serious by suggesting we don't visit the pub :default_smiley-angelic002:

1 hour ago, Coryton said:

If the people we meet are as helpful and friendly as those on here, I'm sure we will.

Most people are really friendly and helpful on the broads, and help make it such an enjoyable place to be just as long as you are careful and respectful of others.

For the odd misery guts you may see, they are so in the minority you need not let them bother you

If going north the bits to miss are anything north of yarmouth, it's summer FFS what are you thinking going north?

To keep things fair the southern broads  are also terrible in summer, especially all the moorings near pubs..... :default_biggrin:

If the weather is ok I'll be heading north next week, grimsby, whitby, scarborough,wells, and back, can I swap fuel bills please, pretty please?

We had Bittern the weekend before last. Managed to get to West Somerton. Moored at the free moorings all to ourselves. Had a barn owl early evening giving us quite a show over the fields and then watched a beautiful sunset 😀

In answer to the OP, Coltishall Lock is a very peaceful mooring as is Cockshoot Broad. 

I agree with Gracie re the other side of Wayford Bridge although there is a cost for mooring there. Think it was £8 last time we were there.

To be fair, there aren't many places I don't like but the wild moorings are the best ones overnight for me.

On 07/07/2019 at 00:16, Smoggy said:

If going north the bits to miss are anything north of yarmouth, it's summer FFS what are you thinking going north?

To keep things fair the southern broads  are also terrible in summer, especially all the moorings near pubs..... :default_biggrin:

Well given how the tides play out, if we want to go South and have a decent amount of time there (and we do) we'll have to head there pretty smartly.

If we like it enough, we don't have to head north again until the last day...

• Like 2