Carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow...

YnysMon

38 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Not sure my nerves can stand it. We are moored opposite the entrance to Herbie Woods.:default_gbxhmm:

The most terrifying spot on the whole Broads system for a moored up private boat :default_rofl:

If you can stand it though, hours of constant entertainment to be had :default_biggrin:

7 minutes ago, vanessan said:

At least it’s not a changeover day and I think a certain person is not on his boat today. So you should be safe but don’t quote me on that! 😁

Who you talking about Mrs V? :default_smiley-angelic002:

1 hour ago, NorfolkNog said:

Been to the Falgate? Keep an eye open for errant Freemans although Captain Bligh is in port at the moment :default_norty:

Looking forward to your tale! 

Furthest I got is Latham's. Just as I think the sun is coming out we get another shower, so I've cracked open the wine instead.:default_drinks:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Saturday 19th September

We were remarkably relaxed about getting on our way this morning. In our hiring days we had always started off as early as possible, even if the handover wasn’t until 2pm. We always wanted to get our holiday going as soon as possible. Today we didn’t get up until after 8am, Graham took Harry to work, we finished doing our packing and got on our way around 11am.

Despite the late start, we tried stopping off at La Hogue Farm Shop Café for lunch, but when we saw how busy they were we turned the car around without even getting out. So we ended up approaching Norwich around 1pm. Our first stop was the Sainsbury at Thorpe St Andrew, were we did our food shop and picked up a couple of sandwiches for our lunch. By the time we had finished there it was just after 2, which was the earliest we were supposed to pick up Moonlight Shadow.

Unloading the car took a while, as we had brought the proverbial kitchen sink (almost), and it was about 4pm by the time we got on our way. We weren’t intending to go far anyway, possibly Langley Dyke if there was room. However, when we somewhere between Fleet Dyke and Beauchamp Arms Graham realised that he’d left his phone charger cable in the car, so we decided to go back for it and stay on our home mooring overnight. The advantage of that was that we could have shore power overnight (as the inverter has been taken away for repair) and pick up Broom’s Wifi.

We had a lovely peaceful evening, not doing very much at all, not even watching telly, though we did stick the radio on for a time. I stuck a couple of baking potatoes in the oven, and later on some Sainsbury’s Easy Cook BBQ Pork with Vegetables. Very tasty it was too. One of the good things about the syndicate boats is that there is generally a supply of foil, cling film and so on.

We had an early night, as we were intending to get up fairly early tomorrow, to catch the outgoing tide.

IMG_2482.thumb.jpg.1878a5955bfb1b7cf6645ad3a865b0e9.jpg

• Like 10

Well, we could manage without the inverter really, it’s just that us softies have got used to having the dimplex on overnight, so having shore power helps. Inverted was newish and has gone back to the manufacturer under warranty. They seem to be taking their time though. (Grr!) 

This morning I tried posting my second instalment. Took ages sorting out photos for it too, but when I tried saving it the Brooms internet died on me. Sigh. I think the rest will have to wait until I get home. At least I wrote it out in Word before posting, so all is not lost.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Well, we could manage without the inverter really, it’s just that us softies have got used to having the dimplex on overnight, so having shore power helps. Inverted was newish and has gone back to the manufacturer under warranty. They seem to be taking their time though. (Grr!) 

This morning I tried posting my second instalment. Took ages sorting out photos for it too, but when I tried saving it the Brooms internet died on me. Sigh. I think the rest will have to wait until I get home. At least I wrote it out in Word before posting, so all is not lost.

Many boats are fitted with Victron inverters

20 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Many boats are fitted with Victron inverters

As is ours on Norfolk Lady.  Unfortunately, when we had a new one fitted last year, several options were offered to the syndicate, who elected to have a Dometic unit fitted by Broom.  To be honest, it’s the second time it’s failed in less than a year and as far as I’m concerned, given that like most (if not all) syndicated craft, Moonlight Shadow was moored up and unused from March until the beginning of July, is extremely poor.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

As is ours on Norfolk Lady.  Unfortunately, when we had a new one fitted last year, several options were offered to the syndicate, who elected to have a Dometic unit fitted by Broom.  To be honest, it’s the second time it’s failed in less than a year and as far as I’m concerned, given that like most (if not all) syndicated craft, Moonlight Shadow was moored up and unused from March until the beginning of July, is extremely poor.

Hopefully us newer members can bring some fresh ideas to the fore, which may or may not be right, but at least we can see things with fresh eyes instead of long term loyalty when sometimes that loyalty isnt warranted...............

• Like 4

I wasn’t very happy when we returned to the boat yesterday evening, despite having had a lovely evening out meeting Malcolm (Mouldy) and his wife Debbie at the Bridge Inn, Acle (very impressed with their Covid precautions by the way, and the food was as good as ever).

When we got back to the boat we found the shore power was out. We put the Webasco heater on, but after half an hour or so I smelled the same sort of exhaust smell that we’d had on a previous week when the heater had failed. We switched the heater off and dug out our warmer PJ’s and the hot water bottles that are kept on the boat (they are under the sink). It wasn’t that bad overnight. It’s not that cold as yet.

This morning we have shore power back on, our friendly neighbouring liveaboard showed Graham where the trip switch is, so at least we have our electric heaters going again.

I emailed BCBM and got an almost instant response (pretty good for Sunday morning). Hopefully, we’ll hear from Brooms soon too.

In the meantime we are saying put for the morning, although the wind is less strong than it was.

• Like 1