Running Aground On Purpose

Ray

Sitting in the mud here in Kent at present, have two bathtubs in the marina too.. Ideally as long as it's soft mud all is well.. The beach at Salhouse is a bit firm and has a few stones now, I wouldn't do it but a well built bath tub should be fine.. You do get some of the best night sleep when sitting in the mud.

• Like 1

I've often thought of purposefully grounding on Breydon, perhaps half hour after high water. Problem, as I see it, would be that some well meaning individual would phone up the Coast Guard and all hell would break lose with the ghost of the Spirit of Breydon hovering in the deeper water and the Air-Sea rescue helicopter  hovering above. Don't know that they would appreciate me yelling 'sod off, I'm bird watching'!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

On mud close the loo flush intake first, I sat in mud at maldon on my old boat and the gas from below bubbles up into the loo and stinks.

Roger sand in the wash is a regular spot for cricket for the witham boaters, I know a couple of crews that have bbq'd on scroby sand.

If doing ot for underwater maintenance I think it's called careening or something.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I've often thought of purposefully grounding on Breydon, perhaps half hour after high water. Problem, as I see it, would be that some well meaning individual would phone up the Coast Guard and all hell would break lose with the ghost of the Spirit of Breydon hovering in the deeper water and the Air-Sea rescue helicopter  hovering above. Don't know that they would appreciate me yelling 'sod off, I'm bird watching'!

Phone up the coast guard and BA first.. let them know..

13 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Phone up the coast guard and BA first.. let them know..

I have often wondered if that would work. Also, if I were to do this on Breydon, how safe is it? What precautions if any should I take? I would plan on being there for a couple of tides, in Nyx.

4 minutes ago, Seagypsy said:

drop the steering seat over the bow to get on and off

That makes so much sense, I have always wondered why most wooden cruisers have a tall stool for the steering position, and that answers the puzzle nicely

14 hours ago, Smoggy said:

On mud close the loo flush intake first, I sat in mud at maldon on my old boat and the gas from below bubbles up into the loo and stinks.

Roger sand in the wash is a regular spot for cricket for the witham boaters, I know a couple of crews that have bbq'd on scroby sand.

If doing ot for underwater maintenance I think it's called careening or something.

Full marks for careening Smoggy. My mate beaches his yacht at Spurn to give it a coat of antifouling

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

I have often wondered if that would work. Also, if I were to do this on Breydon, how safe is it? What precautions if any should I take? I would plan on being there for a couple of tides, in Nyx.

Precautions wise don't do it just before HW on a big spring tide or you could be there a few weeks before the next tide floats you again.

When I went up to snape from orford I did it a couple of days before full springs to be sure of plenty of water and the next tide being bigger than the last just in case.

9 hours ago, Seagypsy said:

We have photos like this from the 70s drop the steering seat over the bow to get on and off

Valoma (13th Ipswich sea scouts boat) had a decorator's stepladder with pivoting feet just for Salhouse.

On 30/07/2019 at 22:04, Smoggy said:

doing ot for underwater maintenance I think it's called careening or something.

A good description of careening in "Great Easton"

The danger grounding on Breydon would be catching the edge of the channel and putting too muchangle on the boat as it comes to rest, allowing it to swamp as the tide rises. Make sure you have a flat bottom under you. 

I did run aground on Breydon, not on purpose, but because i got myself muddled up with the marker posts turning from the Berney Arms towards Burgh Castle. I was lucky and was only just beyond the marker, so i easily extracted myself when the tide rose. 

Whilst i was extremely annoyed with myself at first, as i have made that turn multiple times and never had a problem, i calmed down and spent a very pleasant day sat on the mud watching the birds and drinking a few G&T's to make me forget how stupid i had been in the first place. It was certainly very peaceful.

So whilst not an intended experience it was a very pleasant one.

• Like 3