Martham Ferry Boats

3 hours ago, marshman said:

Reasonable walk up to the Ferry and back - good job you are all pretty fit!!!

I'm not fit, I have completely knackered right ankle, with hardly any cartilage between the bones, but I can take a break every so often. Once on the boat, i'l be ok, but then I,l have to walk back. I'l probably be doing an evening cruise after in pain.

3 hours ago, brundallNavy said:

The picnic boats are built at Wayford I believe nice but at over £200 per day a tad expensive. 

I looked on their site and it says £120 per day for the Fiesta 20, and £135 for the Ensign 21. I think the new electric one is £200.

Thats about the going rate for the bigger day boats with facilities on board!!   HW charge £240, Ferry £200 , Broads Tours £195, and once again it is the picnic boats that tend to go first - I suppose it helps if you split it!

I am surprised they have an electric boat at the Ferry - I suspect they will not let them go to Somerton because of the weed.

• Like 1

Martham Ferry Boats, there's a name from the past. I remember in the 80's they had two or three holiday cruisers which were eventually bought by Barnes Brinkcraft. Brinks Aries is still on hire. 

It certainly makes a useful day boat location and the more choice the top side of the bridge the better. How long have they been offering these? 

11 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Martham Ferry Boats, there's a name from the past. I remember in the 80's they had two or three holiday cruisers which were eventually bought by Barnes Brinkcraft. Brinks Aries is still on hire. 

It certainly makes a useful day boat location and the more choice the top side of the bridge the better. How long have they been offering these? 

That's why we are looking to hire one for a day run around the upper Thurne network.

• Like 1

Hi Broads 01,

Martham Ferry are an interesting little boatyard which as you say used to have a cruiser hire fleet. I believe they operated 5/6 boats at one stage including 4/5 Horizon 35's Triton and Tranquil Breeze and  a Bounty 27 Elysian now at Barnes plus two houseboats. In the latter years they even operated a unique Alpha 38 called Ferryman which was a shortened version of the Alpha 42 Rapide/Concorde lowliner dual steer boats. I imagine they must have had fun trying to get that through Potter even in the 90's. More recently the King family (ex Ferry Boatyard Horning) bought and developed the yard building holidays homes and a new boat shed on the site which was falling down if I remember correctly.

I don't know when they acquired the yard however It must be atleast 5-10 years ago and a varying day boat fleet has been offered for some time. Most of the current fleet is recently acquired, they did build a number of Ensign 21s and had a couple of ex Pacific day boats at one stage although boats move between the recently acquired Wayford Marina. In the past Jumbo was also offered for hire which was an earlier version of Appollo and some electric day cruisers from HW. Olivers sailing hoildays operate 2 yachts from the yard although I don't know whether Martham Ferry own these as they marketed separately, of course back in the 60-80's the Cresta sailing fleet (12+ yachts?) operated here but thats another story.

Neil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I remember seeing all the Cresta fleet in the Hoseasons brochure. I can still remember the names of some of them. Crestette, Cresta donna, Crestina, Cresta maria, Crestella, Cresta nova, Cresta,  Cresterina, Crestabelle. I can't remember any more, but remember Cresta Nova looked very much like a Sabre 27, and was all GRP. Has anybody got any pics of them?. 

• 1 year later...

On 17/07/2019 at 16:50, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Yeah, I remember seeing all the Cresta fleet in the Hoseasons brochure. I can still remember the names of some of them. Crestette, Cresta donna, Crestina, Cresta maria, Crestella, Cresta nova, Cresta,  Cresterina, Crestabelle. I can't remember any more, but remember Cresta Nova looked very much like a Sabre 27, and was all GRP. Has anybody got any pics of them?. 

2024640396_marthamyachts.thumb.jpeg.31157bd1b3284adde94bff705469ff1c.jpeg

Sorry to be over a year late replying, but it seems they had over a page to themselves, in Hoseasons brochure of 1971.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C.Ricko said:

you won't see Crestella again, I took this before it was broken up earlier this year...

IMG_1816.jpg

Was she at Wayford Clive? There was a very similar looking(and very rotten) boat there until a few months ago but I never got around to taking a closer look(sailys aren't really my thing).

On 27/08/2020 at 22:01, WherryNice said:

Was she at Wayford Clive? There was a very similar looking(and very rotten) boat there until a few months ago but I never got around to taking a closer look(sailys aren't really my thing).

Yes, had been at Wayford for years, very poor state as you said.. 

• Thanks 1